Lanyard Ring on Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
Anyone install one of these on a Redhawk? I kind of like the look, but I'm not 100% sold. Anyone have any tips, pics, etc?

stantheman86

Buckeye
Do you mean drilling the butt of he grip frame, or using the Bowen ones that screw into a set of Hogues to replace the screw?

I thought about getting one for my 4" GP100 that has a set of Hogue Tamers, just to add some "tactical bling" for lack of a better word.....I need to make sure they fit Tamers though. I would also use this gun as a "woods carry" gun since I hike on my wooded property a lot, and would actually use the lanyard.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
There is another very cheap way. If you have a set of Hogue grips you can order the lanyard screw from Hogue for less than $4.99 It is cheaper than drilling your frame and spending $40.00 for the Bowen.

P1010077.jpg

P1010080-1.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
Bountyhunter said:
Anyone install one of these on a Redhawk? I kind of like the look, but I'm not 100% sold. Anyone have any tips, pics, etc?

Here's an image of one Bowen did. I kinda like the whole job, except I would rather it remain a .45 Colt sixshooter..

1917_r1_c1.jpg

stantheman86

Buckeye
Is that a fixed sight Redhawk!

If I had the cash I would have something like that done to a stainless 7.5" .44 Mag RH.

Hugh

Buckeye
stantheman86 said:
Is that a fixed sight Redhawk!

If I had the cash I would have something like that done to a stainless 7.5" .44 Mag RH.

Yes. Here's what Bowen did:

Patterned after the U. S. martial revolvers of World War I , this Redhawk sports a S&W M&P style fixed-sight top strap and a round, unribbed barrel with a dovetail windage-adjustable front sight. A lanyard ring is fitted in keeping with the service nature of the gun.

The fluted 5-shot cylinder is chambered for the .50 Action Express cartridge, a rimless round retained, appropriately enough, in classic moon clips as were the .45 ACP cartridges used in the S&W and Colt revolvers.

Hand finishing and Roy Fishpaw checkered French walnut grips add a touch of commercial refinement.

I'm kinda-sorta keeping my eyes open for a blue 5-1/2" .45 Colt Redhawk. When I find one I just may ask Bowen how much it would cost to do that for me, but leave it a .45 Colt sixshooter. They sight their work for 25 yards at no extra cost. If the client wants a different range it will cost extra. I'm happy with 25 yards.

stantheman86

Buckeye
The more I look at that pic, the more it seems the gun "needs" to be blue to have that Classic look.

I would go with a 5.5" blue .44 Magnum and have it sighted for 25 yards with Specials, and just use it as a .44 Special range gun.

Something like that is too pretty to carry.

I'm sure I would cringe at the price tag to have work like that done :shock:

lfpiii said:
There is another very cheap way. If you have a set of Hogue grips you can order the lanyard screw from Hogue for less than $4.99 It is cheaper than drilling your frame and spending $40.00 for the Bowen.

P1010077.jpg

P1010080-1.jpg
I like it, so I checked out my 4 inch Redhawk with hogue bantam grips. It looks different. The grips don't cover the metal, there is no hole to screw into and the serial number is there. Rats. :cry:
gramps

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Call Hogue at 800 GET-GRIP (800 438-4747) or (805) 239-1440 ask for

part number 00128 Lanyard 1/2" (length) ring screw satin nickle

part number 00129 Lanyard 1" (length) ring screw satin nickle

I recommend that you order a couple of each as Hogue only makes a batch or two a year. These are not standard catalog items.

woodsy

Blackhawk
lfpiii said:
Call Hogue at 800 GET-GRIP (800 438-4747) or (805) 239-1440 ask for

part number 00128 Lanyard 1/2" (length) ring screw satin nickle

part number 00129 Lanyard 1" (length) ring screw satin nickle

I recommend that you order a couple of each as Hogue only makes a batch or two a year. These are not standard catalog items.
And, again you people come through!
Thanks to the info above, I ordered some lanyard screws today, from Hogue. I guess they still make them.
Thanks again,
Woodsy