Ruger max 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I haven't shot mine enough to know if i like it or not but i do know I don't like the CT reddot that's on it, no battery tray , you have to take the sight off the gun to put a new battery in it , that's just bull , plus the only way to make it shut off is putting that hard cover over the sight

I think once it gets warm enough to get some shooting in and if i find i like the gun then it will be time for a better reddot

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Thank You Hvymax For the Come back, The Sig 365 is a very nice gun, but a little on the expensive side, I did get a Sig 228-380 ACP its about $300 Cheaper than the Sig 365 and I was able to operate the slide very well, and Loading the mag. was a lot easier, the Ruger max 9 Mag was a Beach to load IMHO :) Take care, Chellie
I recently bought a new 365x. Just a tad longer in grip than the original 365 allowing for a pinkie purchase on the grip. My wife liked it but preferred my new S&W 686 4" over the 365x even when loaded with very hot BB and underwood 158gn and 180gn hard cast ammo. Heavyish revolvers absorb a lot of energy.
The 12rd 365 mags are a bear to load by hand but knowing that before hand I bought two speed beez mag loaders for 365's online and were delivered before went to range. They made loading a breeze. Try the 365's. They aren't difficult to rack. 380 being blowback are usually harder to rack than 9mm.

Last edited:

Eclem

Bearcat
I'm lucky to have a gun-nut friend who has a nice indoor / outdoor pistol / rifle range on his property. He also has a wide assortment of semi pistols. About 6 years ago I jumped into the micro 9 game hoping to like the Sig 365. I did like it but the gun was having reliability issues. Went to my friend for advice and shot and settled on the Smith Shield 2.0. I bought one with laser built into the frame - excellent gun for EDC and home defense as it allows for unorthodox shots. (draw, point with gun held from your chest, shoot the dot ... no bad guy grabbing the gun from an orthodox extended hold : from behind a bed lying on the floor - hold your arm out so the bad guy thinks the laser beam indicates where your body is - shoot the dot) When more micro 9's started to grow to 10 - 11 - 12 rounds and were cut for red dot sights, I realized my Smith Shield 2.0 could be improved on. So back to my gun-nut friend and shot the new optics cut 9's ... Sig 365, Springfields, Glocks, Ruger, etc. They are all great and the red dot is a game changer for shots outside of 10 yards. The Ruger he had was a Max 9 (10 rounder) with a Holosun 407K on top. That combination was by far the best for me. So I ordered the Max 9 w/ Hogue grip and was shocked to find it for $299. It gets here this week and I'll pair it up with a Holosun 407K which is selling around $225.

Eclem

Bearcat
The Max9 arrived yesterday and the Hogue grip plus the 10 round pinky extension make for a perfect fit for my average size hands and the serrated trigger guard front makes for a very solid hold. The takedown pin hatch is really stiff (thought a wood dowel edge would work - no) but I got it to go (both ways) with a fine hollow ground gunsmith flat drive ... no scratch or problem. I hung some 8" and 10" steel at my home range and the gun is not overly snappy and is fast and accurate. The crapolla you hear on the "inter-web" about slight trigger side play and slide rattle is from "experts" who must never have handled a Colt 1911 - yes, race guns have tight tolerances for a specific ammo and perfect conditions - fighting guns are a bit loose to accommodate all kinds of conditions and ammo. The Max9 handled 3 types of ammo this morning flawlessly - cheap aluminum case included - HP's not tried. The slide is easy to rack and the trigger is smooth and predictable. The slide hold catch is just that - it is too stiff to release - I must slingshot the slide into action which is my habit of many years. So far so good.

Mike J

Hunter
The only issue I've had with mine was caused by me. Unbeknownst to me I was pushing the slide stop up with my thumb. I made a minor adjustment to my grip & it has been fine since. It did balk twice the first time I ran some 147 grain hollowpoints through it but it has been fine since (after looking at gel tests, etc. I prefer 147 grain for the small short barreled 9's. The 147 grain or 124 grain plus P seem to do a better job of expanding).