Mark I, II, III & IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I already had these, I - III:

2DuWEpql.jpg

But a really good price at a gun show yesterday finally tempted me to add this 75th Anniversary IV:

L9sH4ldl.jpg

Some day I'll add an A-54 frame T-678.

Last edited:
I suppose I'd buy a series IV at the right price but I really don't see the need for the features the IV provides.
I'm perfectly satisfied with a 22/45 series 2 with a 'custom stippled' grip from the previous owner's pooch(makes for a better grip with wet, muddy gloves :whistle:).

My very first handgun was a Mark I ( BTW- Didn't they just call the first a "Marksman" when it came out? Can't remember.) I loved the feel, loved the accuracy. Unfortunately I found it to be the worst jammer I have ever owned. I ended up selling it back to the dealer at a loss ( I did use it for awhile). At the time I blamed the gun, but it was long ago, and looking back it may well have been the ammo of the time....?

Daryl Licht

Bearcat
My very first handgun was a Mark I ( BTW- Didn't they just call the first a "Marksman" when it came out? Can't remember.) I loved the feel, loved the accuracy. Unfortunately I found it to be the worst jammer I have ever owned. I ended up selling it back to the dealer at a loss ( I did use it for awhile). At the time I blamed the gun, but it was long ago, and looking back it may well have been the ammo of the time....?
My recollection isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be, but I do seem to remember that the original pistol was called Standard that came in 4 3/4" or 6" barrel length. The Mark 1 was an adjustable sighted target version with a 6" barrel.

Brules

Single-Sixer
I don't recall them ever being called "Marksman". Maybe "Standard".

I suppose I'd buy a series IV at the right price but I really don't see the need for the features the IV provides.
I'm perfectly satisfied with a 22/45 series 2 with a 'custom stippled' grip from the previous owner's pooch(makes for a better grip with wet, muddy gloves :whistle:).
I guess that's why Ruger makes different stuff because people like different stuff. The "right price" is part of the reason I bought it.

Last edited:
My recollection isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be, but I do seem to remember that the original pistol was called Standard that came in 4 3/4" or 6" barrel length. The Mark 1 was an adjustable sighted target version with a 6" barrel.
The Mark I was either a T-514 (5 1/4" tapered target barrel), T-512 (5 1/2" target bull barrel) or a T-678 (6 7/8" tapered target barrel). Ruger did not make a Mark I with a 6" barrel.