LCP 380 - not exactly DAO, but what?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
The LCP 380 has what I would consider a "not exactly DAO action".

We all know what a single action is: on a single action such as a M1911A1, pulling the trigger simply releases the sear, the hammer drops, the round is fired, the slide cycles to re-cock the hammer and chamber the next round. The single action is that of the trigger essentially dropping the hammer. This is true of revolvers as well.

With double action, actually DA/SA, such as on a revolver, a Beretta 92FS, or CZ 75B, if the hammer is already down (such as by decocking it), pulling the trigger is a heavier pull which will cock the hammer (first action), release the sear and drop the hammer (second action) which fires the round. On a such a double action revolver or double action semiauto, the hammer can always be pulled back manually so that the shot is made with a lighter single action pull.

On a true double action only (DAO) revolver or semiauto pistol, there is no option or way to access the hammer. The only way to fire the gun is with that longer heavier trigger pull which always cocks the hammer, then releases the sear and hammer to fire. On such a gun, the trigger will do this every time, whether the round fired or not, or even if there is no round and you're dry-firing.

With the LCP 380 (not LCP II 380), the double action only process is not quite DAO as above. In order for the trigger to cock the hammer and then release the sear, the slide must be operated first. Otherwise, the trigger does nothing. For example, if you dry fire a true DAO with snap caps, each pull of the trigger will cock the hammer, release the sear and hammer, and the firing pin will strike the cap. You can do this indefinitely. On the LCP 380 it will do that once. Subsequent pulls of the trigger do nothing. So you must operate the slide, which apparently resets or pre-cocks the hammer so that the trigger can be used. That sounds a lot like the striker fired LCP II 380, but I've been told striker fired firearms do more of a "pre-cocking". From experience with my friend's LCP II 380, the trigger feels different and has a lighter pull. For that reason, for extra safety, some prefer the longer, heavier pull of the LCP 380.

But what is the true description of the LCP 380's action? DAO isn't quite right by its conventional meaning. I know it's not a DAK action.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
It's a DAO with a hammer block. This is from the P3AT manual but it's the same thing.

1719831785022.png

Since the original is a DAO The copy would be also.

1719832017293.png

IIRC it doesn't require a full slide cycle to reset, just a 1/4" or so pullback & release.

Last edited:

pisgah

Buckeye
Glock, the company that first came out with the modern version of the action, called it the "safe action". Opinions vary as to the accuracy of that term, but at least it won't shoot without a trigger pull...

DGW1949

Hunter
To paraphrase the late Col. Cooper.....It's purty-clear to me that what we have here is a solution in search of a problem.

DGW

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Glock, the company that first came out with the modern version of the action, called it the "safe action". Opinions vary as to the accuracy of that term, but at least it won't shoot without a trigger pull...

I believe the Glock, just like the SIG P365 and so many other semiautos today, are considered "striker fired". So, not DAO, but after a shot it requires slide movement to "pre-cock" the hammer. Pulling the trigger completes the cocking and then does the sear and hammer release.

Pal K said: "That sounds a lot like the striker fired LCP II 380, but I've been told striker fired firearms do more of a "pre-cocking". The LCP II is hammer fired. Hammer is the thing sticking up.

OWZVyYGm.jpg

Last edited:

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
Pal K said: "That sounds a lot like the striker fired LCP II 380, but I've been told striker fired firearms do more of a "pre-cocking". The LCP II is hammer fired. Hammer is the thing sticking up.

OWZVyYGm.jpg

Oops! My fault for not doing enough research. Ok, well, they did improve the feel of the trigger on the LCP II - to me it seems lighter and more precise.

P365 is definitely striker fired.

mac66

Single-Sixer
To paraphrase the late Col. Cooper.....It's purty-clear to me that what we have here is a solution in search of a problem.

DGW

I worshiped at the Alter of Cooper growing up but the older I got the more I realized that there is more than one way to do things. Cooper was like the Amish in some ways, rejecting any new technology after a certain point in time. I actually kind of like, in some ways, my Ruger P97 45 more than my 1911.

Oops! My fault for not doing enough research. Ok, well, they did improve the feel of the trigger on the LCP II - to me it seems lighter and more precise.

P365 is definitely striker fired.
Improve for whom? I love the DAO trigger. I have owned Many LCP ever since they came out. The first LCP the Gen 1 was a horrible DAO. then they came out with the LCP GEN 2 (not to be confused with the LCP ll. Which later came out, but now only in LCP 22. Or at least called that. Same trigger now in the Max etc.
The Gen 2 which is a marvelous DAO. Very smooth, rolling trigger like a fine Snubbie. Actually much like the feel of the Kahr. I hated it when they came out with the Light typical striker fired trigger with the Glock Safety mech. Each to his own. I love the Kahr's. For myself, one of the greatest triggers ever designed. But that is my opinion.

P4cp2qO.png