Ruger's CEO re Mini 30 Mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I don't own an AK to know if this was even feasible, but would it have been possible to design the gun from the outset to use AK magazines?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Instead of manufacturing a rare and expensive mag for the mini 30, it would be smart of Ruger to adapt the 30's mag well to accept AK mags, they are cheap and everywhere, in 5, 20, 30 and 40 rounds. It wouldnt take much of a change either, they are both rocker type mags.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
deadduck357 said:
...it would be smart of Ruger to adapt the 30's mag well to accept AK mags...they are both rocker type mags.
That's what I was thinking. Unlike the AR mags for the Mini-14.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
MAC702":1ke0steh said:
deadduck357":1ke0steh said:
...it would be smart of Ruger to adapt the 30's mag well to accept AK mags...they are both rocker type mags.
That's what I was thinking. Unlike the AR mags for the Mini-14.

Ruger are you listening

It doesn't seem like the way to go now...

when they first started manufacturing both minis it would have been practical... and would not have effected their bottom line I don't think... because all they sold (to the public) was 5 round mags that came with the rifles.... but then I think Bill Ruger and his folks didn't really want the minis perceived as evil black assault rifles... but they lost on this one it seems..... too many aftermarket manufacturers figured out how to make them so.

Now there are millions of mini's out there... most folks have already gone out and bought aftermarket high capacity mags that sort of kind of work and it is obvious their is a market for good ones and enough of us will pay out the rear for them.... I for sure would buy 2 - 4 20 round mini-30 factory mags. I think 20 rounds is a good way to go with the mini-30... them dern bullets are heavy compared to .223

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I would be more then happy to buck up the money to ruger for a half a dozen good 20 rounders, Rummor i heard was c products was making them for ruger.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
C-Products makes good stuff... I have 5 of their 30-round mags for my Mini-14 and they all work very reliably...never had a stoppage of any sort with them.

DGW1949

Hunter
The AK mag is too massive for the Ruger Mini. It may have been doable, if the gun was designed around it from the get-go.....but after a gazillion rifles have already been sold?.... Nope, that sort of major rework aint going to happen.

DGW

welder

Buckeye
DonD":l80twkhu said:
Lloyd Smale":l80twkhu said:
I would be more then happy to buck up the money to ruger for a half a dozen good 20 rounders, Rummor i heard was c products was making them for ruger.

I'm not suggesting that you are wrong Lloyd. I did call C Products about a year ago and they said that they didn't have anything in the works. Much could have changed since then. Don

I e-mailed C-mags myself a few months ago and got a reply that said production "would start last quarter of 09" on the mini-30 mags. Also saw this posted on Glock talk.

K4AA

Bearcat
Ruger 30 round mags are available on the Ruger store on the website.

ruger1963

Bearcat
K4AA":2ai28j0i said:
Ruger 30 round mags are available on the Ruger store on the website.

They're talking about magazines for a Mini 30 rifle, not 30 round mags for a Mini 14.

All Ruger makes for now are factory 5 rounders for their Mini 30 rifle. Those of us who own them are hopeful that the rumor's true and they will begin selling higher capacity mags for the Mini 30.