Ruger Standard .22 Pistol (Low Serial Number)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MCM0866

Bearcat
I'm new on the forum and recently acquired a Ruger Standard .22 Pistol in pretty nice shape with what I believe is a pretty low serial number (#2006). I was wondering about the value of this pistol and anything else you could tell me. I took it apart and took a couple of pictures that I have attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Standard.jpg
    Standard.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Standard2.jpg
    Standard2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 85

Woodyib

Bearcat
You have a Ruger Red Eagle that was likely made in December of 1949. Are you looking to sale it? I'd be interested.

It's old, worn out and does not meet any of the current government firearm safety regulations.... you need to get rid of it before a bad thing happens... I'll offer $50 just to be kind.
(I'm making a joke by the way... ) I have no idea of what it is worth but I'd bet it's a bit more than my offer.

MCM0866

Bearcat
Gents,

Here are a few more photos of the pistol. Seems to be in really nice shape, but is missing the Red Eagle emblem.

Attachments

• Ruger6.jpg
    Ruger6.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Ruger5.jpg
    Ruger5.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Ruger4.jpg
    Ruger4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Ruger3.jpg
    Ruger3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Ruger2.jpg
    Ruger2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 43
  • Ruger1.jpg
    Ruger1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
Nice , early , actually the second batch ,starting at serial number 2000, but that being said the emblem ( a two piece set up is missing and the bolt is a later one, with the recoil spring support and is two tone, partially blued at the rear of the bolt,,,early ones were NOT, they were all in the white ( see below).... as well as your one magazine is two tone, (white at the top)so this detracts from the real value as to being "original"......those parts are quite costly and hard to find to make your gun "whole" again, but never know, the parts are out there...at least with the newer bolt it is safer to shoot, use.......I'd value it around the $450-550 mark "as is" if corrected it would e worth more, at least another $250-300.... a nice one, my wife has serial number 2720 , from that same time era frame as well as a "newer" made one with the SAME serial number from the 1964 era, possibly it was a replaced??? numbered?? gun........;)(y)(y)

Attachments

• 003x bolt face.JPG
    003x bolt face.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 0035 parts.JPG
    0035 parts.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
yes, the top ,tip of the magazines back in that era were often heat treated and in the white , same by Colt, as well as High Standard....gotta be careful when buying magazines that "supposedly" are early ones ,as they are often "faked" and can get a higher price, as they are more valuable....caveat emptor baby........:rolleyes:;)

MCM0866

Bearcat
Nice , early , actually the second batch ,starting at serial number 2000, but that being said the emblem ( a two piece set up is missing and the bolt is a later one, with the recoil spring support and is two tone, partially blued at the rear of the bolt,,,early ones were NOT, they were all in the white ( see below).... as well as your one magazine is two tone, (white at the top)so this detracts from the real value as to being "original"......those parts are quite costly and hard to find to make your gun "whole" again, but never know, the parts are out there...at least with the newer bolt it is safer to shoot, use.......I'd value it around the $450-550 mark "as is" if corrected it would e worth more, at least another $250-300.... a nice one, my wife has serial number 2720 , from that same time era frame as well as a "newer" made one with the SAME serial number from the 1964 era, possibly it was a replaced??? numbered?? gun........;)(y)(y)
Thanks for all the great info!

rock 22

Single-Sixer
yes, the top ,tip of the magazines back in that era were often heat treated and in the white , same by Colt, as well as High Standard....gotta be careful when buying magazines that "supposedly" are early ones ,as they are often "faked" and can get a higher price, as they are more valuable....caveat emptor baby........:rolleyes:;)
How do you tell the difference?

well a very good starter is pictured in Chad Hiddlesons' Encyclopedia of Ruger of Ruger SemiAuto Rimfire Pistols1949-1992 (my end binding says 1991) thats another story.....page 23, shows the progression of the magazines used back then, and to make it short, the early ones have cruder bottom pieces, the plating is NOT as shiny, the front where it meets the magazine body has a "notch" ( divot), the hole in the single sided slot is more oval ,NOT perfectly round, and then to my eyes, they are just a bit " cruder" in their construction compared to later ones, you can and will see the differences, takes time guess I've probably handle a few HUNDRED thousand of them in all these years since we started shooting them in the 1957 era ,,MY first Ruger handgun we shot was a tri color lightweight one of the guys at the Boy Scout camp we first shot at in New York. Lake Chautauqua, Camp Merz, then a Korean War vintage RST-4 with the two piece bolt, both shot like a dream...........ah yes, memories:cool::rolleyes:;)