Old Herters scale

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I decided I needed a balance beam scale as a back up for my digital but money is tight so I went looking for something used. I found online an old Herters scale that has a level, and is dampened with oil. It holds 330 grains. I got it for about $15 and is in working condition. I am not sure about the oil and how much to or even what kind, but knowing Herters it should be pretty tough. Anyone else have or have used a Herters scale?

GP100man

Buckeye
I have & use an ole Webster scale & I found synthetic P/S fluid does the best ,no migration ,no smell .

Use just enuff to cover the main part of the paddle.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Can't say I've ever been up close and personal w/ a Herter's "oil dampened" scale, so went surfing to see what they're all about. It appears Hoppe's gun oil, 3 in 1, and 10W-xx motor oils have all served well for the folks I found talking about these scales.

Considering when the scale was probably built, it most likely didn't require anything exotic. Maybe even mineral oil from the medicine cabinet?

Rick C

hammie

Single-Sixer
Herters! Boy that takes me back. Just reading their catalog was more entertaining than watching a current episode of "I Love Lucy". All of their equipment was designated "Model Perfect". So I guess the required oil would be model perfect scale oil. LOL

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
I love those old herter scales. Any light wt oil will work. And as GP100man said, use just enough oil to cover the main part of the paddle. Also beam scales are the least accurate at the low end. Calibrate the scale with the lightest weight possible before adding oil. Then add oil to verify everything is OK.

GP100man

Buckeye
Here`s a pic of my Websters .

102_0622.jpg

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Aside from oil, any appropriately viscous fluid will work. Maple syrup for instance, and the viscosity is easily adjustable (though it has the disadvantage of getting thicker over time as the water evaporates). It also smells nice.

Lost Sheep

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I bought a similar Herter's scale in 1970. Only it wasn't oil-dampened. I was using it until last spring when I gave it to my son. Still works fine.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
Have had my old Herters scale since the late 60's, and never put anything in the well where the paddle rests. I just use it like it is and never had a problem with tens of thousands of rounds I have loaded. I still use the Herters scale exclusively and never felt a need for anything else! :D

To quote the old Herters catalog, mine is "Model Perfect!"

Latest posts