Pepper Spray

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I love being many kinds of nerds. It always has helped during life when I wore my pocket protector and this plastic glasses complete with the tape holding them together at the nose piece. I am the female Eddie Deezen. :)

eddie-deezen-photos-05.jpg

Here's one thing I've never understood. What idiot figured out that police officers need to be pepper sprayed and tazed in order to qualify for their use? Following that logic a recruit should be shot with a 9 mm handgun, shotgun and rifle to qualify in their use.
I've wondered as well. I'm guessing that they want the cops to know that the non-lethal stuff can stop someone, and how well they work. Build confidence in their equipment. It's the only reason that I can think of.

SO, to get back to the original question... who has experience with various pepper sprays.

I'm on my churches safety team and our new chairmen is interested in finding the best one out there.

I only have some very limited experience with the before mentioned. Sabre Red Gel stuff....

We have decided it would be best to have on hand some but if at all possible concentrated and easy to direct and not disperse in a cloud.

SO, to get back to the original question... who has experience with various pepper sprays.

I'm on my churches safety team and our new chairmen is interested in finding the best one out there.

I only have some very limited experience with the before mentioned. Sabre Red Gel stuff....

We have decided it would be best to have on hand some but if at all possible concentrated and easy to direct and not disperse in a cloud.
As a general rule it's not a good idea to use indoors, others will be affected and that will cause all kinds of other problems. People will be teary eyed and coughing as the A/C or other means passes it throughout the building. Maybe issue only to the outside guards. Buy some practice stuff that's free of the pepper chemical and train how to hose someone down and not get the sprayer person or others affected.

That is why I'm leaning toward the before mentioned Sabre Gel.... but advise is always welcome and a few of us are planning to go to one members private range and to a degree test some out. Not on each other but just to see how some work and maybe get a sniff. Also do some testing with the Byrna pistol I have ordered and on top of that our new Chairman has never shot a handgun, you have to realize the folks I'm / we're trying to protect at this 'fellowship' are not your normal church goers as y'all would think.

fastgun

Bearcat
Some one mentioned a pepper spray nerd. Does the name John Peters mean anything? I took his training and early info.

Today, I would say that you should not be too interested in a products % but rather Scoville Heat rating. That is the key to pepper spray working or not. And it also determines the speed that it works on a target. Fox Labs has been mentioned. They are a very good product. Buy their sprays that dispense in a stream. The cone shaped sprays produce a lighter mist that is more easily blown by the wind.

At my agency we issued OC foam. Now retired over six years I don't recall the brand. The good part is that we could use it in an enclosed environment with no cross contamination. The down side was you had to hit the eyes, there was no effect on the respiratory system. Conservatively counting I probably used it 75-100 times. My observation is that it was about 80% effective. By that I mean that the subject being sprayed either stopped fighting or their ability to effectively resist was diminished. The other 20%? They had to be controlled by more forceful means.

Now retired I keep OC handy for that gray area between talking and shooting and prefer a fogger type so it affects both vision and respiration. You just have to be VERY aware of wind direction and I don't anticipate use in an enclosed environment.

For your use I would suggest gel or foam.