New Vaquero .357 Light Primer Strikes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Newbie_Vaquero

Bearcat
If returning it to Ruger is an option, that is how I would proceed.

However- if it turns out it isn't an option, then from your description " there is some play in the transfer bar…". If this is with the hammer down, trigger depressed so the transfer bar is in the "up" position, I would guess the hammer nose needs to be shortened.

Ruger does have a transfer bar assembly that is thicker and compensates for what you are describing. This one came off my mid frame flat top originally. I'll attach a picture.

You can see how the end where it contacts the firing pin is thicker.

View attachment 48317View attachment 48318

By "Hammer Nose" this is what I am referring to, indicated by the pen. Shortening this portion effectively decreases the depth of the notch below it. The transfer bar is impacted by the area of the the notch. If you have a way of measuring the thickness of the transfer bar and then the depth of the notch, if there's a big difference that might give you a clue as to what's happening.

View attachment 48323
Ruger have been in touch and said they will ship replacement parts. No indication of what those parts are though. It may be a known issue that they aren't discussing. The shipment will take some time given the export hoops but at least it will be sorted. I might get the power custom kit from brownells in the interim. Thanks for all your help. It's really appreciated.

Newbie_Vaquero

Bearcat
No problem on me trying to help. It does appear that Ruger does need to look at it. If you are in Ireland,, it'll take a bit longer than it would here,, but they are pretty good about turn-around time.
Ruger have been in touch and are sending replacement parts over. It must be a known issue as they seem to know which parts to replace. Likely to take some time but I can wait. Thanks for commenting and helping.

Ruger have been in touch and said they will ship replacement parts. No indication of what those parts are though. It may be a known issue that they aren't discussing. The shipment will take some time given the export hoops but at least it will be sorted. I might get the power custom kit from brownells in the interim. Thanks for all your help. It's really appreciated.
Let us know how it turns out.