RIP Willie Mays

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Class act. He finished his career with the Mets and he was a shadow of his former self but he was out there and doing his best he could at his age. Should he have done it, no I don't think so but us NY'ers cheered him as if he was with the Giants in his golden years. Say Hey 👍

el caminero

Single-Sixer
Passed today at 93.
I remember seeing him play at Candlestick with my Dad these many years ago...
Incredible grace and athleticism.
An era passed...Godspeed #24.
You know why candlestick park is so windy? Well, theres a Giant Fan in every seat!
The loss of any hero is oft a hard thing to take.

jav

Single-Sixer
This might date me a bit but I remember the days we cut school catch the bus for 25cents to candlestick park and watch Willie hit home runs

JBP

Single-Sixer
Growing up I lived within walking distance of both Yankee Stadium and the Polqo Grounds where both the Giants and Mets played. I went to both stadiums and got a chance to see Wliie Mays in his early years as well as Mickey Mantle. Always was a big disagreement as to who was the better player. In their prime it was real close but when all is said and done have to go with Mays.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Some somber thoughts lately. Many of the names I heard about in my younger days are dying off.

Will they be replaced? Yes, and No. I have the confidence that somewhere there are others, though they cannot replace those before them, will make a name for themselves. Ty Cobb? Babe Ruth? Their names are fading, new ones coming out.

Bob Wright

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I am going to say it clumsily. I am not a wordsmith.
I wish I could get a bunch of left wing radicals to come over and read the remarks on this thread.
Nothing but love and respect over the passing of a black man. (And great athlete)
Not the propaganda the left shovels out every day bashing conservatives. Especially gun loving conservatives. About how we hate anyone not white.
We are not out looking for people of color to injure. We are very much live and let live. The left might be surprised how much respect is here if they would take the time to see it.

pawncop

Blackhawk
He was one of my heroes back in the day. May he Rest In Peace. Hopefully he is now snagging fly balls from DiMaggio.

Reactions: jav

KIR

Sparks, NV
While I never got a chance to formally meet Willie Mays, I was at a card show where he was signing autographs on various memorabilia. While he was doing so, a young, playful and mischievious kid came by and Willie told him, "Go away kid, you bother me". I thought it was hilarious, the way he said it.
Willie was an awesome player from the films and videos I saw him in. A scourge to my DODGERS, but one could only respect a man like that, not only in his playing ability, but in his presence and stature.
At my age, it seems like many people are passing away, ones that I "grew up" with and I find myself, getting mysty with each one that does. It may seem insufficient, but I can only say, RIP Willie Mays!

Latest posts