Ruger BlackHawk Flat Top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dsf

Bearcat
Just picked up a Flat Top in 357 Magnum, unfortunately it was converted. I've gotten hammer, cylinder bolt and spring. Pretty sure I'm correct in that the converted trigger can be used when the dogleg is clipped. Any suggestions on where I can track down a hand, or anything "cross fits"?

IMG_0988.jpg

Picked up both in Reno while going to this weekend's gun show.

Johnnu2

Hunter
You've come to the right place dsf; the gang will probably be able to help you with the parts you need once everyone wakes up and gets on line.... Super nice gun(s).... the BH will be a LOT better once you get her converted back to the way she should be; looks brand new and beautiful to me.
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, you can cut off the "lever" with the hole in it off the back of the trigger, and use it. It doesn't have quite as much engagement as an OM trigger.

dsf

Bearcat
Thanks very much all. Excellent website - Classic Firearms LLC, hadn't thought of them.

I've used the same base pin on previous conversions back. FWIW, did a close look of the end and it looks like there's a threaded cap that can be unscrewed, spring & plunger lifted out.

dsf

Bearcat
Yes,, you can cut off the "lever" with the hole in it off the back of the trigger, and use it. It doesn't have quite as much engagement as an OM trigger.
Thanks. Will likely get a OM trigger. Just noticed this one has tons of side to side wiggle. I don't expect rock solid but this is way more than my others with OM.

Brant

Bearcat
Just a perfectly handy little handgun. Mine is not a flattop, and looks very rough. It's not a peach like that one. But it is the 357 I grab when I'm shooting a 357 and I have more than a few to choose from.

dsf

Bearcat
Ordered all the parts, got an OM hammer for $49.00 and the seller threw in a trigger. Happily surprised. Waiting for the other parts to arrive. Stupid question time -

Other than the hammer and cylinder bolt spring, is anything else really needed to purchase to make the change? The "safety model" trigger dogleg can be clipped. The hand is the same. Can the boss on the cylinder bolt be dressed down and that part also be used in OM configuration with the OM spring? The cylinder pin can be reconfigured or left is, works fine.

I've already laid out for the replacement parts, so this is just a "can it be done?" question. And considering that OM parts will be harder to find, if a little file work accomplishes it, good to know.