Ruger No. 3 Re-barrel Gunsmith issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jbr002

Bearcat
Does anyone know a gunsmith that can turnkey, re-barrel and rework the extractor on Ruger No. 3 if re-barrel to another caliber from rimmed cartridge to non rimmed, the extractor has to be changed. And a source for some Ruger model 1 wood. Looking to build a No. 2 rifle. In a handy woods carbine.

RICHP

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know a gunsmith that can turnkey, re-barrel and rework the extractor on Ruger No. 3 if re-barrel to another caliber from rimmed cartridge to non rimmed, the extractor has to be changed. And a source for some Ruger model 1 wood. Looking to build a No. 2 rifle. In a handy woods carbine.
I just had one re-barreled from 45-70 to .41 mag. The smith did not say a whole lot about what he had to do to the extractor. He did say he had to do something with a spring, I think he had to replace it with a stronger one.
I have not got to take it to the range so I don,t know how good of a job he did.

I now have two of them, they are no. 2,s. My intentions are to put no.3 wood on this one, if I can find a set.

They both came to me as no. 3,s with no. 1 wood.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Sometime ago had my No 1 & 3 fitted with new barrels by Douglas Barrel Co. here in West Virginia. As for extractors purchased two for the caliber 348 and 6mmBR from Browells. All of these jobs were done several years ago and whether Brownell's still sells Ruger parts for the No 1 & 3 I do not know, but back then it was less than 10 dollars for each extractor.

Latest posts