Independence Day, 2024

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I posted this on my Facebook page. Hope it is O.K. to cpy it here:

A thought for Independence Day:

My great grand daughter is an Army veteran. I told her when she enlisted, "Nicole, once you put on that uniform, you never really take it off."

I was a young soldier in 1957, with the 10th Infantry, 5th Infantry Division, at Fort Ord,California. The parade ground was in front of post headquarters, and held the base flag, and a Civiel War era muzzle loading cannon. We were up and dressed in the chilly predawn darkness. we were marched, by platoons, to the parade ground and held in formation. We stood at ease, and there was a silence over the area, only muffled voices of platoon sergeants reporting the roll. Then there was a bugle call, "Call to Colors" and then the barked "Platoon -ten-HUT!" As the last note fade from the bugle call, there was a loud "BOOM!" and red flash as the cannon fired, belching a cloud of white smoke. Then the command, "Present ARMS!" And the notes of the National Anthem" sounded over the post. We were soldiers, and out backs stiffened and we stood a little straighter during that sound of "The Star Spangled Banner". At the cmmand "Order, Arms" we were soon dismissed and our duty day began.

Recently Congress authorized the hand salute may be rendered at such times by military retirees, honorably discharged veterans, and active duty personnel in civilian attire.

I will render that hand salute. As a soldier, I am a comrade with the Minute Men at Bunker Hill, The Rough Riders at San Juan Hill, Belleau Wood, Bastonge, Chosin Reseervoir, and Khe Sahn.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

I render the hand salute at the playing of the Star Spangled banner at the college and minor league baseball games I go to (and other places as well). I noticed that most all the guys wearing veteran hats do this also. I have only ever been asked once, after it was done playing and I drop my salute, why I did that. I pointed to my Retired USAF hat told the young person (late teens/early 20's) that once you have been in the military, it should never leave you and you should always strive to support and defend your country. I said a lot more and I reminded the person, and those who stopped to listen, that many men and women gave their lives through the years to protect and defend the USA and they should never be forgotten for their sacrifices to protect everyone in the US whether they agreed with others views or not - that is what made us a great country. He actually thanked me and shook my hand before he left.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I render the hand salute at the playing of the Star Spangled banner at the college and minor league baseball games I go to (and other places as well). I noticed that most all the guys wearing veteran hats do this also. I have only ever been asked once, after it was done playing and I drop my salute, why I did that. I pointed to my Retired USAF hat told the young person (late teens/early 20's) that once you have been in the military, it should never leave you and you should always strive to support and defend your country. I said a lot more and I reminded the person, and those who stopped to listen, that many men and women gave their lives through the years to protect and defend the USA and they should never be forgotten for their sacrifices to protect everyone in the US whether they agreed with others views or not - that is what made us a great country. He actually thanked me and shook my hand before he left.
Great speech!

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
I always tell folks; "I once swore to defend this Country,, against all enemies,, both foreign & domestic. But one thing I never did was have a swearing OUT ceremony or rescinded my Oath."
As such,, I still stand & I still salute.
It shows respect for our Flag, and I served under it. And all my brothers in arms,, no matter how long or where,, we are always brothers.

I posted this on my Facebook page. Hope it is O.K. to cpy it here:

A thought for Independence Day:

My great grand daughter is an Army veteran. I told her when she enlisted, "Nicole, once you put on that uniform, you never really take it off."

I was a young soldier in 1957, with the 10th Infantry, 5th Infantry Division, at Fort Ord,California. The parade ground was in front of post headquarters, and held the base flag, and a Civiel War era muzzle loading cannon. We were up and dressed in the chilly predawn darkness. we were marched, by platoons, to the parade ground and held in formation. We stood at ease, and there was a silence over the area, only muffled voices of platoon sergeants reporting the roll. Then there was a bugle call, "Call to Colors" and then the barked "Platoon -ten-HUT!" As the last note fade from the bugle call, there was a loud "BOOM!" and red flash as the cannon fired, belching a cloud of white smoke. Then the command, "Present ARMS!" And the notes of the National Anthem" sounded over the post. We were soldiers, and out backs stiffened and we stood a little straighter during that sound of "The Star Spangled Banner". At the cmmand "Order, Arms" we were soon dismissed and our duty day began.

Recently Congress authorized the hand salute may be rendered at such times by military retirees, honorably discharged veterans, and active duty personnel in civilian attire.

I will render that hand salute. As a soldier, I am a comrade with the Minute Men at Bunker Hill, The Rough Riders at San Juan Hill, Belleau Wood, Bastonge, Chosin Reseervoir, and Khe Sahn.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Thank you and family for your service.

I will echo Ron's words in attending events. In 2019 on Independence Day my wife and I were at a minor league baseball game where American flags were given to people at the gate. I was in line for the concession stand when a couple of teens tossed the flags on the ground. I proceeded to rip them a new one and noticed 2 USMC Lance Corporals and a man in shorts with an artificial leg bearing the Globe and Anchor. The 3 of them looked at me and nodded their approval. I picked up the discarded flags and told the 3 Marines that anything they wanted from the concession stand was on me. After we went to the concession stand I got them upgraded seats at home plate on the home team side and went to my car for USMC Challenge Coins for the 3 of them. It's the least I could do for the 3 of them.

Good for you guys, interesting in that I always thought Vets could salute with the national anthem and the flag being displayed. I am limited to holding my hand over my heart.
As a side note... I am often asked at a number of small stores around town if I'm a Vet.. and one of the few honorable things I can do these days is decline the discount they are offering.

While the USN is gone from town. The USA is a mere token of what it once was. The USAF remains many strong with several large housing areas supporting both Fort McAurthur and the air station at El Segundo. Every day the call to colors, retreat and taps can be heard across the town. It emanates from the parade field at the fort.

It been this way for my entire life. It would seem tragic were it ever to cease.

I've been known to come to attention and salute when the bugle blows and the national anthem plays.

I , like Ron, render a salute at the ball park when they play the national anthem. I look around, with my eyes only (never move the head), and notice few if any others saluting. The ball park, Ripken Stadium, is about 5 miles from a major Army post; Aberdeen Proving Ground.

gnappi

Blackhawk
It saddens me when sports players kneel or sit during the National Anthem, and it irritates me when people in the "arts" try to use their notoriety to influence public opinion on political and social issues. Hypocrisy infuriates me when actors and actresses who make a living using firearms yet are publicly and vocally anti second amendment.

As it is on the 4th when the VFW distributes the Buddy Poppy I donate and wear it. One year a fellow in a restaurant saw it and asked if I were a vet, I said I was and I promised my pop I'd wear one every year in respect of his service in Europe. The guy wouldn't let me pay for my breakfast and it choked me up... few things make me do that nowadays.

Latest posts