Reducing case length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BraceCreek

Bearcat
I've been considering trimming the case length of 45-70 or .444 to 1.800 max. to meet the requirements for using centerfire cartridges for deer hunting in the shotgun area in Michigan.

I would reduce the powder charge, but not sure by how much. Would trimming the case back to 1.800 cause any other issues, has anyone tried the same?

427mach1

Blackhawk
I would question whether this would work to get you within the legal limits of the law. Do they actually measure the cartridge you are using or do they have a list of acceptable calibers? If they use SAAMI specs for a particular caliber, shortening your cases would be a waste of time and brass.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'm interested in what the law reads also.
I don't know if trimming over a 1/4" off a 45-70 case would be safe.

BraceCreek

Bearcat
The requirements for using a rifle in the shotgun zone are that the case be straight wall measuring 1.800" max. and be .358 dia. or larger. The big debate has been on the case length, with no mention of head stamp or parent cartridge.

A friend has shortened 45-70 cases to meet the requirements and reduced the load with great results. There are no signs of excessive pressure and accuracy has been very good.

Thank you for your comments

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
427mach1 said:
I would question whether this would work to get you within the legal limits of the law. Do they actually measure the cartridge you are using or do they have a list of acceptable calibers? If they use SAAMI specs for a particular caliber, shortening your cases would be a waste of time and brass.

Here in Ohio it's straight wall handgun calibers 357
& bigger with 5"bbl. being the minimum length.
But now I guess they're going to let hunters use rifles with the same caliber specs. This year during the gun season. I don't know all the facts yet, I haven't bought a new permit yet.
I always wanted a separate season just for handgun use. Just a little 3-day season in the middle of Jan. would be nice.

06ackley

Single-Sixer
Here in indiana it's the same way and several guys I know use the short 45-70. I know they are not using reduced charges but won't post what they use. I am planning to use my shortened 358 Winchester this year. By the way the 444 shortened won't work. It has enough taper to cause sizing problems. I tried that and could not get it to work

BraceCreek

Bearcat
The 1.800 is case length........... not cartridge OAL. These requirements are for rifles only in the shotgun zone

Thank you for the info about resizing the .444

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
The only drawback I can foresee is that some lever guns may be picky about feeding the shortened case / bullet combination especially if a light weight (shorter) bullet is used. I would load up a few "dummy" rounds of your intended combination, load the magazine, and then cycle from the tube to verify that all is well in YOUR rifle. Obviously if it is a "single shot" this is of no concern. Of coarse you'll want to back off slightly on the powder charge getting started due to the reduced case capacity, this being more important with Heavy (long shank) bullets and max charges of slower powder. Have fun, be safe, fill the freezer!
Justice B. Swift (a.k.a. Just B.S.)

Latest posts