Ignorance at a gun show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fujicon

Bearcat
I'm tempted to say this is kind of a thing for gun folk, to cling violently to their mistaken beliefs regardless what reality may be, but in truth this is just part and parcel of the human condition. Expecially for people who dedicate a lot of time and effort to specialize in a certain field. If you doubt how universal this phenomenon is, just look at academia and the pissing wars that happen between professors in the same field of study (not to mention politics).

bjmurp2

Bearcat
Despite being a bit tired today,, a buddy & I went to a gun show. As I was cruising the tables,, I spied a Ruger Single-Six, New Model, and casually picked it up.
The seller,, said "It's an old one" but it wasn't a "flattop."

Despite the fact it had base pin that was NOT a Ruger one,, and in general,, showed a bit of neglect, he tried to sell me on the "really old" gun. I politely said; "This gun is not that old,, it's a "New Model!" (And by the serial number was made in the 1990's.) He insisted it was very old,, but not a Flattop. I (again) politely showed him where it said it was a New Model as shown on the frame. That an "OLD" gun would be a 3-screw, non-transfer bar gun. And I (again) politely tried to explain that NONE of the Single-Six guns were made as Flattops. That yes,, there were FIXED sighted guns,, but not a FT Single-Six.
He flat told me; "I know my Rugers, and that gun is an old one, and they did make a Flattop in the .22's."

Well, I then reached in my pocket,, pulled out my pocket sized RENE Reference Guide,, and said; "Prove it. Here's the collectors bible of detailed Rugers." He looked at the cover,, and said; "I don't need no book to tell me anything."

I tried hard to be polite,, but his ignorance & insistence of what he believed,, caught me wrong. I know I could have just smiled & walked away after his first claim of it being "old" and not a Flattop. I guess I was too tired to let it go. I knew better,, but I actually had (initially) hoped he'd be open to a bit more correct information.

I guess I'm more used to the good folks here who appreciate good, correct information.
Gun shows blow my mind. What people ask for some items (not just guns) is unreal

HumphreyDaBear

Bearcat
Last gun show I went to was a joke. That was around 3-4 years ago. More trinkets and baubles than firearms or reloading supplies. As we were leaving we went past a table selling beat up AK's and SK's for several hundreds of dollars listed. I remember the SK's for $80.00. Downside was spending the next week cleaning and recleaning Cosmoline out of them.

Fujicon

Bearcat
Last gun show I went to was a joke. That was around 3-4 years ago. More trinkets and baubles than firearms or reloading supplies. As we were leaving we went past a table selling beat up AK's and SK's for several hundreds of dollars listed. I remember the SK's for $80.00. Downside was spending the next week cleaning and recleaning Cosmoline out of them.
I agree. Not sure why they've gone so downhill, but where I used to go to gun shows at least three times per year, I've not been to one for at least the past five years. Maybe it's just the Pacific Northwest where guns shows have become so lame, not sure.