Lite wt, 6 shot, carry revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maxpress

Buckeye
EarlFH":6vuegek4 said:
WAYNO":6vuegek4 said:
EarlFH":6vuegek4 said:
Are you sure that the Charter Undercover is a 6 shot? I have a Charter Pug, 44 Special, and it's a 5 shot. I like the Charter Arms guns. They have a reputation of shooting loose, but I haven't had that problem, and a friend of mine has one of the original, first generation 44 Pugs, and hasn't had any problems with it.

EarlFH

I'm glad nobody ever told me that Charter's are expected to shoot loose. I've been around, and owned, many of them, and they have all been very dandy little revolvers. I've never shot one loose. Sounds an awful lot like the Ruger-bashers.

btw...

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... cover.html

WAYNO.

Thanks for the info. There's a dealer close to me. I'll have to check it out.

I know what you mean, about the bashers. There was a guy on here awhile back. Said one shot loose in less than 300 rounds.

EarlFH

i have seen dud revolvers from about every companie that make them. and if you choose to concetrate on that then you would never buy a revolver. i know guys that somehow have messed up a glock :roll: and have sworn them off. but i know alot more guys that have glocks that burn 500rnds a month. some of them 10yrs or older. thats 60,000 rnds without a hitch.
rossi, taurus, ruger, smith and charter would not be the big names they are if they turned out over 5% crap.
if ya get a dud just send it back. ussually a good dealer will trade it out for you in the store and take care of it. ask before buying.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I always thought I woulf like a .44 Bulldog. Any of you fellows who own one, can you tells us about the recoil?

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Big Bubba":3l1otlx8 said:
I always thought I woulf like a .44 Bulldog. Any of you fellows who own one, can you tells us about the recoil?

It has a pretty stout recoil. Even with cowboy loads. With the 210 grain hollowpoints, from Winchester, it's even worse, but not intolerable. I wouldn't want to go out, and shoot a box of them through it. I'm sure it would be very comforting, if you had to use it.

EarlFH

tek4260

Buckeye
A friend of mine had an older Charter Bulldog and it wouldn't make it thru a cylinder without binding up from the bullets pulling. This was with factory ammo though. If you want the 5 shot 44, I would go with the Rossi. More of a copy of a Smith than anything else, plus it had good adjustable sights. My choice is the one I let slip by. Alpha Precision Speed Six 44 Special for $500. Didn't know what I was holding, but it sure was nice......

By the way, the best Taurus is still junk.... just saying.......

I have a brand new 4" 5 shot 44 Mag Tracker, just waiting to be traded away. I just couldn't resist for less than $250..... Something about a 44 in a gun the size of a K frame Smith that is nice, or would be if it weren't a Taurus

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
bronco45":3njj4314 said:
Colt Cobra, Agent and DS or Detective Spl are all D frames. 6 shot 38 Spls. Most with 2" bbls, some 3" but very rare and a high premium for them.

My DS weighs 23 ozs. The Cobra I used to own weighed 18ozs. They use HKS speedloaders and are limited in their use of +P ammo.

They carry like a dream in a pocket when equipped with Badger Boot Grips.

They are hard to find but 450-600 dollars for an asking price. The 400 buck asking price on frequently carried shot little guns. 600 price tag on LNIB guns,

Smith and Wesson also made a K frame lightweight called a Model 12, they are sometimes found 3-4oo range, usually.

Carried and used mine for years for Back UP.

Good luck.
+1 on all that. Great post.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
TRanger":1q04706t said:
Find yourself a Colt Cobra or Agent. The Colt D-frames are the best .38 snubs ever offered.
+1. Too bad they're no longer being made.

maxpress

Buckeye
with winchester silver tips the bulldog is stouter than an sp101 with 158gr .38 but not as stout as .357 158s.
the noise is alot more plesant than a .357.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Snake45":32jnn10w said:
TRanger":32jnn10w said:
Find yourself a Colt Cobra or Agent. The Colt D-frames are the best .38 snubs ever offered.
+1. Too bad they're no longer being made.

Rumor has it Colt may soon re-enter the DA revolver market. Sure hope they do.

Thel

Blackhawk
Having shot both agree with Maxpress on recoil. But then I have shot 200 .357's through my SP in an afternoon. Heard the rumor about the Colt re-entering the revolver market. If they do it will probably be a new design with MIM parts and little hand fitting.