Poor Man's Strongbox

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I made a pretty decent lockbox using the lock studs that I found in the below link. I realize that a person with some tools can hack or bang away until they open it, but they will have to work at it and they will be heard. It cost me less than $20 for the two stud lock kits and I have several unused ammo boxes of various calibers in my storage room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018EYU5HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
414024971.jpg

Enigma

Hunter
Not to be a buzzkill, but that style padlock is pretty easily defeated. Look on Youtube for videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kxlTtTZLI

I'd invest in a better quality padlock, personally.

Critch

Single-Sixer
I used one of those hidden hasp locks on mine..it won't be easy to open. Any thief given enough time can defeat most of our locks, however, time is their enemy...anything that slows them down makes them look elsewhere for something to steal...

Enigma said:
Not to be a buzzkill, but that style padlock is pretty easily defeated. Look on Youtube for videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kxlTtTZLI

Yea, I hear you. I'm planning on replacing all my Master Locks high quality combos as soon as possible . I would like to reduce the number of keys I now deal with. As I stated above a person with some tools can hack or bang away until they open any type lock box. For that matter they can steal the whole dern truck if they are determined.

Thanks for the video,

cas6969

Buckeye
I did electrical work for years dealing with hundreds of panels all with different locks on them. After dealing with the nightmare of keys and lack there of, I learned how to pick locks. I wish I'd learned 10 years sooner. I still open a couple locks a week at work for myself or coworkers and they're always amazed at how quickly I do it. If only they knew just how easy it really is most of the time. The even sadder part is, cheap Chinese knockoffs of Master locks are usually a lot harder to pick than real Master locks. :lol:

Enigma said:

I watched the video, pretty interesting. However, how many (typically petty theft) crooks carry even those simple tools to open Master Lock locks? Most, for something like an ammo can, is an opportunity theft, see an ammo can in the back of a truck, no one around, grab the box and run. Look in the back of a truck, see an ammo box chained and padlocked and the quick grab and run is now a longer period of time. Are they really going to spend the time, out in the open, trying to quickly unlock the chains to grab what MIGHT be a good snag or not? Ammo can in a truck, full of valuables, probably not. Worth the time/effort to try to get it, probably not. A determined/experienced thief can defeat the locks most people use, but even they evaluate if it is worth their effort. Any lock will deter or lengthen the time it takes to get the item and for a crook, the time to do the job is essential.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
I made a pretty decent lockbox using the lock studs that I found in the below link. I realize that a person with some tools can hack or bang away until they open it, but they will have to work at it and they will be heard. It cost me less than $20 for the two stud lock kits and I have several unused ammo boxes of various calibers in my storage room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018EYU5HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
414024971.jpg
I have used several of these. Bolted down in the back of pickups. They work pretty good. Watched a guy try to grab one and run. Didn't work and he was caught.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
My ammo box (which actually had ammo in it - I carry a box or so of most every caliber I frequently shoot in my truck) along with a canvas tool bag were stolen out of my cross-bed toolbox awhile back, which I had carelessly left unlocked. Not even sure exactly when it happened, just discovered them missing one day. I've been more mindful of keeping it locked since. May have happened at home but probably at work, as I have to park in an area that's not well-lit and pretty isolated after most of the crew leaves at 5 pm ( I work till 9 or 10 some nights). I was amazed how much $$ worth of ammo and tools I had in those two little boxes when I started replacing it - especially the tools. And this wasn't primary tools, just stuff to take care of emergency situations. They didn't take any of the bigger stuff - there were axes, shovels, machete, lug wrenches, etc.. - they just grabbed the two small boxes and ran, apparently.

29aholic

Single-Sixer
I basically did the same thing as a tool box in my old K10 chevy. Same box and it is not quite as wide as the wheel well so it doesnt take up cargo space. I mainly use it to keep my ranching tools and log chain dry.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Just drive the hinge pin out.

But like stated earlier most snatch and grab bandits won't be carrying a hammer and punch.

caryc

Hawkeye
wiz1997 said:
Just drive the hinge pin out.

But like stated earlier most snatch and grab bandits won't be carrying a hammer and punch.

Ammo boxes don't have one hinge pin. They have three or four small ones so the lid can just be taken of by sliding the back of the lid to one side.

My father, a machinist usually carried a large set of pass keys he'd made around with him for when he needed to open someones pad lock that had lost the key...

As for the dial combo locks... they have one user flaw.... most folks when they open one don't immediately spin the dials and so they leave the opening combination exposed.... I have a combination number I set all my locks like this to when I open them... that way they lock back easily and also I can check and see if anyone has ever messed with them.... no one remembers to look at the numbers the combination was on when they attempt to open one.... to set it back to that number.