More David Bradshaw photos

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Absolutely end each session on a high note. If on your last cylinder full----against a challenging target----you make two fine shots, stop there. Save the remaining four. Don't shoot into fatigue. In alpine skiing many injuries occur on a skier's last run----"just one more run"----when fatigue has set in, reflexes are worn... Faceplant.

Marathon shooting sessions with earthquake guns beat on the nerves. Muscle loses resiliency. One day in 1981 or thereabouts, during work on the .357 Maximum, Bill Ruger, Jr., brought along a tang safety M77 in .458 Winchester----with two cases of Winchester ammunition. One case 500 grain FMJ, one case 510 grain soft points. He had leaded the stock and put in a third----forearm----recoil lug.

I shot the better part of a case that afternoon 500 and 510's, the majority of rounds offhand, including rapid fire, stroking the bolt from the shoulder. Ruger shot a bunch himself, which didn't seem to bother him at all. The only stoppage was me, when I said, "I need a drink."

When my eye spotted that rifle the next day pain bit my shoulder like dog fangs.

Another way to practice, if convenient: one shot at each distance. Boxer stance (Weaver stance), offhand pulls, gunhand pushes. Both hands equal pressure, as that is the way we are designed----"Flex-Reflex." Squeeze grip with SUSTAINABLE FIRMNESS. Not so tight as to introduce tremor.

This stance and grip and smooth trigger squeeze should be practiced in dry fire. If your gun is a Freedom Arms, use snap caps with strong springs or once-fired empties (one "shot" only).

To NOT shoot at a bullseye eliminates a graphic aiming point, which sucks focus from the front sight. Shooting at a blank cardboard elk or deer silhouette forces your mind to name the Point-of-Aim (POA) and allows your eye to chisel the sights. Mind on target. Eye, or eyes, on sights.

Aim with both eyes when you see the sights clearly this way. Aim with one eye when you see the sights clearly that way. If you are cross-lateral dominant aim with the stronger eye. Your anatomy and eyesight must be the arbiter of your stance, not me or anyone else.

Forget doubt. Think SIGHT PICTURE and SQUEEZE. And lead if the animal is moving.

When you take care of the sights----and squeeze the trigger----the bullet takes care of the target.
David Bradshaw

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I'm down to one eyeball so that's covered. Our canopy tends to rain condensation in the morning so we have to stand outside and shoot till it stops. Normally I shoot sitting with arms outstretched. Never have been able to shoot off bags. This is my new fun, a modified sbh. I likey.

http://i.imgur.com/P8T93.jpg

Latest posts