Ruger vaquero firing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mikegelso

Bearcat
Hey guys I have a question about becoming more efficient at firing the Vaquero. I recently picked one up and love it. I have been watching videos of guys who are very accurate but can shoot with some speed. I am wondering how to work the hammer better. Do the guys cock the hammer then pull the trigger or are they thumbing the hammer while keeping the trigger depressed? Any help would be great thanks.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Hey' welcome to the forum, I would say for the gun's sake "cock & fire" just like that.

Mikegelso

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. Yea I have even watching a lot of cowboy action on YouTube and I cannot tell with some of the faster guys.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Mikegelso said:
Hey guys I have a question about becoming more efficient at firing the Vaquero. I recently picked one up and love it. I have been watching videos of guys who are very accurate but can shoot with some speed. I am wondering how to work the hammer better. Do the guys cock the hammer then pull the trigger or are they thumbing the hammer while keeping the trigger depressed? Any help would be great thanks.

YES and YES ................. alot of people can slip hammer super fast and with good accuratcy too boot .

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I shoot with a lot of very fast cowboy shooters. (I am not one of them, fast that is.)

Every fast shooter I know pulls the trigger for every shot. It may not look like it, it may look like they are holding the trigger back and just pulling the hammer back and letting it go, but that is not the case. At least not with the guys I shoot with. They are very, very good at pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger for every shot.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
There is ton of good infor in here . You can spend hours in this post . 3/4 way down is different ways to shoot pistols

http://www.jspublications.net/vids/index.html

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
That's Doc Shapiro. He lives in California now but I shot with him once in Maryland before he moved west. Very nice guy. If you watch carefully when he does the slow motion stuff you will see he is cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger for each shot.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Driftwood Johnson said:
Howdy

I shoot with a lot of very fast cowboy shooters. (I am not one of them, fast that is.)

Every fast shooter I know pulls the trigger for every shot. It may not look like it, it may look like they are holding the trigger back and just pulling the hammer back and letting it go, but that is not the case. At least not with the guys I shoot with. They are very, very good at pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger for every shot.

I disagree with you . I've shot with a lot of the top shooter in Az , Ca and Tn and a lot slip hammer on different stages , not every stage . Here is a video which is slow down , it show a good time to slip hammer .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NE6btH_9GY

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Disagree if you want, most of the fast shooters in these parts pull the trigger for every shot. The only exception is for a speed dump on a really big, close target. That's when some of them will slip fire. Even then, the majority pull the trigger for every shot. Most do not want to change their technique for one type of target. That's the way it's done in these parts anyway.

OK OP,
It all depends on the load ,muzzle filp and what you are trying to hit.
Yea I shoot with some WORLD CLASS shootrers and they do it both ways. Slip and pull.
Just depends on what YOU are wanting to do. Just start with cocking with your off thumb and go from there.
On a BIG CLOSE target I slip the rest of the time I pull. I do pretty good at both ways.
Jim

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I like drawing from holster and I find dry firing helps alot , I use snap caps in all my gun and yes I know there is no need for them in most guns . My rifle I take the rim off 1 side so extactor won't pick it up . I feel most stage are won with shotgun which is my weak point . I have 4 ranges within 15 miles of my house and not one of them will let speed shooting :evil: :evil: :evil:

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
the best way to get better is to start off with very light loads and just work your way up to the load that you want to shoot in competion. This is just my opnion but everyones got to start somewhere.

Also at first go for accuracy and NOT speed the speed will come in time. If you try to get to fast to soon espesially if you start the habit f slipping the hammer you might wind up missing some toes!

Tx gun runner said:
I like drawing from holster and I find dry firing helps alot , I use snap caps in all my gun and yes I know there is no need for them in most guns . My rifle I take the rim off 1 side so extactor won't pick it up . I feel most stage are won with shotgun which is my weak point . I have 4 ranges within 15 miles of my house and not one of them will let speed shooting :evil: :evil: :evil:

So TGR<
What CAS clubs have you shot at since you have been in Texas, I keep looking for you, but no luck so far.
Try and make Tin Star the 27-29 if you can.
Be sure and make the Ruger Feast in F'Burg on the 5-12. Love to meet ya.
Yep the match is won with the Shotgun in most cases between the fast Guys.
My time with the double starting at port arms and moving about 5' bewteen 2 shots is 8.35 Sec. with BP and 6 rounds. Not quite good enough but not bad. Came in 2nd at last big match.
Jim

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I haven't shot a match since I moved to Tx going on 2 yrs . I missed you 2 time at Fredsricksburg and Ft Parker 8 months ago . I've never seen a pic of you to ID you and your not riding that girlly bike ..... I when to 10 matches here but don't shoot . The sun and Tx heat gets to me and around 11AM I must be in a AC . Remember we over 100 degrees for over 110 days last year and my COPD is super bad where walking is a big deal anymore .

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Wyandot Jim said:
BlackEagle said:
If ya shoot gunfighter style ya don't need to worry about all that... 8)

Yep fer sure, but it sure will make your brain hurt on some stages :cry: :cry: Don't ask how I know :wink:

Yep, one miss can really mess up your plans when shooting gunfighter. By the time I realize I missed I probably already shot the next target(or four)... :lol:

Tx gun runner said:
I haven't shot a match since I moved to Tx going on 2 yrs . I missed you 2 time at Fredsricksburg and Ft Parker 8 months ago . I've never seen a pic of you to ID you and your not riding that girlly bike ..... I when to 10 matches here but don't shoot . The sun and Tx heat gets to me and around 11AM I must be in a AC . Remember we over 100 degrees for over 110 days last year and my COPD is super bad where walking is a big deal anymore .

Well TGR. With my reputation ya can ask just about anyone and they know who I am :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Come to Tin Star. It is a REAL nice range and great folks there. Just don't believe what they say about me. They all Lie :wink: