Need infomation on the value of a silver coin.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have a one ounce silver coin that is 0.999 pure silver I got years ago in Portland Oregon. I got it when I bought something from a retail store in Portland Oregon called Tom Petersons. Tom Peterson was a well know local celebrity in the area and a avid sportsman. The coin is a 25th Anniversary coin 1963 to 1988. It is a little tarnished from sitting in a drawer since 1988 when I got it. I am going to sell it, but have no idea of it's value. What is a ounce of silver worth nowadays ?

CHEVYINLINE6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer

Attachments

• tp1.jpg
    tp1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 109
  • tp2.jpg
    tp2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 107

hittman

Staff member
Lots of silver coins on eBay but I've discovered there must be hundreds upon hundreds of different 25th Anniv coins.

Good luck!

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Are you going to sell it here on the classifieds?
I think it will probably sell to someone in Portland as Tom was a well known and well liked man. I am listing it on Facebook Marketplace for $20.00. I just listed it. If it don't sell, it would make a nice ring.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Last edited:

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
That brings back memories. I lived in Portland before moving to Washington. Tom Peterson's TV commercials were on all the time.

I think his store was on the corner of SE Foster and 82nd. I'd pass by it on my way to Maury's Guns (now long gone).

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
That brings back memories. I lived in Portland before moving to Washington. Tom Peterson's TV commercials were on all the time.

I think his store was on the corner of SE Foster and 82nd. I'd pass by it on my way to Maury's Guns (now long gone).
I also remember Maury's gunshop. I use to go to a lot of gunshows at the National Guard building and at that big building by the river and the speedway. At the second I met gun writer Chuck Karwan and Harry Sanford the inventor of the 44 magnum Automag.

CHEVYINLINE6.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Ebay is your best bet. There is always somebody who might be interested in whatever your coin is commemorating. Coin shops are all different. One of my local coin shops offered me $10 above spot for a silver dollar (not rare or an error coin, as I checked) while another offered me $1 less than spot. Everybody is different. So if you live in a large city you might want to check different coin shops, if you can afford the gasoline it will take to drive around town...

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I am just gonna let it run it's course on Facebook Marketplace. If I get $20.00 or $25.00 for it ok. I don't want to tie up a lot of time and effort into it. I have had it sitting around since 1988.

CHEVYINLINE6.

I might as well chime in with a comment... people are right on the value. There are seemingly an infinite variation of silver rounds. If they are .9999 pure... as most are... they are basically generic. Unless you get lucky and find one that is somehow "important" to your potential buyer. The vast majority of the time, it just sells as silver, period. There is usually a slight premium for the Canadian Silver Maples, especially still sealed and shiny in their mint packaging. And there is a large premium for US Silver Eagles. No real good reason why... other than people feel more confident buying and holding them. The Chinese have actually made some beautiful Panda rounds and the Australian mint puts out nice ones as well. I have so many different silver rounds... plus a whole lot of vintage Morgan and Peace dollars. And "junk silver"... pre 64 US.

And then you get into one ounce gold bars and rounds and coins... but that's a different topic...

While spot is 24.41 today, what you will get for it will differ. If you bring it to your local jewelry "we by gold" store they will offer about 15-20% below spot, but can be haggled to around 10%. A pawn shop will pay closer to spot. HOWEVER, if you put it on e-bay people are paying 50-80% ABOVE spot for reasons unknown. In my opinion it's preppers looking for currency, but I am not certain. BTW- Just in case it's actually a collectible, DO NOT CLEAN IT. However, it's NOT a coin, it's a round. No different than a bar, so I don't think collectability will come in to play.

Last edited:
I agree with Joe. Silver sells as a round, a bar or a coin of currency. A silver coin, such as a silver eagle will sell at a higher price than a generic silver round. Most silver rounds are sold below spot price to a dealer and sold by the dealer at a percentage above spot. Currency as a silver dollar or Mexican Libertad will have a premium price. Your silver round is a generic piece that is valued in the $25 range and could sell slightly above or below according to the buyer.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
The silver 'spot' price changes every day, minute by minute. There is a web site that shows the silver and gold spot price, but you will have to do a search. I'm not a silver or gold coin stacker, but I believe coin shops SELL coins at spot price PLUS a percentage, and BUY coins at spot MINUS a percentage.
Good luck.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The silver 'spot' price changes every day, minute by minute. There is a web site that shows the silver and gold spot price, but you will have to do a search. I'm not a silver or gold coin stacker, but I believe coin shops SELL coins at spot price PLUS a percentage, and BUY coins at spot MINUS a percentage.
Good luck.
^^^ This is true, plus the fact that what you have is a Silver Round, not truly a coin. Silver bullion, minted by the government of any nation, might bring a slightly higher price if sold to a collector/investor, and the year of issue might play a role in its value. Tanrnish dos indeed detract from valu for a collector.

So, to give you a definite nswer: It depends.

Bob Wright