Ruger #1 CHP in .357 magnum at auction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Very nice piece but I don't get it why they call it a CHP. Can't imagine cops arming themselves with a slow loading, single round firearm so kind of a strange name given by Ruger.

"For the love of God why??? Did they have a raffle or something???"

Lots of law enforcement agencies do this. Border Patrol and Texas Department of Public Safety, are two I've seen commemoratives from. Agents and officers and their family members collect them.
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
I have a stainless Security Six in .38 Spl market CHP. No other markings to make it a commemorative though.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have a stainless Security Six in .38 Spl market CHP. No other markings to make it a commemorative though.
The Stainless Security Six in .38 Spl. was NOT a commermorative but a failed contract. A Ruger distributer won the contract to supply new revolvers to the CHP with a low bid and had the guns made up only to lose the contract later to S&W. The guns were then sold on the open market. The CHP rejected the Rugers as "non compatable" with the existing S&W guns. It's a very interesting story. I have a copy of the rejection letter as well as examples of both the Ruger and S&W guns. Really, the only difference was the "push in" vis "push forward" cylinder release. Everything else was so much BS. The CHP has had a close relationship with S&W for a very long time and has consitantly rejected low bid contracts from other manufactuers such as Ruger, SIG and Glock. By the way, my son is a CHP officer.

"For the love of God why??? Did they have a raffle or something???"

Lots of law enforcement agencies do this. Border Patrol and Texas Department of Public Safety, are two I've seen commemoratives from. Agents and officers and their family members collect them.View attachment 31314View attachment 31315
But these are at least semi practical firearms! Who thought of chambering a big bore slow single shot rifle in a middling pistol caliber??? What's next??? A 9mm Barrett???

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Yeah, when I read only 14 were produced I thought to myself I've personally seen about 15 of those 14 produced! I knew that wasn't right.

RSIno1

Hunter
They were commissioned and sold by the "CHP Association" which is the labor union for the CHP officers. The state or CHP had nothing to do with them. Yes not rare but the bid is now at $950. If it stays under $1100 it will be a reasonable deal.

pyth0n

Buckeye
The Stainless Security Six in .38 Spl. was NOT a commermorative but a failed contract. A Ruger distributer won the contract to supply new revolvers to the CHP with a low bid and had the guns made up only to lose the contract later to S&W. The guns were then sold on the open market. The CHP rejected the Rugers as "non compatable" with the existing S&W guns. It's a very interesting story.
Thank you for the info. That is good stuff. I guessed it was just a contract & not a commemorative, since it was still a plain Jane 6. Like others, I'm a Sec 6 fan, & it caught my attention because it was .38 Spl. I have another, in .357, that is for the South Dakota Police Officer Association 50th Anniversary, and is decorated on the top strap with their info. Also has the letter, patch, & keychain tool.
Again thanks for the info.

hittman

Staff member
Some may argue the Missouri State Highway Patrol did a Commemorative AND Duty gun at the same time with the same gun. This was in 1981 for their 50th Anniversary.

IMG_0114.jpeg

I do NOT know all the particulars but here's what I understand from guys on the S&W Forum.

You'll see that logo above on a Model 60, 66-1 and 686-no dash. On the 60 and 66-1 you'll find stamped under the cylinder opening on the left side MSHP XXX (badge number). I believe if the Trooper wanted to use the 60 as on duty backup they needed to just notify the patrol of such. The 66-1 could be bought in a wood display box and Bowie knife.

The 686 above has stamped on the left only MHP. Experts tell me that's correct, on the 686s they switch from MSHP to just MHP. This one has no badge number as it was assigned to a Troop Headquarters armorer to be kept as a spare or "loaner" in case a Troopers weapon was down for service. And yes, this "no dash" is factory stamped with the "M" to verify its fix.

Oh, and some of the 686s also went to their Conservation officers but I've never seen one in person.

Last edited:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I have a SS GP100 6" .357, and 2 Blackhawks also. The GP100 is just great, and is rather easy to shoot (pull the trigger in the DA mode). My .357 6.5" .357 Mag Blackhawk has a hair triggers it is only a SA revolver. I bought this gun in 1965!!! My other Blackhawk is a .45 5.5" Convertible SS Flattop, but its handle is a bit lacking (not the grip, but the actual shape of the steel handle). If I hold it lower in my hand than what is normal, then the it is fine and does not cause blisters. It is a Lipsys special. Also, looking at your icon here, were you in the Air Force, and did you fly B-52's? That is my favorite plane. If so, when were you in and did you fly the BUFF?

pyth0n

Buckeye
My first handgun was a New model Blackhawk I got in1972. Since then it's been various double action revolver & semi autos. Just recently picked up a Heritage .22lr/wmr & a Single Six .22lr/wmr. Now I have to learn to shoot single action all over again. The grip throws me.
I was in the USAF, 21 years, 1970-91. In SAC on B-52H & B-1B.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Wow on all your guns, AND your service! All my guns are revolvers and are Rugers. What did you do on the two bombers, and which one did you prefer? Did you fly the B-52 in Vietnam at all? I was drafted in 1968, but go out of it due to a school deferment (University of Minn).

pyth0n

Buckeye
Wow on all your guns, AND your service! All my guns are revolvers and are Rugers. What did you do on the two bombers, and which one did you prefer? Did you fly the B-52 in Vietnam at all? I was drafted in 1968, but go out of it due to a school deferment (University of Minn).
I was a crew chief, aka acft general mechanic or gas station attendant. Then moved on through different positions as promotions came along. It took awhile to get to know the Buff since I went to fighter school. With the war going on, every out fit was short & slots were filled with what ever was in the pipe line. Never went to SEA. The H models were kept as the Nuclear force & we were clod warriors. Lots of alert time. I flew om the Buff as a flight mech but rarely went any where with them. We took off, flew 13 hours, & landed back home. (Like Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command).
Flew on a B-1B one time, from the factory to home base. I think I was the first Mech to do so. Went Mach 1. If the AC hadn't told me & showed me the Mach indicator, wouldn't have known it.
Of the 2, I preferred the 52. I spent 16 years on it & knew it well. B-1B was good on paper, but many problems as in all new planes. Personally I don't trust fly by wire acft. There were instances to support my distrust.
Sorry to the OP for the hijacking.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Wow! What a fantastic answer and service you provided. I am very big into military, especially history and WW II. Thanks for your amazing info and again I thank you for your service to the country. I have a website (my very own computer business), and in it I list many WW II books I suggest to read, and I have another list of WW II documentaries to watch. Of course my website has nothing to do with WW II, but I could not resist! In this very same website, I also have a file that lists all the main WW II battleships, along with their big guns and how powerful they all were.