OLD model or NEW model???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
If you plan on hunting with it, the NM action is by far stealthier. I once missed getting in an easy, close range shot at one of the nicest Whitetail Bucks that I've seen around my area. Because, he heard me cocking the hammer of my OM 41 Magnum. He looked right at me, quickly panicked and took off full steam ahead! Leaving me perplexed and cussing under my breath... Never had that happen with a NM.

KIR

Sparks, NV
I prefer the OM as I don't like the sights (front & back) on the NM. To each his own!

I love and prefer the Old Models. I keep saying to myself "OK, no more NM's. You've got enough. Just nice OM's from now on." That said, seems too often that some New Model catches my eye and I'm able to get it for a really great price.

I have large hands and on all my "shooters" I replace the grip frame with either a Super Blackhawk Hunter or a RWGripframes unit. I have a really hard time customizing an Old Model out of respect for it. Same with vehicles- I couldn't bear to customize a beautiful 1957 GMC pickup- but a 2002? It's getting the treatment…

jmca

Bearcat
I like both and probably have more new models that old but the preference is for the old if push comes to shove.
I'm kind of an odd man out s well as most of the time I load the new models exactly like the old, an empty chamber under the hammer. ut want to be sure that I don't mess up and load siz in an old model when out on a desert or moutain hike. On the rare occasion I run into a bear or Mountain Lion I've always had the time to add the extra round into the empty chamber. I've never had either one stand their ground or make threatening moves. I know I can load all six in a new model safely but it's just a habit I stay with. I sometimes carry a Colt single action so again, maintain the habit.
Paul B.
I have an OM and an off brand, All 5 shooters(6)!
I figure 5 shots is good enough for day to day carrying, but if I thought I needed more, then I would drop in the 6th round.
Funny thing is, my brother owns an S&W in 45LC, He carry's that with 5 rounds too! He said, its an old model, not safe to carry with 6 rounds(?) Besides, day to day 5 rounds is plenty!

Star43

Buckeye
I think most of your decision comes from what you can find in your location and/or where you live, especially if you are like me in trying to buy locally or somewhat locally, within a five county area, for me, in person. Sure the Old Model is great but as the years go by, they get harder and harder to find, as most guys want to keep them. On the other hand if you prefer a Stainless gun, then the New Model is your only option. I am fortunate to have one Old Model, and a "few" New Models, and to be quite honest, I love them all. 👍

Last edited:

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
If you plan on hunting with it, the NM action is by far stealthier. I once missed getting in an easy, close range shot at one of the nicest Whitetail Bucks that I've seen around my area. Because, he heard me cocking the hammer of my OM 41 Magnum. He looked right at me, quickly panicked and took off full steam ahead! Leaving me perplexed and cussing under my breath... Never had that happen with a NM.
With an OM hold the trigger back while you cock it. no noise.

Cholo

Staff member
With an OM hold the trigger back while you cock it. no noise.
On my OM CF's the last 2 clicks are audible. I compared to my deer scarer '79 NM SBH and those 2 clicks are much louder. I scared so many deer with that gun that I stopped hunting with it. I didn't have an OM SBH back then, but I believe it would have worked (y)