LCR and Moon Clips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I was on the TK web site, and noticed that they make a 5 shot moon clip for the 38/357 LCR. They also have a source to get the cylinder machined.

Does anyone have this modification done to their LCR?

How do you like it, any issues.

How do you carry spare moon clips?

Thanks

Bob

Boge

Single-Sixer
I would never recommend moon clips for CCW as they are fragile and bend easily. For games, yes. CCW, never. Get a good speedloader or speed strips instead. :wink:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Boge
Thank You, I do understand your concern about how fragile moon clips can be.

I do have a little experiance with moon clip guns. I currently have a 625, 610, 310NG, and a 686 Power Custom Combat that Clark modified to use moon clips. I have also owned an SP101 in 9mm.

Just interested in the LCR conversion, and opinions of how well it works.

Bob

greybeard43

Bearcat
I would assume that you want to utilize .357 sig in the LCR. I don't see what you would be gaining except expense. 38/357 seems to me much more versitile and cheaper to shoot, but to each his own.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I seriously doubt there is room in an LCR for 40 cal cases, so I suspect he is wanting moon clips for his 38/357 for some other reason. That is why I asked. He said nothing about re-chambering, and I don't think any responsible gunsmith would rechamber an LCR into the larger diameter and high pressure 357 sig which would significantly increase back thrust.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I guess I need to do more explaining about moon clips.
Moon clips are a device that will hold all 5 of your 38 or 357 shells ready for loading in the LCR. You snap the shells into the moon clip at the under cut just above the rim. The Moon Clip and ammunition just drop in the gun as a unit.

The cylinder has to be recut on the back to provide clearance for the moon clip to recess into when loaded into the LCR.
The recess can be done one of two ways. The entire back of the cylinder can be machined off .025. In which case you would be required to use the moon clip for the shell to head space correctly. Not the Hot Set Up.

The other more common method is to just make the machine cut large enough in diameter for the clip to drop into, leaving an outer ring on the cylinder uncut. With this method you can load loose rounds, as they will make contact with the outer non-machined ring, and head space off of it in the conventional manner. Using speedloaders ammunition still headspaces of the outer ring like loose rounds. When using the moon clips to load with, all 5 rounds drop in the cylinder. The moon clip drops into the machined recess cut, out of the way, and you shut the gun. When you eject the ammunition, all 5 rounds come back out of the gun still in the moon clips as a unit.

The disadvantages of using 38/357 Magnum moon clips: First 38/357 ammunition has different size undercuts at the rim Brand to Brand. This undercut is where the shell snaps into the moon clip. Being different sizes brand to brand really messes things up. Winchester cases have a very small undercut and are not recommended at all. Starline is a little looser, but still not suitable for the .025 clips. Remington, and Speer should work ok. Other brands need checked for clearance. Bottom line they can be a pain due to variations in the undercut size brand to brand.
Next with a thickness of .025 LCR Moonclips are a little on the fragile side. The TK clips that are EDM cut are reportedly a little more durable than stamped out moonclips. You must be careful and not bend the clips, as they will not work when bent, they will lock up the cylinder not allowing it to rotate freely, if at all. The Moon Clips are normally bent when loading, or unloading them roughly. The way this normally happens in this application is attempting to snap ammunition into the clips that has to tight an undercut to fit correctly.

Another down side would be doing a top off reload. All 5 shells come out as a unit, loaded or empty. I do not have any TK LCR moon clips to check, but you may not be able to remove and reinstall loose ammunition in the clips just using your fingers.

I believe I have covered the negative issues using moon clips. So why use them at all?
01. They are the fastest reloading method available for the LCR.
02. They eliminate the Grip Clearance problem using speedloaders.
03. In a match where you cannot pick up your brass, you can pick up your speedloaders, which in the case of moonclips means you also get your brass back with the clips. If in a selfdefense situation in say East St Louis Ill. or Chicago you might need to pick up your brass before not talking with the Police after defending yourself if you have that option.

Shooting Factory Ammunition: The process is simple. Find a brand of ammunition that works well in the moon clips, and use it.

Reloading: I have dozens of different head stamps on my several thousand rounds of 38 Special range brass, as do several of the readers of this post. When reloading for Moon Clips you will need to sort it out into Moon Clip and Non Moon Clip piles. I would start by sorting the head stamps first. We know by now from the TK web site that Winchester and Starline are in the Non Moon Clip Pile. Other brands will need checked for under cut width and depth. If the undercut width is narrow the ammunition will be too rigid in the moon clips if it fits at all, and not load well in the LCR. If the under cut is too shallow the ammunition will not snap in the clips fully, and not work well. If the undercut is to deep the ammunition may be excessively loose and come out of the clips in your pocket. By sorting you will be able to determine which brass works best.
After you determine what works best and sort out the brass, keep it seperated for moon clip use.

