LCP MAX 380 rattle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike R

Bearcat
I was just wondering if anybody else has this issue or is this normal for the LCP 380 max. I just recently picked one up new from the local gun store and seems to rattle/loose quite a bit on the slide. From what I understand that's not unusual, but this is my first Little 380. I would Appreciate anybody's input on this issue. Just want to make sure everything is up to par before I fire it. I haven't had a chance yet to make it back to the gun store to talk to them, but also I've read where a lot of people have contacted Ruger. Seems like most were informed that it is normal for the 380 slide to rattle some and in specs. I appreciate any input.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Perfectly normal and nothing to cause any concerns. Mine only has a noticeable rattle when cocked and unloaded...After dry firing, the rattle is quite minimal, same goes for when it's loaded with a chambered round.

Ruger does not make guns with tight tolerances. At least not their pistols. Most are lose to a certain degree, some worst than others. At long as it fires, I would not be concerned. Change out the recoil spring very often and replace the take down pin with one make out of steel.

Mike R

Bearcat
Perfectly normal and nothing to cause any concerns. Mine only has a noticeable rattle when cocked and unloaded...After dry firing, the rattle is quite minimal, same goes for when it's loaded with a chambered round.
Thank you. I haven't used this thing at all yet so I will take notice when loaded and unloaded. Thanks for the feedback.

think of it this way... the reason the AK-47 worked so well was for this specific reason... The designer figured out that the gun did not need to be made tight to function well.... loose is good .... I think the problem with most handguns that need a break in period is probably because of this... especially if you put a lot of rounds through one fast and it heats up... add to that your hands getting tired and a new heavy recoil spring and jams are more likely to happen.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I was just wondering if anybody else has this issue or is this normal for the LCP 380 max. I just recently picked one up new from the local gun store and seems to rattle/loose quite a bit on the slide. From what I understand that's not unusual, but this is my first Little 380. I would Appreciate anybody's input on this issue. Just want to make sure everything is up to par before I fire it. I haven't had a chance yet to make it back to the gun store to talk to them, but also I've read where a lot of people have contacted Ruger. Seems like most were informed that it is normal for the 380 slide to rattle some and in specs. I appreciate any input.
All LCPs and LC9s, Max9, rattle like that. It has never been a theme of conversation until a youtube reviewer talked about it as a funny thing, and those who never had one of them guns started to question whether it would be something of concern. My LCP Max (I never had the original LCP) and my Max9 both rattle, and none of them had given me any problem at all. They are reliable and accurate enough to hit what you intend to hit. The sights are very good to my opinion. The LCP Max impressed me as not having much recoil compared to other 2 380s that I had before.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
think of it this way... the reason the AK-47 worked so well was for this specific reason... The designer figured out that the gun did not need to be made tight to function well.... loose is good .... I think the problem with most handguns that need a break in period is probably because of this... especially if you put a lot of rounds through one fast and it heats up... add to that your hands getting tired and a new heavy recoil spring and jams are more likely to happen.
That makes sense. Also if you consider that those little guns are made for concealed carry getting lint, being loose will help to maintain the desired reliability in carry guns.

larry8

Blackhawk
I guess that is a problem with the less expensive pistols. I have a few revolvers and they are very tight, no rattle, very close tolerances. Most of my pistols don't rattle either, although none of them have a lot of rounds put thru them.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I checked my Security 9 today, and that one also rattles. It does rattle less than the smaller LCP Max and the Max9 though. Both the P95 and my old LC9 rattle as well.

Latest posts