Looks like I'll slim down

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I cook a big meal on the weekend break it down into single portions and freeze them. After a few weeks I have an assortment of meals to choose from.

Chili, soups, corned beef and cabbage etc

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Healthy Choice Steamers are good and only cost $2.50 each. I stock up the chest freezer with these. They come in a lot of varieties and can be ready to eat in under 5 minutes. They are heart-healthy too. I lost 25 lbs in the last few months by only eating half of these during each meal and putting the other half in the fridge for later meals. I snack on Golden Delicious apples cut up and with some peanut butter spread on each slice. The peanut butter is full of protein and the apples are good for you. I'll eat a lettuce salad with vinegar and olive oil on it. I'll chop up veggies to add to the salad. Carrots, Celery, Radishes, Tomatoes, and cucumbers. Add some croutons and then top off with a salad dressing like Russian dressing. Watch what you eat and you can lose weight even without exercising.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
CoyoteHunter_ said:
Healthy Choice Steamers are good and only cost $2.50 each.
I'll have to look into those. :D

The prices around here are a tad higher, but still within reason.
Thanks!

P.S. to that:
Amazon has them at three to five times the cost of Target, Walmart, or two
other grocery chains around here. :roll:

I like the Stouffers frozen lasagna, baked chicken, meatloaf, etc. but I recently started looking at the labels on frozen meals and various canned soups. Seems like many of them have 20-35% of your recommended daily sodium amount. And lots are "2 servings" so if you eat the whole package (or can of soup) you're getting double what the amount listed is, which is a lot.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
arfmel said:
I like the Stouffers frozen lasagna, baked chicken, meatloaf, etc. but I recently
started looking at the labels on frozen meals and various canned soups.
That's a really good idea on any of this type of meal.

The Healthy Choice Steamers (at least the five I looked at) run in the two hundred
to three hundred cal. range with less than 25% of your daily salt allowance. :D

Now to get to the store and grab a few to try. 8)

eveled

Hawkeye
RSIno1 said:
arfmel said:
Rabbit is supposed to be be good eating. ;)
Friends of my parents had 8 kids. Money was always short and they raised rabbits for meat. The kids always liked when their parents had company over because the menu switched to hamburger (burgers in the summer, meatloaf in the winter) and hot dogs.

I was friends with 3 brothers when I was a teenager. When the father would answer the door he'd yell "Better put more water in the soup Ma!"

I ate there more often than at my house for a couple years.

My mom was one of 9 kids. A very poor family. My mom would tell of how poor they were. My dad would say he was so poor he ate at their house!

eveled

Hawkeye
eveled said:
RSIno1 said:
arfmel said:
Rabbit is supposed to be be good eating. ;)
Friends of my parents had 8 kids. Money was always short and they raised rabbits for meat. The kids always liked when their parents had company over because the menu switched to hamburger (burgers in the summer, meatloaf in the winter) and hot dogs.

Thanks you brought back 2 old memories.

I was friends with 3 brothers when I was a teenager. When the father would answer the door he'd yell "Better put more water in the soup Ma!"

I ate there more often than at my house for a couple years.

My mom was one of 9 kids. A very poor family. My mom would tell of how poor they were. My dad would say he was so poor he ate at their house!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
CoyoteHunter_ said:
Healthy Choice Steamers are good and only cost $2.50 each.
THANK YOU CoyoteHunter!!

Finally got my posterior in gear and got an assortment (four, today, because of
the other customers :roll: , I'll get more in a day or two).
Opinion:
- 20-30% more expensive than the previous ones (YAWN), still under $3.
- follow instructions and it comes out great! (less than 5 minutes)
(I try to follow instructions the first time, and adjust IF necessary, later)
- Flavor:
- - - Eight to TEN times better than the other brands I've tried
- Negatives:
- - - The lima beans were slightly undercooked (yawn)
- - - I would like about 25-30% more for a meal (I'll bet I get used to the size,
and I can always add some carrots or celery, if needed).

Summary:
~ I agree that these are a viable choice for something quick, very easy, a L O N G
way away from salty (out of the four I got ALL are below 30% of daily sodium).
~ The one you choose will determine the total calories you take in (they vary from
190 to 300, per meal.
~ They are way above average in taste! 8)

Update:
~ While several of these are quite good, I ran across one today that is a bit less.
I'll just bet it is individual taste that says what is good or not as much. :shock:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
6/10 Update:
Just made another run for more (this is about the forth) and they just seem to keep
coming up with "new" flavors. A really good assortment and the majority are well
worth purchasing.

