M77-Adding a front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I have a Ruger M77 Compact and I would like to add a front sight. This rifle has no sights. It is just scope ready.

I have a New England Custom rear aperture sight that uses the scope mount slot. I have used this sight on another M77 with adjustable sights to see how it works and I like it as a backup sight for a scoped rifle. I have used it with some success on my Ruger 77 International when my older scope cracked and fogged up during a deer hunt.

How tough is it to add a front sight? I would like a banded sight, but the Compact has a pretty small diameter tapered barrel and I don't know if that makes a difference or if it would even look good.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Meeteetse,

NECG makes banded barrel sights.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

The only thing I can comment on is make positive sure you find a gunsmith who can put sights on straight WITHOUT relying on his 'jig'.
I have a Marlin MR-7 that came without sights and I had them installed. I bought the sights from Marlin and took it to a gunsmith and when I got the rifle back the sights were tilting to the right.
He admitted the sights were crooked but wouldn't do anything about it. He was a jerk about it and will never see another dime of my business.
I had to take it to a second smith who got the sights closer by reindexing the barrel a bit. But although straight enough to use they still are not properly indexed.

So just make sure who ever does the installation allows you to see the sights in position BEFORE they are permanently attached. Put the rear sight on, hold the rifle out at arms length, use the entire rifle as a gauge. And ask if they use a jig and if so do not let them depend on it. To many variables.

Yeah, I'm a bit sour about this. So much so I will never purchase a rifle without barrel sights.

Joe

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Joe, Sorry you had a bad experience with that gunsmith. That happens. It's "NOT" the jig's fault, it's the operators! I have had a Forster sight jig for 35 years with absolutely no customer problems! It's a great tool and like anything else, if you don't know how to use it, things are likely to go "south" in a hurry! I would suspect that gunsmith would be out of business before too long if he operates like this with "all" his work!...............Dick :wink:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Putting a sight on a barrel is a job for a gunsmith, in my opinion. Sight installation with a Ruger sight is not hard, but it requires precision. It needs to be on the top of the barrel, verticle and the proper distance from the muzzle. It also needs to be the correct height. You would be wise to spend the extra few dollars to have the gunsmith do a bit of measuring and order the sight for you, so it is the right height. With Ruger sights, it's the front sight insert that raises and lowers the height. It can be very frustrating to have everything together and find that you have all the adjustment out of things and still need eight more inches at fifty yards. Yes, I've done that. I didn't say I follow my own advice. :D
Of course if you decide to put one on yourself, just measure your barrel and watch ebay and classifieds, or call Numrich and give it a go. The Ruger front sight just needs the band reamed a bit to give a snug fit at both ends, and the set screw hole drilled. Not hard, but if the sight is a bit far back or forward, it looks bad; if it's a bit crooked, it just isn't right, but it's your gun, it would just personalize it.
Bfly

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Ruger and NECG has banded front sights. The NECG Masterpiece comes in many band diameter sizes, whereas the Ruger is rifle type specific, such as 1a, 1s, 1h etc. NECG sells a lot of different height front sight inserts. You might do a little reading on the iron sight charts(Brownells etc) about how to choose iron sight heights, a dial calipher is a nice tool to have.

If you barrel is a lightweight, then the 1a type might be a possibility to consider. On a factory Ruger, the Ruger oem sight might be more fitting, but those cosmetics are up to the user.

In either case, the front banded sight comes to you straight bored, the band's interior is straight bored, to include the bottom surface of the ramp. Your rifle barrel has a taper to it, so in order for the sight's band to fit nicely fore/aft, it needs to be fitted to said specific barrel. Some use a boring technique, but I have used the NECG suggested methods with good success. The NECG suggested method can be done without a lathe, but the boring probably is better executed via the lathe. In both methods, some cosmetic polishing after fitting is required. One might note that the Ruger comes a bit rougher than the NECG in initial finish; but is about half the price.

In order to get sights "straight up" the operator has to determine how to go about that. Some use a jig and surfaces on the barreled action, some use a homebrew holding affair on a big mill. Some can get by with a drill press, but that really takes some patience and expertise. A nice precision level could be in that mix.

In fitting the banded ramped front sight to the tapered barrel; one has to worry not only about the tapered diameter of the band itself, but also the inclined plane of the ramp itself. The final proof is a banded front sight that appears seamless with the barrel proper.

Both the Ruger and the NECG come with a screw that hits the barrel surface. This really is not for holding the banded sight on, but rather for positioning to some degree. Once the sight is fitted to the barrel, both band and ramp, the real tense work begins to get the sight "straight up".
As mentioned some use a mill or jig. Some can get buy with a temporary affixment to the barrel via a mild adhesive. You eye is a pretty good indicator, but when your eye and the instruments tell you the same story, tis a good time to think about permanency. Once the sight is pleasing, some use a soft silver solder like Brownell's 44 or some will use a Loctite retainer, such as 620. The retainer certainly is a lot easier to cleanup, and has right good strength.

The temporarily mounting of the sight to the barrel gives you a second chance if need be without marring things up. Make sure it is an adhesive that will release with just a little heat during initial trials. Choose an adhesive for the initial setup that will allow some tapping of the sight to final position. The 620 takes a lot of heat to remove, so 620 is not the adhesive to use for the temporary set up. The 620 is not a instaneous lockup, but after a few minutes she is there.

Not a overly big deal to do, but one does have to keep things on your mind or the ramp/sight can be ruined or lets say; saved for a larger barrel. Keep in mind that the front band can only be stretched so far before it will workharden and crack, so pick the intial buy wisely.

Roof

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Thanks for the information, especially roofinspector. It would seem that I have some additional work to do to determine the sight I want and find a quality gunsmith to install it. I appreciate the time and information.