replace Mini 30 hammer spring with Wolff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgang

Bearcat
Fellow shooters,

Looking for a little insight. I shoot a Ruger Mini 30 and use imported steel case ammo. Because of the price of American ammo and even the super high cost of components for 7.62x39 I buy the cheap imported stuff. For the most part Wolf ammo works fine but I have run across some of the newer imported ammo with harder primers, and the resulting misfires. A friend at the range recommended buying an extra power Wolff hammer spring to replace the Ruger's. Another person then argued the Wolff spring and hard primers would break the firing pin

Does anybody out ther have any experience with this. All opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance and good shootin' to ya', Dgang.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
I've been running Wolf extra power recoil and hammer springs for just over 15 years with zero problems and I primarily shoot Russian ammo. I recommend replacing both springs though. The heavier recoil spring will prevent most of what will look like light strikes on "duds". The extra power hammer spring will set off those hard primers fairly well.

IMG_0293.jpg

They work well on Mini 14's too.

IMG_0263.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't have or shoot a Mini but I have read about broken firing pins and the un-availability of them except from Ruger when you send the gun back. This could be a serious problem with any custom work on you gun, plus the cost of shipping. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

I think you can get replacement pins from Numrich... at least it seems like I bought two from them a few years back for my mini-14 and I think the 30 takes the same pin.

I personally am more comfortable letting a real gun smith do the replacement of the pin though.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I think you can get replacement pins from Numrich... at least it seems like I bought two from them a few years back for my mini-14 and I think the 30 takes the same pin.

I personally am more comfortable letting a real gun smith do the replacement of the pin though.
Thanks Blume, that was just something I read about here on the forum. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
i have an older mini-30 and have put mostly wolf/bear ammo through it for years and the only issues i've had were related to the crappy aftermarket mags that ended up as tagets.......

Latest posts