Hunter
I'll let David provide his excellent commentary as always

Bradshaw1-1.jpg

Bradshaw2-1.jpg

Bradshaw3-1.jpg

Bradshaw4-1.jpg

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Contender... other than for that being a good billy goat, it became a job for the .44 because that was what I had on. Stopped by a friend's. She was fixing to slay a buck goat that had been an excellent server. But he was at the point of running hard on other goats. Winter coming on. Next stud must contribute fresh blood. My friend normally kills with a back-brain or earhole shot from a .25 ACP. She preferred not to do this one, so I slid a .44 behind the back of the skull through the top neck vertebra. She wanted the skull, which I boned.

My anemic little .44 round has a cast 240 SWC over 5.5/HP-38 in Federal .44 mag brass with FC 150 primer. Bullet deep seated to crimp above front band. This arrangement grinds bone as well as meat when it needs to, and is accurate in any revolver worth a ride on your hip.

The next photo down shows the S&W M29-2 4" posed on a rock. In background, a stainless steel cream separator can. A first shot hit rolled the can off the rock from 200 yards. It was about 16 degrees fahrenheit with bright sun. I held one-half of the red ramp over the rear sight and squeezed. The heavy gauge stainless pot blew off the rock, an instantaneous display of punch.

The third photo is of the toughest blade steel I have ever handled. A Jerry Busse BATTLE MISTRESS. This knife chops through whitetail femur bones when you swing it hard enough. When you don't swing hard, you need two strokes. After the fact, the blade is ready to keep cutting----no shiny flat spot on the edge. This Busse Battle Mistress stepped into butchering pigs, moose, and deer this season. i show this knife not as any sort of promotion, but as working proof of the finest blade steel I have ever put to work.

The bottom photo shows a plain old revolver that has made its bones. The empty shell casing is from the first round hit that rolled the cream pot at 200 yards. This Model 29-2 4" went under the hands of Al Plaas at Smith & Wesson decades ago. Which makes it a one million percent masterpiece.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
2 dogs.... the white stuff on the ground is Environment Powder, specially designed to soak up blood, or spread it around.
After avoiding responsibility most of this Christmas Day, I dusted some of that environmental powder off yonder field stones with the .357 Maximum.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
targetshootr.... bobbed the original beavertail hammer back in the early seventies. Narrowed and contoured trigger, removing all but a trace of serrations. Contoured grips to my hand. And, as stated elsewhere, Smith & Wesson's one and only Al Plaas performed the work you don't see, which included setting back the barrel to eliminate forcing cone erosion, renewing the forcing cone on his little machine, etc. (Don't get the idea this wheelgun has a magical three pound double action. This gun is mountain ready, street ready, hell or high water ready.) This is just an honest to goodness sixgun.
David Bradshaw

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
David, what is the purpose of deep seating the Keith slugs with your light load of 5.5 grs of HP-38? Quick identification of load, or to take up empty air space, or both? Either way, sounds like a fun load to plink with :) !

gunsbam69

Hunter
I just thought it was neat someone besides me thinks goats need a bullet :mrgreen: I like the revolver. If i had one, I'd plug a goat or two with mine also.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Thumbcocker.... Yes, 200 yard shot with M29-2 4" was made with cast 240 SWC, deep seated over 5.5/HP-38, Federal 150 primer, Federal .44 mag brass. COL=1.500" Guess velocity around 800 fps. Revolver ZERO 50 yards. For 200 yards, hold 1/2-red ramp above Millett plain black rear sight. Probably because the stainless steel can is so strong, bullet----even at that modest velocity----rolled can two feet off the rock, into the snow. Big holes are indicative of the hard, inelastic stainless sheet steel.

The same bullet deep seated over 10.6/HS-6; Fed 150; Fed brass; COL=1.500"; is good for 1000 to 1050 fps, depending on gun. A bit more punch, with modestly less accuracy, was still good enough for a first round hit from my Redhawk 5-1/2" at 200 yards.

Yes, I seat deep to utilize the magnum case, take up air space, reduce fouling, and to give up nothing in (perhaps gain) accuracy.

I do the same thing in .45 Colt: Deep seated cast 255 SWC; 6.7/HP-38 or Win 231 (HP-38 is 231); standard LP; prefer Federal brass but use other.

I flare the mouth only enough to seat bullet without shaving. I do not chamfer case mouth for jacketed bullets, but sometimes do for low velocity cast loads. Much prefer NO CHAMFER for jacketed and higher velocity loads.

Crimp minimal, no more than necessary to hold particular load.

When I was loading for handgun silhouette, I wanted stiff seating pressure for good grip of case on bearing surface ("wheelbase") of bullet. Rounds which seated too easily went to practice. Firm case grip on bullet helps ignition of slow ball powders. To rely on crimp for ignition opens extreme spread----and vertical dispersion at long range.
David Bradshaw

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
David, would love to see some hunting handgun trophies with any load data and bullet info you can remember. Any preference between cast or jacketed, for hunting?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Jeff Hoover.... I was heavy into handgun hunting before handgun silhouette came along. I carried daily, as did my shooting partner, the late Ed Verge. We slung in belts and holsters which I made for all day carry. Which belt meant a single strip of top grain cowhide 2-3/4" to 3" wide. Verge packed an S&W M-57 8-3/8" .41 mag. I packed an M-29 6-1/2" .44 mag. Verge came from a family of hard corps hunters, top marksmen. He pushed me hard and I pushed him hard. Together our skill advanced.

