Lake City M855 AR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I was comparing M855 NATO Lake City to the M855 62 grs I bought from Pats.
AG3NYlPl.jpg
fsa0xOYl.jpg
acKKmQvl.jpg
. Temps were in 90's. 100 yrds 4 shots in 5/8" group

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I just figured out how to paste stuff Can you tell?? When I bought this rifle, barrel nut was loose. I could not hit a dinner plate at 100 yrds Fought it for days. Drinking coffee one morning, I discovered I could twist front sight side to side. Called Ruger and was told to fix it my self. I did not want to remove my #3 Timney trigger. Gun shop tightened for me. Now it shoots better each time out. And I don't clean after every time. 300 rounds since last break down.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
AR 556 rifles shoot!! I was shooting reloads with several powders 748, 3031, 4166, 4198, BL-C (2), with the 62 Green Tips I bought from Pats Then factory M193 & M855. The best was NATO M855.

gunzo

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
AR 556 rifles shoot!! I was shooting reloads with several powders 748, 3031, 4166, 4198, BL-C (2), with the 62 Green Tips I bought from Pats Then factory M193 & M855. The best was NATO M855.

Well yours shoots for sure. Those are some of the best M855 groups I've seen. My friend's & my own target grade AR's didn't like the lot we had. We all went to different ammo.

Good shooting.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I loaded several powders, BL-C(2) and 748 shot well with the 62 gr. also 3031, 4198, IMR 4166 . I'm going to shoot again this weekend. I had to order a new .223 sizing die. I stuck a case in a Lee sizer. I have another Lee, but decap pin is missing, for some reason. With the pin in stuck case, I don't think I can drill .207 and tap 1/4 28 and remove it. I spray with One Shot, guess not enough.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
gunzo said:
daveg.inkc said:

Well yours shoots for sure. Those are some of the best M855 groups I've seen. My friend's & my own target grade AR's didn't like the lot we had. We all went to different ammo.

Good shooting.
What twist rate is yours?

gunzo

Hunter
"What twist rate is yours?"

Good question. The charts say the 62 needs a 1-8, While that's not written in stone, it's a good place to start.

About 6 rifles tested
-pre Rem Bushmaster V Match 1-9
-3 Rock River varmints 1-8
-Pre Rem DPMS 1-9
-Colt H-Bar 1-?

Reloads usually win, but if you can beat those green tip groups, I'd say you got some work to do.

altajava

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
I just figured out how to paste stuff Can you tell?? When I bought this rifle, barrel nut was loose. I could not hit a dinner plate at 100 yrds Fought it for days. Drinking coffee one morning, I discovered I could twist front sight side to side. Called Ruger and was told to fix it my self. I did not want to remove my #3 Timney trigger. Gun shop tightened for me. Now it shoots better each time out. And I don't clean after every time. 300 rounds since last break down.

Years ago when I first started going to the range on a regular basis I cleaned the snot out of whatever I took every single time. I quickly decided it wasn't worth it. Now I avoid dirty ammo like the plague(Blazer for one) and what I do reload for I use the cleanest burning powder I can find(still an ongoing process). Now I wipe down the exterior and lube where necessary after every range trip but I don't break them down to clean until about 500 rounds. The only exceptions would be some of the things I have that would take well over 1 year to accumulate even 100 rounds of use.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I just took apart. A little black soot, pulled a bore snake thru, took BCG apart, cleaned everything. Nice thing about AR's easy to work on, get stock out of way Eugene Stoner had a great idea.

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello Dave...
That's some dern-good shooting you did.
It speaks well for both you and your rifle.

I'm anxious to see how your hand loading progresses.
As to the use of "One Shot", I found early-on that filling the block by skipping every other space in a sort of checker board pattern helps me get better coverage on each case.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DGW