44 special load in 44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Just want to stay safe. I understand reduced loads can be dangerous.So is it ok,,safe to load a let's say 240 gr rnfp in a 44 mag casing and use a powder charge recommended for this bullet in a 44 spl.
If I understand correctly the 44 split loadings cam be used in 44 mag casings safely.

Last edited:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Read this middle paragraph. I'm trying to figure all this out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_191657_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_191657_Chrome.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 86

contender

Ruger Guru
A lot depends upon WHICH powder & primer combo you use.

I load .44 Spl in .44 Spl cases using a tried & proven load of 7.5 grns of Unique. But if I wanted to load that same load in a .44 Mag case,, I'd measure things to make sure there was not an excessive amount of air space between the base of the bullet and the top of the powder. There will be an air space in the .44 Spl case,, and it should only increase by the same amount as the different dimensions of the cases.

But if you wish to be safe,, you can do what many used to do long ago,, (myself included,) when using a very hot fast powder,, (Bullseye,) in .38 spl cases. #.2 grns of powder & a WC bullet. To assure correct ignition, and uniformity I would place a "space filler" of a small wad of poly fiber fill material (normally used as pillow stuffing,) on top of the powder, below the bullet. It would occupy the empty air space, and allow uniform ignition.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
Crow#2, I am not trying to belittle you, but maybe save you. Do not get load data from the internet. Buy a hand loading manual. Speer, hornady, and several others are on the market and affordable. Please don't blow up a gun or even worse, YOU.

Rum River

Bearcat
My personal favorite for manuals is the Lyman, the current edition is #51. For newer reloaders it has a lot of 'how to' information.

Lyman doesn't sell powders or bullets, with the result that their load data covers more makers of components.

If I get data from the web it's only from a powder manufacturer's website.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I've got the lee manual had Speer and hornaday 20 plus years ago but got out of reloading. Traded off everything like a dummy.lol
I feel that I am more concerned about the aspects of reliading now. Meaning I want to know more. So much to learn with burn rates, pressures, sammi specs, toggle links. Starting ti think I should have bought a diff rifle than the uberti 45 lc but it's such a cool looking gun. Besides I don't hunt anymore.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm guessing that Crow's problem can't be addressed in a handloader's manual because, unless they've changed, the manuals don't offer loads that address using smaller cases; they are case specific. So, the manual itself would not help the Crow. Yes/No?

J.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Johnnu2:
Loading manuals list loads that are safe in a certain case, certain bullet, certain powder. If they don't "offer loads that address using smaller cases", then that means that they probably aren't safe/may cause issues.

NikA

Buckeye
Nika I do have a manual. Just a little overl cautious.
RTFM. Compare data between the .44 Spl and .44 Mag loads to determine where the magnum can be downloaded to special velocities. It is generally not an issue but may not be safe with all loads due to pressure spikes, etc.

Consider it this way: if a listed magnum load produces velocities in the special range (900 fps or less), it's effectively a special load in a magnum case. Most .44 data I have in manuals lists this type of load.

Dan in MI

Staff member
One manual is not enough. I spent an hour yesterday poring over 8 manuals and three manufacturer websites trying to maximize a particular load doing a similar exercise as you. It took a lot of looking and calculating as the manuals overlapped and some had the starting point at the end point of others. You need to KNOW what you are doing if you stray from the printed formulas. I did a fair amount of wildcatting when I was younger, so I am not afraid to go outside the book, but I am darn sure I did a lot of research before I do.

@crow#2 you might consider loaddata.com as there is a mind boggling amount of .44 Magnum data there from many, many sources. I've been a subscriber for years now and haven't bought a paper manual in quite some time.

Paul B

Hunter
I load for both the .44 Spl. and the .44 mag. My pet load for the .44 Spl. id 7.5 gr. Unique. You can use that load in the .44 mag. as well. Bullets used are 240 to 250 gr. cast bullets depending on which mold I happen to be casting with at any particular time. The only problem with it in magnum brass os a slight loss in velocity.

Where one might/will run into a problem is if using one of the slower burning powders like W296/H110 and maybe 2400 although I've always reserved 2400 strictly for the .357 and .44 magnums. FWIW, my preference for the lighter loads is Unique and 2400 for full power magnums. I only shoot my home cast bullets in my handguns.
Paul B.

I have loaded thousands of .44's, Special and Magnum, over a lot of years, some of them, soft-puffers in a magnum case. I've always got the recipe from a known and respected reloading manual. And when doing so, I find a satisfactory recipe using very bulky Hercules shotgun powders. Those powders use up enough case, I do not worry about a detonation.

Latest posts