I am a meat hunter. Unless I want to eat it I have no inclination to kill it. There are exceptions of necessity. I love a trophy in the wild, but unexcited about collecting them. The hunt, and preparing the meat beautifully, are sacraments. I do not hunt to find out if I can shoot. Marksmanship is music. You have an instrument, play it.

Became disappointed early with the .44 hard cast 240 SWC for deer. On the contrary, I found a .44 245 grain wadcutter to punch very hard. I took many deer with the old swaged 240 SWC half-jacket, seated deep in .44 mag brass over 17/Hercules 2400. CCI 350 primer. Sounds anemic? At 1060 fps from the 6-1/2" M-29, the swaged bullet with pure lead core mashed a deer's chest like a left hook from Joe Frazier----POOF! As my favorite hunt is to track whitetails on snow----or, when a tracking snow is not available, to still hunt----the opportunity for a shot generally comes with quarry thoroughly aware of predator. (Hammer strap doesn't belong on a tracking holster.)

Later I worked with another 6-1/2" M-29 loaded with the old Hornady 240 JHP over 22/H110 or 296. A particular hunt illustrates the effectiveness of this bullet. I had set out long before daybreak, crossed an icy brook, listened to deer in a cedar bog; waited for the deer to start moving and enough light to see tracks. Picked up a good track, took it into hardwoods. Up, up, over a foothill, up the mountain. An adventure is too fine too long to roll out here... Seven hours later I jumped the buck, which bounded to my left. As my right hand reached for the revolver, left hand stripped the glove. My inner voice said "Take your time as fast as possible and lead... lead... lead... shoot between the trees."

A ring of hair puffed off the deer's chest. The deer ran as if carrying a safe on its back, sinking in twenty yards. I holstered, confident the deer was done. (This is not advice, as one should assume the animal is alive until it is proven dead and its eyes are open.) Dressed the deer; with rope and sapling stick, dragged it three miles back to the farm.

Didn't learn why the buck had dropped so fast until I got it skun and sawed through the spine to make chops. The Hornady 240 JHP passed 2-inches below the spine just in front of the last ribs. Despite passing under the spine, the impact had broken a vertebra diagonally in half. Doubt a cast bullet would have done that.

My late friend Verge took many deer with the Hornady .41 210 JHP over 296 and H110 with excellent performance.

Today, I count the Nosler JHP the heir of the Hornady. Much more so than the XTP, which seems much more variable against bone and meat.

Also have had excellent work from the Federal .44 240 JHP and the Sierra 240 JHC. The Federal looks just like the Sierra, but is made by Federal.

Cast wide flat point bullets occupy the unique position of combining heavy impact with super penetration, putting them well ahead of a SWC in the punch department. By the same token, a round nose flat point ("cowboy") is way down the scale as a hunting bullet----small game excepted----just above a round nose.

Southeastern basins and river bottoms, loaded with rip-you-to-pieces vine, represent areas where it is critical to drop a deer in its tracks, or damn close. For this the lung shot of the mountains is replaced by the shoulder shot----break 'em down NOW----as tracking may be impossible. This challenge calls for "reverse aim," where you aim through the animal at the off side shoulder, the shoulder you don't see, with a bullet like the wide flat point. As truly giant deer, moose and elk put a premium on penetration; that is, PENETRATION and WALLOP. While numerous bullets are appropriate for deer, as the prey grows in size, selection becomes critical.
David Bradshaw

Fowler

Single-Sixer
David

What load and gun would you choose for elk then if on a dedicated handgun hunt?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Fowler.... elk are big and bad. Bad as in a big TOUGH, incredible athlete. Think mountain whitetail 4X. Tracking is certainly possible, and is the most exquisite way to hunt, and puts you in near certainty that when you make contact the animal knows you're there. This adrenal factor elevates your imperative for precise shot placement and penetrating punch.

Dick Casull's .454 and John Linebaugh's cartridges offer a tremendous step-up in punch over the .44 magnum. This is where the .45 Colt upgrades power over the .44 mag. It is not on deer, where the .44 magnum is every bit the equal of a hopped up .45 Colt. Size favors survival in the North Country----large whitetails, large elk, large moose. Large bullets which stay together to penetrate while at the same time convecting PUNCH favor bringing that animal to bag.

It is very hard at revolver velocity to get around a heavy-for-caliber bullet with a wadcutter-like nose to exact the penetration a less than broadside shot requires. Bullets like the old Freedom Arms jacketed with hard alloy core and rather narrow meplat pack plenty penetration but little punch. Jacketed soft points may go to pieces on bone. A big lead bullet with wide flat nose reaches higher velocity for a given pressure than a similar weight jacketed. Cohesiveness and punch plus velocity-for-pressure favor lead.

