Mini 14: Upgrade It or Sell Off and Buy New

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I have an early version of the min 14 (181 series) changes out wood stock for hogue over molded due to cracked wood. Can hit clay's at 60 yards with consistent 70% accuracy with iron sights,

JBP

Single-Sixer
I always wanted a Mini-14 in .222 but those are ridiculously priced and wasn't interested in any other caliber. My granddaughter is considering joining the Marines next year when she graduates HS. I figured I get her used to some long range shooting with .556 so I picked up a NIB Mini-14 on GB for $900 which wasn't much more than used ones were going for. Now I know some will say that I should also have gotten her used to an AR platform but since I'll be the one that will be shooting it the most I will admit to being prejudiced against ARs that goes back to my time in Nam up in I Corps '66-'67 when the M16s were 1st being issued. I was Army but interfaced every day with Marlnes who were always trying to buy or trade for my M14 especially since it was fitted with a selector switch for full auto.

cpaspr

Bearcat
Wasn't going to add to a necro-thread, but lumbering buffalo brought it back to life, so I'll add my two cents. I picked up a 183 series Mini-14 in 2010 Sold it five years later because I just HAD to have an AR-15! Once I had it, I tinkered with it, but no matter how much I tried, I just couldn't like it. The bolt close was unique, the safety was unique, charging it was unique. I sold it
in 2020. Early in 2021 my LGS got in a 584 series gun. I put a good scope on it, and it will shoot as good as the AR did, for me with my eyes. But I like the Mini design. I could never make myself like the AR design. And I really did try.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Rsgarding twist and bullet weight, I found these charts about a year ago.

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

My 5.56 rifles (Colt AR-15A4 and Aero Precision M4E1) both have a 1:7 twist and I shoot 62gr and up. That said, I've shot 55gr, which is not optimal, but still get excellent groups. With a scope, 1 MOA or less at 100 yards is not extraordinary at all.