Loading and Unloading Moon Clips. Most tools are designed around the more common moon clip sizes for the 25-2, 625, and 325 45acp revolvers, and the 610, and 310 10mm revolvers. After that the 7 and 8 shot competition 38/357 Smith and Wessons would be addressed next.
TK lists a Moon Clip Loading and Unloading tool for the SP101, that should also work for the LCR. It is $50. Using the correct tool will definently help you to not bend the moon clips.

The price of having the cylinder machined is $100.
The price of the Moon Clip Loading Tool is $50
The Best available EDM Cut Moon Clips are $60 per 10.

It will cost $210 to get started using moon clips in the LCR doing it right with the moon clip loader. Roughly half what you gave for the LCR. At that price it is not a modification for everyone. A moon clip conversion to an LCR will be for those needing the fastest reload possible for self defense or competition.

My LCR Conversion experiance is by association. I have a Clark Moon Clip Conversion on my 686 Power Custom Combat Revolver. It has all the same issues using 38/357 ammo as the LCR. It also has the same .025 thickness moon clips. I had this conversion done almost 20 years ago. I have not really worked with it as I should have because the wife took over the 686 years ago for her house gun.

Smith &Wesson has a Moon Clip version of atleast 3 of their J frames. The 442, 642, and I think the 640. Moon Clip J Frames while not common, are out their for the fastest reload possible in a small carry revolver.

I have a 686 4", a 625 3", a 610 4" and a 310 Night Guard 2.5" at the moment that all use moon clips. I also have owned an SP101 9mm moon clip gun. I have also owned 1917's, Webley's, and 25-2's over the years. I have been using moon clips for 35 years, so I do have a little experiance with them. Just not in many 5 shot guns.

We may still have some one step up to the plate, who has had this modification done to an LCR, or has first hand J frame experiance using moon clips. Inquiring Minds want to know your experiances using them.

Bob

louiethelump

Buckeye
It seems to me that it is just a reload benefit if any benefit at all unless you shoot competition.

At a cost of half the price of another gun, I believe I would just buy a second gun for the fastest reload of all, if I felt the need for a reload on a self defense carry gun. (Or maybe just carry a 15 shot auto pistol) At least that way you have not destroyed the resale value of the gun.

Thanks for all the information, but it sounds like a rich man's toy to me.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
louiethelump said:
Thanks for all the information, but it sounds like a rich man's toy to me.

Aren't they all :) I mean really, how many times have you spent money on something you wanted but not necessarily needed? I can't say I'm interested in this mod on an LCR but often though about an Alaskan in 454 set up for moon clips. I could then shoot 45 acp to 454 in it. It's beyond my means at this time though.

George B

Bearcat
In response to the value of moon clips and the LCR conversion question:

Moon clips for 38/357 allow for extremely fast reloading. They are, unfortunately, very fragile things-especially for 38/357. I have this conversion for my Rhino, but do not yet have this conversion for my LCR. I am considering this conversion, however, for a reason that is commonly overlooked (but alluded to in an earlier thread).

If your revolver is kept loaded with a moonclip, then when you eject, ALL of your rounds dump out cleanly. No stuck rounds.
I wouldn't trust reloading (for personal defense) with a moonclip. I bent one at the range. Use a speedloader or strip. But for the initial carry loading, I trust my single, well-maintained moon clip. The remaining clips are for the range and should be considered disposable. They are wickedly fun at the range. I am not particularly thrilled with moonclip loading/unloading tools (loading is ok, but removing the brass puts stress on the moonclip), but there is one by BMT Equipped that I have considered purchasing.

I absolutely love my LCR. Every now and then though, I get a casing (usually 357) that puts up a bit of a fight when it's time to eject. The moon clip conversion would help with this. When this has happened at the range with my Rhino, the moon clip ejects the sticky brass cleanly, although you will feel the increased resistance due to the sticky brass.

Admittedly, the cost of the conversion & clips is a bit pricey. But then again, the whole reason behind using an LCR as a carry weapon is its inherent reliability. A single, loaded moonclip increases the overall reliability (consistent extraction). Reloading with another moonclip would reduce reliability. BTW, 5-Star Firearms makes a fantastic speedloader for the LCR. Mine has been 100% reliable.

