Just took home my one and only Ruger revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ml1209

Single-Sixer
And it is a beast. Redhawk .44 Magnum with 4" barrel. I found it at a pawn shop and had been making payments for the last 6 months. This is exactly the configuration I would want. The Alaskan has too short a barrel I think, and the Super Redhawk has too long.

These Redhawks are known to be much more durable than the Smith & Wesson model 29 revolvers, right?

k22fan

Blackhawk
Good choice and yes N frames will shoot loose and need a tune up before Red Hawks. If you are a reloader Handloader Magazine has published .44 magnum loads that are for Red Hawks and Super Red Hawks and are not to be used in S&Ws. On the other hand, few people actually shoot S&Ws loose and I prefer to mostly fire reduced loads through 4" barrel magnums to keep down the muzzle blast. Some firing with bear loads is fun too and it's nice to keep a couple boxes of them on hand for walks through the bears' forest. That's where your Red Hawk shines.

6gun

Hunter
Nice and a great choice for a one and only Ruger revolver, don't be surprised when one's not enough and you want more. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a 7 1/2" Redhawk and although I like shooting it, it really would be dificult to pack for any distance. The 4" or 5 1/2" Redhawk makes a lot more sense for packing in the woods and what other reason do you need a 44 magnum? It's a great gun and they have them in 45 colt also. :D

Gripgrabber

Bearcat
Hi there, great looking REDHAWK I think you as I will like the bantams. I just put a pair on my 4.25" (cut down 7 1/2")and magna ported. I like them better than the Hogues . I have 3 n frame 44s and the redhawk has a much better trigger, go figure! I also have an Alaskan but like the redhawk better!

dakota1911

Buckeye
I the 44 Mag. You can load it mild or in the case of the revolver you just bought, sort of wild.