Looking To Upgrade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I've got one of the Kahr Arms/Auto Ordinance 1911's in "US Military" form. Had it for about ten years and it shoots pretty good for what it is and hasn't caused me any issues. I do like it. However I've got some extra dollars to throw into "something". I'm thinking of upgrading to a new full size 1911 pistol. I can muster up around 8-9 hundred, but I'm a bit confused by the sheer volume of 1911's in that price range. I'm not looking for anything super special but would like the best bang for my buck. While I know this is a Ruger forum and Ruger makes what appears to be a pretty good 1911, could you folks point me in the right direction regarding what makes and models are the best in my price range? I'm looking for all steel (blued is preferred) and wood. And yes I know the SR1911 is one of them. lol Thanks.

The Preacher

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
For an "inexpensive" one I like the Desert Eagle 1911G.

DO take care and only buy one that you can go "hands on" with before
you pay for it. Most of them are good, some are excellent, and every
once in a while they have a marginal one.

I got one of the high end excellent ones (by accident) and have been
more than happy with it. I take every new to me 1911 and do a detail
strip, clean, lubricate with Slipstream, and do a bunch of dry firing.

When my SIL came by and I showed it to him, his response was
HOLY (delete your favorite expletive) THAT IS NICE! I told him what
I paid and he sat there with his jaw hanging open.

Warning Warning Warning . . . . Many find the billboard on the side
to be offensive! Since that has nothing to do with how it shoots,
I don't care. 8)

:D Many others available, but this one is well worth a look-see. :D

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Research+DE1911G+1911+G+Model+8+1+45ACP+5.05

Terry T

Buckeye
I believe all Ruger 1911s are stainless. Some have a dark coating over the stainless. The Light Weight alloy frames are dark. The LW models have a titanium insert in the feed ramp, a significant improvement in my mind.
I've had good luck with mine. I think they are excellent value for the price - comparable to those costing more.

http://ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

"Street price" is more like 75 - 80% of suggested retail.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+1911

Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey Preacher...I understand how confusing looking at different offerings of the same basic gun can be. That said though, when ya get down to it, there really aint much difference in any of them relative to the "bells & whistles" that they add on...so t'were it me, I'd confine my search to brands that are known for having good/no-nonsense customer service.

Other than that, I'm afraid that I aint much help.

DGW

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your thoughts folks. To be honest with you, now I'm sort of zeroing in on a Colt Series 70 Government. Again, thanks.

Preacher

Mike J

Hunter
The Preacher said:
Thanks for your thoughts folks. To be honest with you, now I'm sort of zeroing in on a Colt Series 70 Government. Again, thanks.

Preacher

I was thinking Colt should be in your price range though to be honest I don't have any experience with them.

MarkInTexas

Bearcat
I have owned a blue Colt Series 70 GM for 30+ years and have no complaints at all. I have fired 1911's from Ruger, Remington, RIA/Armscor, Springfield, S&W, Kimber and a couple of others...most in 45ACP and a 9mm or two.
When Kimber first hit the market, they were the best bang for the buck. They are still very nice guns but their prices are a little steep for me.
The Remingtons, Springfields and Smiths were OK and had decent triggers.
The RIA/Armscor was well built although had a rough trigger and the finish was not as nice as the others. All were in the same ballpark for accuracy when shooting ball and lead SWC.
I recently bought a Ruger Commander in 45, mainly because I had never owned a Commander-size pistol. The price was right and fit/finish is great. Weather has sucked around here on the weekends, but so far accuracy seems to have good potential.