To have or procure a larger than .44 revolver for elk starts you on a better footing. Selection becomes personal as it behooves the handgun hunter to think MARKSMANSHIP at all times, and to never believe power alibis a weak mind. All hunting should be about specifics; handgun hunting absolutely is about specifics. (Tracking is about specifics----maintaining balance, picking your steps, reading sign, scanning, stopping, moving, adjusting your speed, anticipating----an act of continual judgement.)

A neighbor----something of an animal himself----tracked a wounded moose this season in northeast forest, zero snow, occasional blood on brown and reddish brown leaves, for five hours. He broke off at sunset. Returned the next day, tracking another two hours until he completely lost sign. The "hunter" who shot the bull moose hit it with a .300 Winchester Magnum. I only talked with the tracker, whom didn't know the point of impact. Which tells me the so-called hunter didn't know either.

This brings up four points: 1) knowing when not to shoot liberates you to shoot, 2) call your shot every time you squeeze the trigger, 3) pack enough cartridge, and 4) the animal is not the target; a spot the size of your fist is the target.

I mention this because there are people think a moose is a big, stupid, goofy animal without the brains to get out of its own way. I've heard guys say, "Put me on a moose track and I'll have it down in 15 minutes." If you believe that, stay out of the woods. When you've hunted moose where Frenchmen and Indians hunt them, you will come to respect the moose's hearing as better than that of the whitetail and elk, and that its stealth can approach that of a bear. Do you really want to wound an animal like that, and gloat in a fantasy of running it to ground?

When you find yourself in the same place at the same time with a majestic elk, two things come together to close the deal: POWER & ACCURACY. Dignity of the animal behooves dignity in taking it. I would view John Linebaugh's cartridges as the hub of the wheel. Base selection not on cartridge, but on a revolver and grip you shoot well, chambering a cartridge with the forgiveness to do the job.
David Bradshaw

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Bill, I would choose a load that hopefully wouldn't go over the elk........... :roll: :shock: :lol: :p

David, thanks for such a detailed response! Really am enjoying all these posts !

Fowler

Single-Sixer
David,

I come from a heavy for caliber mind set, too many years of reading Ross Seyfried and Elmer Keith I guess. I dont run my guns as hard as they will go but I tend to shoot standard to heavy for caliber bullets most of the time. I live in Colorado and I have taken over 20 elk with rifles, my go to elk rifle is a 338 Winchester not unlike yours except blue or a 300 Win Mag again in a model 70. They just plain work.

Hoover is giving me grief as I have been on a quest for a few years now to kill an elk with a iron sighted handgun. We have had a few years of fickle weather and skattered elk that have made the hunts tough, that and having a young family that has crimped my available days afield. I honestly can say I have had one chance fo kill a legal elk in handgun range and I missed the bull high due to my overthinking with my 475 Linebaugh.

I still have a tag that runs through the end of this month for a cow so there is still some hope for this season yet. I just wondered what you favored as you seemed to indicate a favortism for jacked bullets on deer and seemed to think cast bullets were the answer.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Fowler.... you have gotten specific, so will I. Your choice of .338 Win Mag and numerous hunts tells me you have seen the lingo of that cannon in action.

Since you have a .475 Linebaugh you don't need to go shopping. If over-thinking caused you to shoot high on a big tall elk, you must have felt the beast to be at the limit of your handgun confidence. Take the gun out and shoot it on cardboard deer or elk stapled to plywood. Dry fire five shots before you fire once. See the front sight on the plane of the rear. Remember poor visibility temps you to hike up the front sight to better see it. This is true of open sights on rifles and handguns, subconsciously raising front sight just to see it.

Shoot from 20 yards to as far as you can group two shots on a cake plate. That will do for elk lungs and shoulders. Put no bullseye or colored aiming spot on the cardboard elk. Plain cardboard. Your mind names the spot to plant your sights.

To "over think" is to step out of the present. Marksmanship is a simple-minded activity; it just allows NO DISTRACTION. Distraction includes ego activity, celebrating a shot before you make it, or thinking you must satisfy someone else. To romance the future or to dream of the past is to step out of the present and miss. Make each shot the only one you have.

When there are fewer elk or deer, each animal covers for the sentries a herd would provide. An individual is extra keen. Add that you are well into the season and you are up against one sharp guerrilla. Compounds the challenge to get within handgun range.

Bring the rifle and the revolver. Think handgun every step of the way. Should you get a handgun opportunity take it. If you cannot close the distance to within your handgun ability, but have opportunity, use the rifle.

Or, just pack your .475 Linebaugh, chisel your sights and squeeze.
David Bradshaw

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
Great stuff. I went shooting today and realized the leftover 2"x4" strip of paper on the 50 yard board was easier to hit than the round circle in the middle of an 8x11 paper. Not sure why. Aim small, miss small, perhaps. I also noticed I shoot my 4" 29 as well as my 7 1/2" Blackhawk. Probably the different grip styles, different triggers and different hammer drop times. Also, it takes about the same amount of time per trip to feel confident in each shot which then lasts for maybe 30 minutes, then I may as well go home.

Latest posts