Ruger .45 Magnum Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtrmkr

Bearcat
I see Ruger a Vaquero that is stamped .45 cal on the frame but the box it comes in says .45 Magnum

Is this a .45 Colt revolver or is there a .45 Magnum round?

Here is the link if you can take a look at the pictures of the frame and box label.

New to Ruger SA revolvers and trying to learn.

Thanks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421471467

hittman

Staff member
Others who know more than me will surely be along shortly but ...... if I remember, Ruger mis-marked some boxes back in the day.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
The box is mismarked. The revolver in question is a 45 Colt.
The 454 Casull could be considered a .45 Magnum, but that's a whole different story.

Near the bottom of this link is an engraved Vaquero that is also marked as 45 Magnum.
http://neaca.com/Sturm-Ruger-Firearms.html

Bucks Owin

Hunter
There is indeed a .45 Winchester Magnum cartridge, which looks like a stretched .45 ACP. But it has never been offered in a Ruger to my knowledge. Was designed for the Wildey gas operated auto pistol. Also 10" and 14" Contender barrels chambered for it. Ballistics similar to .44 mag. Some old Speer data I have shows a 260 gr bullet at 1435 fps... :wink:

Thel

Blackhawk
Bucks Owen has it right. I think at one time there was a LAR Grizzly offered in .45 magnum and perhaps some smaller mfr made a single action in the caliber. The Grizzly sort of looked like a 1911 on steroids.

Terry T

Buckeye
According to Chad, less than 1,750 of the BNV-455-IE were produced and it is known that the earlier ones had the mislabeled (.45 Magnum instead of the proper .45 LC) shipper boxes. The first known with the proper cal. marking is s/n 56-35977.
Defiantly a collectable Vaquero.

I have an 'clean up' Old Army and the box is labeled '.45 LC'!
Terry T

gtrmkr

Bearcat
Here is a gun up for auction that has the box marked as a .45 Magnum

You need to scroll down to picture #19 to see the mis labeled box

Real nice gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421471467

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thel said:
Bucks Owen has it right. I think at one time there was a LAR Grizzly offered in .45 magnum and perhaps some smaller mfr made a single action in the caliber.

United Sporting Arms made some .45 Winchester Magnum Sevilles. Most were convertibles, the other cylinder being .45 Colt.

45_Win_Mag_Seville.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Lee Martin said:
Thel said:
Bucks Owen has it right. I think at one time there was a LAR Grizzly offered in .45 magnum and perhaps some smaller mfr made a single action in the caliber.

United Sporting Arms made some .45 Winchester Magnum Sevilles. Most were convertibles, the other cylinder being .45 Colt.

45_Win_Mag_Seville.jpg

What a beauty... 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
Terry T said:
According to Chad, less than 1,750 of the BNV-455-IE were produced and it is known that the earlier ones had the mislabeled (.45 Magnum instead of the proper .45 LC) shipper boxes. The first known with the proper cal. marking is s/n 56-35977.
Defiantly a collectable Vaquero.

I have an 'clean up' Old Army and the box is labeled '.45 LC'!
Terry T

The original two-piece Old Army boxes are also marked .45 cal.
Chet15