dakota1911

Buckeye
In the $700 range you can find Ruger, SA, Colt, and others. Find a well stocked gun store and look at a few. Down here Ruger and SA are usually the 1911s that gun stores will have sales on when you can get them for less than normal.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
I have a 1911 for you thats a bit different. Ruger can't make every single item we want and this company has been around for a long time. I read various articles about the company and what they made and make.
REV will have a fit as its a1911 but not exactly a 1911 as he thinks.
I saw it fire AWSOME. When I fire my carry,a SP 101, .357 mag 3"with a FEDERAL 357 mag a band of fire is in front of the barrel
you could almost walk on it, looks awesome. This 1911,a COONAN, ugly grips, side by side it looks almost same as 1911.45
a bit larger because its a .357 magnum. The cartridge is the same as we use in a revolver only this is a 1911, can get ammo any where
ballistically its awesome. Its not exactly a carry gun but compared to a Colt Delta E, its almost the same size except the price $1400

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I love Ruger guns, but for a 1911, I would recommend looking at the Springfield Range Officer. It's in your price range and has a match grade barrel, adjustable sights, a decent trigger out of the box, and very tight machining. I just picked one up. It came with a really nice case which included a holster, a mag holder, and two mags. They have a promotional deal that lets you get 4 mags plus a holster and mag holder by mail. Don't know if they will send an additional holster and mag holder.

It's not one of the $2K+ custom jobs, but it is a lot of gun for the money. I got lucky and picked it up on a stock reduction sale at my LGS for $650. I was going to wait until my taxes were done and I was sure I wasn't going to have to cough up extra $ for Uncle Sam, but at that price I threw my debit card on the counter before someone else got the last one. Turns out I'm getting a refund, so I won on both counts.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
The Preacher said:
I've got one of the Kahr Arms/Auto Ordinance 1911's in "US Military" form. Had it for about ten years and it shoots pretty good for what it is and hasn't caused me any issues. I do like it. However I've got some extra dollars to throw into "something". I'm thinking of upgrading to a new full size 1911 pistol. I can muster up around 8-9 hundred, but I'm a bit confused by the sheer volume of 1911's in that price range. I'm not looking for anything super special but would like the best bang for my buck. While I know this is a Ruger forum and Ruger makes what appears to be a pretty good 1911, could you folks point me in the right direction regarding what makes and models are the best in my price range? I'm looking for all steel (blued is preferred) and wood. And yes I know the SR1911 is one of them. lol Thanks.

The Preacher

Preacher,
You might want to look at the RIA .22TCM/9MM in Hi-cap. I have one, and use the 9MM
conversion for carry and the .22tcm conversion for fun. Capacity is 17 +1.
The support at RIA is excellent, and I had to send my TCM in for repairs, I got a new one
within a month. The people there will answer an email within a day.
Here is the information on it.
Blackie

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/tcm-rock-standard-fs-hc-combo-22tcm-9mm/

revhigh

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
I love Ruger guns, but for a 1911, I would recommend looking at the Springfield Range Officer. It's in your price range and has a match grade barrel, adjustable sights, a decent trigger out of the box, and very tight machining. I just picked one up. It came with a really nice case which included a holster, a mag holder, and two mags. They have a promotional deal that lets you get 4 mags plus a holster and mag holder by mail. Don't know if they will send an additional holster and mag holder.

Exactly ... I've been professing the RO's excellence for about 5 years now. There is nothing else that compares at it's price point ... and $650 is a damned good price point. I think they'll most likely be found between $700 and 750.

Glad to see others have discovered it.

REV

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Yeah, local store had them for $860 regular price. Clovispup and I were at the range and I saw a flyer on the wall advertising them for $650. I sent Clovispup on in the range and went and asked if that was new, or the used one I had looked at. He said new. I tossed my CWP card and debit card on the counter.

I picked up a box of factory ammo and met CP on the range with the new weapon before she made it through the ammo I had loaded up for her.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Well...this is what I ended up with. Colt 1911 Series 70 SS Government. Really pleased with the fit and finish. Haven't shot it yet but it looks well put together.

The Preacher

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I'm more than pleased. Took it out for a shake-down cruise and she's spot on with 230 gr. FMJ and my handload with a 230 gr. LRN. Plain Jane 1911 series 70 Government...nothing like it! 8)

The Preacher

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nice ! Colt has always finished their stainless guns perfectly. Looks just like my Gold Cup.

Nice clean looking 1911.

REV