44 shot capsules

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cwweld

Bearcat
Does anyone have any idea where to find the Speer shot capsules in 44 cal. Thanks in advance
There is an auction site called Obenauf Auctions, in their "Pro Auction" section there are some 44 cal shot capsules listed in one of the lots. Trick is I think it is a local outfit to northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin - you might contact them to see if they will sell/ship to you (unless you are local to Round Lake, Illinois).

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
There is an auction site called Obenauf Auctions, in their "Pro Auction" section there are some 44 cal shot capsules listed in one of the lots. Trick is I think it is a local outfit to northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin - you might contact them to see if they will sell/ship to you (unless you are local to Round Lake, Illinois).
I've been looking for a couple years and graf & sons finally got them in stock and before I could buy some myself they were gone.

cwweld

Bearcat
1000003889.jpg

Hankus

Blackhawk
I actually saw some of the CCI .44 Magnum shot shells at (I think) Wally World the other day. I passed because I've only shot two of the ten rounds I bought ~15 years ago; one to see how it patterned and one on a big Eastern Diamondback maybe ten years ago.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I actually saw some of the CCI .44 Magnum shot shells at (I think) Wally World the other day. I passed because I've only shot two of the ten rounds I bought ~15 years ago; one to see how it patterned and one on a big Eastern Diamondback maybe ten years ago.
Did it do a good job on the snake? I actually make my own without the capsules now. It's easy but takes a little time. Powder ,thick paper wad ,shot ontop filled almost to the mouth and topped of with a gaz check and sealed with either wax or super glue is what I use.

rotor

Single-Sixer
I actually have a couple of boxes that I bought years ago, unopened. This guy makes some nice loads that could easily be adapted to .44. Shot capsules break too easily when trying to crimp. Maybe a 3d printed model will come up as Speer-CCI seems to not make them very often. I actually think the following is better. Could easily be adapted to .44.

CCI has the ammo in stock, https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3744.html

Last edited:

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I have a small amount of the Speer capsules in 357, 44 and 45 from 20 years ago or more . I use A round or two some summers and some years none . As there seems to be a pretty good demand for them , I wonder why they are not being produced ? Nothing hi-tech about them .😐 as someone above posted you can fabricate them DIY. There are quite a few U-tube posts on making them from scratch . Maybe a call to Speer would get an answer ?

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I actually have a couple of boxes that I bought years ago, unopened. This guy makes some nice loads that could easily be adapted to .44. Shot capsules break too easily when trying to crimp. Maybe a 3d printed model will come up as Speer-CCI seems to not make them very often. I actually think the following is better. Could easily be adapted to .44.

CCI has the ammo in stock, https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3744.
Yeah , looks like the shot capsules are being made ..... A bit expensive though , but they are not target ammo .

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer

CCI has the ammo in stock, https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3744.html
That's what I do except I top them off with a gas check. And they are actually better than factory.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I have a small amount of the Speer capsules in 357, 44 and 45 from 20 years ago or more . I use A round or two some summers and some years none . As there seems to be a pretty good demand for them , I wonder why they are not being produced ? Nothing hi-tech about them .😐 as someone above posted you can fabricate them DIY. There are quite a few U-tube posts on making them from scratch . Maybe a call to Speer would get an answer ?
I called numerous times and emailed them as well but never heard back from them.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I called numerous times and emailed them as well but never heard back from them.
Wow, I just called them last week for a bullet chart and they promptly mailed me one . The chart they sent me was 2023 , very pleasant gal told me to call back in a month as the 2024 bullet chart should be available . I will ask about the shot capsules .

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Wow, I just called them last week for a bullet chart and they promptly mailed me one . The chart they sent me was 2023 , very pleasant gal told me to call back in a month as the 2024 bullet chart should be available . I will ask about the shot capsules .
Yes ive have pleasant experiences with them over the years but the capsules don't seem to be a priority

Hankus

Blackhawk
Did it do a good job on the snake? I actually make my own without the capsules now. It's easy but takes a little time. Powder ,thick paper wad ,shot ontop filled almost to the mouth and topped of with a gaz check and sealed with either wax or super glue is what I use.
It slowed him down enough that my next round took his head off. During snake season I usually carry alternating shot shells and hog killer rounds in my revolvers.

Latest posts