Ruger new vaquero shooting to left.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

delleighmy

Bearcat
Shot my new ruger new model vaquero in 45 colt yesterday. With a 230 grain lead bullet powered by 5.5 grains of unique. It shot 4 inches low and about 4 inches to the left of point of aim from a sandbag rest. Did the same for my father who is poshot on this forum. Any suggestions as to moving the shot placement to the right. I will adjust height with different powder loads. Target was 25 yards away.

maxpress

Buckeye
You can have the barrel turned left (counterclockwise) or file the rear notch on the right. Normally the trigger finger pulls left on a right handed shooter though. Vary the speed of your bullet also. But you sad it was sandbag so IDK about that.
On height I would just find a different load instead of filing the front sight. Try a 250gr at 900fps.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

This is very common, particularly with shooters who are not used to fixed sights. Check the position of your finger on the trigger. Do not put the trigger in the crease behind the first knuckle. Even though this feels like the natural way to pull the trigger, it will result in the shooter pushing the gun to the left if he is a righty.

Try again, this time being sure to pull the trigger with the pad under the fingernail. This will usually eliminate pushing the shots caused by 'too much finger on the trigger'.

Rclark

Hunter
My Vaquero (not new Vaquero) also shoots to the left... And, I am a lefty and this is what mine is doing with 8g of Unique pushing 250 RNFP:

Vaquero45Colt250RNFP8Pnt0gUnique.jpg

Haven't decided how I am going to 'handle' this yet.... Note that I added new base pin and Steel Ejector housing (which lowered the POI) . Always has shot left. Now it's a bit more... I've even opened up the sight picture to get it this 'close' :eek: . Thinking of handing it over to Bob Munden to do his magic on it....

delleighmy

Bearcat
Thanks driftwood. Already corrected that problem so I truly believe that this is a gun issue. Opening the rear site or turning the barrel are these things one can do in your garage or do I send it out to a gunsmith and if so any suggestions?

w5lx

Single-Sixer
delleighmy said:
Shot my new ruger new model vaquero in 45 colt yesterday. With a 230 grain lead bullet powered by 5.5 grains of unique. It shot 4 inches low and about 4 inches to the left of point of aim from a sandbag rest. Did the same for my father who is poshot on this forum. Any suggestions as to moving the shot placement to the right. I will adjust height with different powder loads. Target was 25 yards away.

Give Ruger a call and explain it is a "gun problem" and not a "shooter problem"....tell them why. I had a Vaquero that did the same thing and returned it to Ruger. They turned the barrel for me and paid postage both ways. The gun shot right on the money when I got it back. Turning the barrel is not an easy project...let the manufacturer do it.

Well,
Vaquero in Spanish means "shoots low to the left" a lot of the 45s do this.
Now how do I know ? Why because I have 6 of them. Ya I also shoot left and right handed. So it isn't the trigger thing. Ya use your pad on a rifle and the crease of the first joint in a pistolie. Ya I know Y'all don't agree but that is how it works. Why do you think God gave us that crease :lol:
One of the best G'Smiths in the country fixes them by BENDING the barrel. Sorry turning is NOT the way to fix it. Oh yea ya can't turn one in your garage unless ya want a bent frame. I tried it until I got smart. Turn it and ya end up with a cocked sight and an ejector rod housing all screwed up. If it shoots to the left that means ya have to tighten it to the left. Will not turn any tighter. Shoots to the left move REAR sight to the Right Front sight to the LEFT IMHO
Jim

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You need to put about 9.0gr of Unique behind that 230gr lead bullet and try again and see what you get. You are way down on power. :D

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

...Jimbo