I would recommend the conversion if you intend to keep the LCR loaded with 357 personal defense rounds. Heavy 158 grainers hurt like hell, but some of the lighter PD rounds are tolerable. If you are going to carry 38 or 38+P, sticky brass is less of a problem.

I should also add that every extraction problem I have had has been with target rounds, not PD rounds. I have tried Speer & Hornady PD rounds, and have found them both to be perfectly reliable (with and without moonclips). For me, it's all about reliability. That's why I chose a revolver in the first place. I want 5 well-placed rounds instead of 20 "spray & pray" rounds.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Boge said:
I would never recommend moon clips for CCW as they are fragile and bend easily. For games, yes. CCW, never. Get a good speedloader or speed strips instead. :wink:

Never, ever, use speed strips/quick strips.

The "thumb" part of the strip will break off first day of use, guaranteed. After a few weeks of carrying, the strip itself will break into several pieces.

I have had this happen with new speed strips as well as quick strips. It happens every time. And I tried carrying the darn things in a Simply Rugged pouch made for them.

I may be the only person on the planet who has this problem as I have never read of anyone else with this issue. Still I would recommend carry single rounds in a pouch or a speed loader over strips.

YMMV

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've been using speed strips for years and have never encountered the problem of them breaking up on me.

I have two 9mm SP101s. I love using moonclips at the range because I have enough to load up 150 rounds and it makes for extremely quick reloads and your spent casings stay together and you don't have to fumble around with them.

I don't really carry either of those SP101s because IMO they are getting to be too valuable to be carried. So I bought another SP101 to carry in place of the 9mm's. 9mm for range practice. 38SPL for carry.

But back to moon clips. They are a hassle for CC. I tried a few various methods to carry them and the worst manner was when I tried to use an old prescription bottle that I could put 3 fully loaded 9mm moon clips in. It was very heavy in my pocket let alone the rattle sound it would make in my pocket. Nope, those aren't tic tacs and you can't have any!

eveled

Hawkeye
I had the same quandry with a S&W 627. Most 627s are cut for moon clips, I have the model that is not. I went with the 5star speed loaders, they are awesome.

From what I have read moon clips work a lot better on rimless cartridges, not as well on rimmed cartridges.

As far as a self defense reload, I went with a second j frame.

I also have never had an issue with the speed strips breaking. Ed

Bob R

Single-Sixer
An old post, but I will revisit it.

Well I ended up selling the LCR357, and bought a new S&W 442 Pro Moon Clip. This 442 Pro came pre cut for moon clips.

As for carrying the moon clips for reloads. California Competition Works makes a 5 shot J Frame spring steel belt carrier that works great. I have a pair of them. Much better than pocket carrying the clips.

I have discovered a few other things in the last couple years. If you want to jacket pocket carry reloads for the 5 shot you do have a GREAT Speed Loader available. The Jet Loader comes in a 5 shot J Frame size. The lowest cost source I have found for Jet Loaders is Power Custom.

The Moon Clip J Frame size Snub can benifit from moon clips in a couple ways, as was said above. Advantage One is positive ejection of all 5 rounds in a cluster. The 2" snubs all have short ejector strokes, so the emptys do not clear the chambers completely by ejector stroke. The best method of ejection is muzzle vertical and briskly smack the ejector rod. All rounds, and debris clear the chambers and you are ready to reload. If you do not do this right you can end up with a case under the ejector star. This is a very bad jam to clear in a hi stress situation. If you mess up on ejection with the moon clips you can grab the cluster and get it clear of the cylinder. No way for a round to get under the star.

Now Number Two is a fast reload. The key to this is the belt carrier. The moon clip ammunition package is oriented with the bullets down every time you grab a cluster on the belt. Pluck them out of the spring steel Shoot A Moon Carrier, and simply drop them in the chambers. Simple as that.
If you are going to pocket carry your reloads, use a speed loader, or speed strips.

I am happy with the Moon Clip J Frame.

Bob

ICORE MO2908

Joe S.

Hunter
I don't have much input nut have question. If you loose load rounds in a revolver cut just big enough for moon clip to drop in will you get case bulge with hot loads?

I have a smith 625 and like moon clips good enough. Unless I forget the clips and tools at home on range day. :)

And as far as speed strips, I can say I have only had one break down from use and it was 2 or 3 years old when one piece broke off. Otherwise I love carrying them.