OK to clean semi-auto barrel by immersing it in cleaning fluid?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Back to the OP. Make sure your solvent doesn't eat some pieces.

A gunsmith friend told me of something that happened to him in the very early 60's. They had some type of solvent bucket they used. He hooked a Ruger on the wire by the trigger guard and dropped it in the tank . The next day he pulled out the wire and it was empty. Apparently whatever was in the solvent ate aluminum. Lesson learned.

Star43

Blackhawk
Wow, that was an expensive lesson to be learned. What is wrong with spraying and wiping them down with good old WD-40 after shooting. It gets a lot of residue off and protects the metal at the same time, before of course you clean them.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Personally, as a collector I have a few guns and I can't shoot more than one at a time, so whenever I buy a gun either used or new, I take it apart and clean it. Then to the range to shoot 6 or 12 or so rounds just to make sure that the gun works and has no problems. Then take it apart and clean and oil it before I put it in the safe till I decide to shoot it again or not. Just my way of doing things. The safe is humidity controlled so I don't fret any corrosion.

Bubbas358

Bearcat
I look at the OP's question this way.....

If the barrel, slide, or cylinder of a firearm cannot be soaked in a cleaning solution that is designed for firearm cleaning (or a base product of most cleaning solutions: diesel, for example) then that part would not have been properly designed to withstand the actual firing of a round.

Now, as to submerging whole assemblies into a proper solvent bath....I have no problems with that either. This is as long as there are no polymer parts within/attached/or otherwise kept in the solvent. This also goes for sights: painted, plastic, fiber optic, or tritium.....one must use common sense when dunking parts into cleaner.

If the OP is asking if the submerging is safe for completely metallic parts.....generally yes, it is. The problems arise when there is a misunderstanding of what is capable of being used for solvents vs the parts being submerged/cleaned. Just as one would not try to spray a cleaner/solvent onto a really nice paint job/finish/plastic part (sight), one should not try to be careless with the cleaning solvent application.

This statement was made in the understanding that the OP was not going to be using a whole bath of "polymer safe" solvent to clean the parts asked about. That could be another whole thread of discussion.

Hertervillian

Saluki
Mobuck, I agree with your tool sentiments.

had a very nice somewhat collectible SIG, I was hesitant to treat it like a handgun was designed to be treated. Part of the appeal as a collectible was the rather delicate special finish K-Kote. That got traded for a nice NMBH .41, my start in this Ruger thing.

I'll admit many of my tools are treated like "torque wrenches". ;)