New Senchenal modified trigger for Ruger Security 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Punch7

Bearcat
As you can see, the safety blade has been reduced front to back by a good bit. The pivot point of the pin remains the same and I see no need for the extra materiel projecting forward.
The left side of the aluminum trigger remains untouched but the right side where my finger first makes contact has been radiused as has the bottom right side and rounded toward the center of the trigger.
The trigger feels much better as the blade moves in faster. No big deal but I wanted to try it that way.
While I was at it, I also changed out the stock springs for those in the MCARBO Security 9 Trigger Spring Kit. Now THAT made a huge difference in the operation of the pistol! I didn't have a trigger gauge but I do know the new trigger and new spring kit have made a big difference to me.
IMG_5773.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg
IMG_5782.jpeg
IMG_5781.jpeg

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
That looks nice. I don't like plastic triggers, and this seems like a next purchase for me. Even if the only change is replacing the plastic trigger/blade with the aluminium kit, to me it is a big change. Thank you for sharing.

Punch7

Bearcat
The video instructions for removing and replacing the trigger are straightforward and rather simple, Hoosier Billy. A caution, though. When removing the chassis from the frame, be certain you keep pressure on the slide stop bar and the slide stop spring at the front left side of the chassis. If the bar moves, even slightly, the spring will unseat and has a tendency to go into orbit. I always lay the chassis down on the left side before removing any pressure. If the spring comes loose, the surface of what you are working on will stop it from going any where. I read a great tip on how to wait until you have put the chassis back almost all the way into the frame before re inserting the slide stop spring in place.
Be sure to polish the sear and hook area on the hammer and trigger because it does help smooth things out.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Thank you for the tip. I used to work on electronic equipment that had very small screws, and I learned to use a towel over my desk during disassembly to keep falling screws or small pieces from bouncing and going far. Also I messed a lot with my old LC9, so I am familiar with those bars and springs.

Punch7

Bearcat
I always use a white terrycloth towel on my work bench. It's almost like Velcro for springs, screws, rolled pins and other small parts that fall from what you're working on. Some folks like the pads from various vendors that depict images of a particular firearm's various parts, and if you need that help, I'm sure those illustrations add a lot of confidence to a newbie. But most of them have a black background which to my aged mind is a deterrent. Besides, we have bunches of old white towels that were paid for many years ago.

Punch7

Bearcat
Hey, folks, I should have mentioned in my original post in this thread, that the finish on my trigger was purchased originally as the black anodized trigger from Galloway. I was told Galloway did not provide a mill finish trigger for the Security 9 pistol. But I wanted a mill finish, not black or red. So I did some research online about removing anodizing from aluminum and... BINGO! The product I used is called Whink Rust Stain Remover and, man does this solution work quickly! Be sure if you choose to use it, observe all safety precautions and remember, this product works only in a glass container. Ask me how I know.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Why?
Just a personal preference thing or you've had problems with them?
I don't like the feel of it. I tend to think that plastic wears a lot faster and easier than metal. Since I ride the trigger while shooting, looking for the reset, I would prefer ride on metal than on plastic. I am no expert on this, but is the way I think.

hittman

Staff member
The millions of Nylon 66s made over the decades didn't seem to suffer much from plastic parts. Ruger 10/22s do fine too but many still shy away from their plastic triggers.

I'm kinda the same way with rubber grips ….. not for me at all …. Don't like their shape, feel, size, texture but ….. lotsa folks swear by them.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
The millions of Nylon 66s made over the decades didn't seem to suffer much from plastic parts. Ruger 10/22s do fine too but many still shy away from their plastic triggers.

I'm kinda the same way with rubber grips ….. not for me at all …. Don't like their shape, feel, size, texture but ….. lotsa folks swear by them.
I agree with that. I remember an old video where Ruger was showing a 10/22 trigger guard made out of metal, drop testing vs the polymer trigger guard, and I was shocked to see that the metal one broke in pieces while the polymer one just bounced, didn't break nor seemed marred either. Now, that was an impact test. I would like to see a test that shows wear .