As of this morning, I'm down by more than one inch, at the middle. I've found more
than one that I do not like, but, to their credit, those are in the minority.

I REALLY like being able to decide it's time for something to eat, and sit down to
in in just over five minutes! Hot, tasty, good aroma.

NOT-so-good update:
Decided to try the Lean Cuisine in two different flavors. IMO, don't bother.
They have a chicken burrito with "mexican style" rice. The rice and sauce is ok, but
the burrito was without taste and the burro wrapper was tougher than old leather.
The other one was spaghetti and meat balls. - - - The meat balls had NO flavor
and the pasta was WAY over cooked.
~~~ Not to self: Forget Lean Cuisine.

:wink:

Acorn

Buckeye
When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic I started buying "Smart Ones" meals. A local grocery chain at times runs them on sale at 6/$10. I like the turkey and stuffing. Their turkey and garlic mashed potatoes was really good at first but they must have changed something because now it's not the same. I never checked the sodium in them though, I looked for the lower carb count. At $1.67 a meal they were good. I'd stock up and keep them in my freezer at work for lunch.

Acorn

Buckeye
When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic I started buying "Smart Ones" meals. A local grocery chain at times runs them on sale at 6/$10. I like the turkey and stuffing. Their turkey and garlic mashed potatoes was really good at first but they must have changed something because now it's not the same. They have a variety of meals available, meatloaf, chicken & pasta etc. I never checked the sodium in them though, I looked for the lower carb count. At $1.67 a meal they were good. I'd stock up and keep them in my freezer at work for lunch.

One problem with rabbit. Turns out rabbit meat is so lean that if a person ate it exclusively they could develop something called "fat-hunger" also known as "rabbit starvation".

eveled

Hawkeye
Sodium makes me crazy.

Somethings like V8 seem like a great idea. A full serving of vegetables easy to consume great. Seems like it would be appropriate to have v8 at every meal and even for a snack. Problem is you'd get about 100 times you recommended sodium for the day.

Salt is a condiment on practically every table in the world. We can add our own if we want it, but we can't take it out.

I recognize it is a preservative, but you don't need to preserve a frozen meal. Now that I think of it, salt melts ice.

Great thread guys thanks for the healthy ideas.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Just read an article on the WORST fast food items. It turns out Wendy's has
managed to out-distance the golden arches for the worst breakfast items.
https://www.eatthis.com/news-wendys-worst-breakfast-order/

What blows me away is the total calory count AND total SALT amount.
It is the "Breakfast Baconator Combo", with a total calory count of 1,380 calories.
Of which 730 are in the Breakfast Baconator alone. The sandwich has 50 grams of
fat and 1,750 milligrams of sodium. Then add in the "seasoned potatoes"
with 46 grams of carbohydrates, 14 grams of fat, and 900 milligrams of sodium.
Recommended max salt per day is 2300mg. The Baconator&potatoes is 2,650
and that is for ONE meal. :shock: . :shock: . :shock:

In case you can't tell, I have been watching the TV ad's on Wendy's version of the
Sausage Mc. with egg, and was thinking of trying two of them. - - - NOT no mo.
They are 50% higher in calories and way above the salt content of McD's.

And all of this because I wanted to know when Wendy';s opened for breakfast. :roll:
Good thing I looked. :wink:

:D

P.S. While I'm still only one belt notch tighter,
it's getting a LOT easier to find my belt buckle.

I'll grant there might be exceptions to this but other than... some..... salads,
there is no "healthy" food at fast food style restaurants.
While some choices are better than others they're still
pretty poor.
Dave

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Found another one in foods I like and have been eating for years. Hormel
Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash. Full can (the way I used to eat it) is 380
calories. Divide that in half, add ONE egg and you get the taste you like,
something that feels to the tummy, like you actually ate something, but stays
below the 300 cal per meal (270, with a large egg).

Interesting. 8)

P.S. 475 mg salt for the half can. I also add Garlic Powder, rather than
Garlic Salt.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Dave P. said:
there is no "healthy" food at fast food style restaurants.
Please tell me where in:
"Just read an article on the WORST fast food items. It turns out Wendy's has
managed to out-distance the golden arches for the worst breakfast items."
doest it say ANYTHING about healthy? :roll: