Now That Ruger Owns Marlin ,Lever Gun???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bull Barrel

Hunter
The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi Rive
P89DC said:
Imo Marlin is a perfect complement to the Ruger single action revolver line and Ruger stole it for $26M. Imagine the engineering/equipment cost to build a resource like Marlin and then try to win some market share. For $26M Ruger is set up to dominate the lever market.

I expect Ruger will invest in the Marlin because they have plenty of cash. I can't wait for a stainless Marlin with hammer forged barrel.

Another consideration is political. In places like Australia lever action rifle remain legal. If the situation changes in the US with semiautomatic rifles Ruger will have hedged its revenue for a bargain at $26million.

Agreed, it was the deal of the century.
As for investing all the Ruger cash in Marlin, and it's prudent to do so, maybe some of that cash could be aimed at Ruger quality control. Get it right before it goes out the door reduces rework later and makes for happy customers and improves market reputation.

I've always had a theory of how quality control works in manufacturing and specifically at Ruger. The refit the machines and start making a new gun and have a good quality control dept. at the end of 'the line'. As problems come off the line of course the determine what caused it and fix them and less and less 'bad guns' go through quality control until those folks are pretty much sitting around doing very little... then it's time for the bean counters to show up and look at ways of reducing waste including employment..... you see where this leads....

P89DC

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I've always had a theory of how quality control works in manufacturing and specifically at Ruger. The refit the machines and start making a new gun and have a good quality control dept. at the end of 'the line'. As problems come off the line of course the determine what caused it and fix them and less and less 'bad guns' go through quality control until those folks are pretty much sitting around doing very little... then it's time for the bean counters to show up and look at ways of reducing waste including employment..... you see where this leads....

Real quality control comes early in the design cycle, not at the end of the manufacturering cycle. If a company thinks quality control is an inspection process their engineering ethos is stuck in early in the last century.

toysoldier

Hunter
jjas said:
What I would really like to see re-released is a Marlin 39m .22 lever action rifle. I wanted one when I was younger but couldn't find one. Now the prices have jumped through the roof on gunbroker (and other sites like that).

If they bring it out, I'll buy one, that's for sure.

The first gun I bought for myself, back in 1969, was a Model 39. The local J.C. Penney was closing out its sporting goods department, and I got it for $70. Many years later, I picked up a front half of a '39 for $120. It took a few strokes of a Swiss file to fit it to my back half. I then shortened it to 17", fashioned a full-length fore end, and mounted a Skinner sight. I now have the choice of a short-barreled iron-sighted carbine, or a 24" scope-sighted rifle. I'd like to get another front half to make into a smooth-bore. Do you suppose a dealer could work a deal with Ruger to offer a cased set like this? Would it sell?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Chiappa now sells a rifle that looks like a loose copy of the 39 for under $400.00. I see no reason Rugerlin couldn't tweak the 39 to be more mass production friendly.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Marlin offered the 1895 in .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger for awhile so it is possible.

Please provide some references to this. The 1895 is not strong enough to handle the high pressures that either of these rounds generate. If the barrel/receiver threads were done like for the 450 Marlin rifle maybe, but even then, 48 to 50k psi is a stretch.

Ben Forkin and maybe Mic McPhiersen made a few 1894's using special tooling to modify the threads to allow more meat in the barrel tenon. This same procedure can be performed on 1895's, but I doubt any were made in 475 or 480.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Ohio Mega Bass T/T said:
Didn't Ruger have a lever action rifle at one time but it didn't sell?

The Model 96 in 44 Magnum and 22 Magnum. I have the 44 and it's a good little gun. Would be great if Ruger brought it out again in 223. Not a lot to choose from in levers for that cartridge. Box magazine eliminates one of the issues.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I have never hunted deer, owned a lever action rifle or even fired one. I'm very interested to see what Ruger does to the Marlin lever actions. In the meantime, I'm watching bucks on my trail cam.

gak

Buckeye
BlkHawk73 said:
protoolman said:
How about a .32 mag lever gun? I know, I'm just dreaming........

They did that. Had a .32 H&R mag and a .32-20 in the 1894 . Had the .32 mag for a while which matched the pair of fixed sight Single Sixes in the same chambering I'd intended to use for CAS.

+1. The "old" .32 H&R Mag lever is/has been unobtanium for some time. Though that's my cartridge of choice, its replacement is bound to be .327 and I'm fine with that as it will/should also chamber the H&R. The .327 should be a no brainer as Ruger was the main launch partner (formally or not) with Federal and has since intro been the biggest pusher of the round.

I would also love to see chambering in the. 32-20 again.. And let's make them all svelte like the older JMs.

gak

Buckeye
I would like to see the 95 as a return to the svelte lines of the ol' 93 (and some old 336s), including variants that harken back to the original saddle ring carbine (with all the signature carbine features at least as options*) - - which was a 95% dead ringer for the Winchester 94. Along with that request, I would like to see an also svelte 94 chambered in .327/32 H&R, .32-20 (repeating my reply to another post in this thread), .44-40 and .38-40 in addition to the usual modern medium and big bores.

* I can see two variants of both 93 (95) and 94 models. One genuine SRC with the carbine butt, requisite saddle ring and ladder sight. And another one with scope/rail, shotgun butt Etc, with an all-weather SS/laminated stock sub-variant.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
gak said:
BlkHawk73 said:
protoolman said:
How about a .32 mag lever gun? I know, I'm just dreaming........

They did that. Had a .32 H&R mag and a .32-20 in the 1894 . Had the .32 mag for a while which matched the pair of fixed sight Single Sixes in the same chambering I'd intended to use for CAS.

+1. The "old" .32 H&R Mag lever is/has been unobtanium for some time. Though that's my cartridge of choice, its replacement is bound to be .327 and I'm fine with that as it will/should also chamber the H&R. The .327 should be a no brainer as Ruger was the main launch partner (formally or not) with Federal and has since intro been the biggest pusher of the round.

I would also love to see chambering in the. 32-20 again.. And let's make them all svelte like the older JMs.

Yes to a 32! I've never been able to get my hands on a Marlin 32 but would love one to go with my birdshead single six.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
would like to see them make 327s that would shoot the other four cartridges or maybe a 357/38 or maybe both.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Taurus/Rossi/Braztech announced the Winchester 92 clone in .32 mag but never produced it! I was waiting for that one! If Marlin did it again I would score one for sure. Can't wait to see a Ruger/ Marlin.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Hoping for a 32 mag. but would settle for a 38/357.
Even a 30-30 would be useful.
They wouldn't have to breath very hard to put new life into the Marlin lever gun.
Marlins are so popular around here that you rarely find one for sale and if you do they are like
$750.00 on up.