38 Special Information needed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Well after viewing your picture of your manuals you previously fooled me into thinking you had no manuals. I am sure you did not mean to do this.

I hope these warning do not discourage you from using Bullseye

It seems you've mistaken me for a different poster in this thread; I've been reloading many calibers for over 35+ years.

No matter. Your advice is sound and a valuable addition to this thread.

I guess I am odd man out. I have several loading manuals, but I also look at manuals on line from the powder company's website. The ones online will show changes quicker. When I decide to reload I check multiple places, On line and printed manuals. I haven't been reloading as long as the rest of y'all. I didn't get started til 2005. I have gone through multiple pounds of 2400, red dot, and 4227, Winchester 296/H110. I finally got around to buying Universal Clays, Unique, and Blue Dot. Just haven't used much of it. I usually shoot .357 mag, .44 spcl/.44 Mag. I have a single stage Lee that I bought at a pawn shop, Lee dies bought at gun stores. I also buy from estates where the asking price is what is on the canister.
gramps

GasGuzzler

Hunter
My favorite source of info is on the internet from the powder manufacturer. Books are just guides and they sometimes (often) disagree but they're better than some dude on the internet. Yeah, were' all some dude on the internet but you get my drift. .38 Special is likely the easiest cartridge to reload and the powders listed are some of about 40 that will work. I personally won't load .38 Special or .357 Magnum with anything but cast lead of at least 158 grains but plated bullets work fine.

Paul B

Hunter
Note that some pressure data in the Lyman manuals are in C.U.P. and some in P.S.I. which bothers the hell out of me. The 30-06 is a great offender as one manual from circa 1964 and the latest I have is their 50th and the data using 4895 for 150 gr. bullets is exactly the same and marked C.U.P. for pressure. In 1964, data for 4895 was virtually interchangeable. Not so today. All I can say is the load I used in the 30-06 back then in a certain rifle is now way too hot in that very same rifle regardless of whether I use H or IMR 4895. I work up extremely carefully when using data marked C.U.P. these days from any manual.

Interesting to note that Lyman now uses 51.0 gr; with 150 gr. bullet to be max in the 30-06 while I have several earlier manual by Lyman that show 51.0 gr. to be the starting load. At one time, and this is for the newer guys than some of us, one bought 4895 from a barrel and placed in a paper sack. The seller would write,"Use 3031 data, or maybe use data for 4064. Some times it was data for 4320. back then the different lots of wartime surplus 4895 sold by Hodgden varied that much in burning rate. Things could get interesting.
Paul B.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I guess I am odd man out. I have several loading manuals, but I also look at manuals on line from the powder company's website. The ones online will show changes quicker. When I decide to reload I check multiple places, On line and printed manuals. I haven't been reloading as long as the rest of y'all. I didn't get started til 2005. I have gone through multiple pounds of 2400, red dot, and 4227, Winchester 296/H110. I finally got around to buying Universal Clays, Unique, and Blue Dot. Just haven't used much of it. I usually shoot .357 mag, .44 spcl/.44 Mag. I have a single stage Lee that I bought at a pawn shop, Lee dies bought at gun stores. I also buy from estates where the asking price is what is on the canister.
gramps
Similar MO here. Either look at my notes, or check several sources, both manuals and online. Mostly online, as I only have 3 or 4 manuals.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have several different useable powders, lots of brass and primers. The only bullets I have til I get paid are Speer 158 grain JSP's and JHP'S. I have been unable to find load information for using those bullets for 38 Special loads. Lots of information for 357 Magnum loads using those two bullets. On payday I will buy some 158 grain SWC lead bullets that will work with both 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I want to keep them at about 800 FPS.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Latest posts