Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
For those interested, shot with Nikon D5100, Tamron 150-600 MM lens at 500 MM. F8 1/250 second. Optical Stabilization on.

Sharp-shins are really beautiful and those pix are spectacular.

Not common in SouCal--they don't seem to put up with humans as well as their larger cousin the Cooper's Hawk.

I once had an Idaho Sharp-shin land on a California quail that I'd just shot, which had fallen in the top of a big wild rose bush/tree. The little hawk just looked at me and my retriever like "Wanna fight me for it?" I didn't. Left him to his lunch and found me another covey.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Mike, great story... I think I would have let him have it too.

I'm amazed at their eyes. Love the color.

They are truly beautiful creatures.

gramps

Hawkeye
I have either a sharp shinned or a Cooper's hawk that hangs around my farm. I saw whatever it is take off with a baby rabbit or a rat a couple weeks ago. Good pictures of a beautiful bird.
gramps

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Huhwhat? said:
How big was it. My first reaction, based on the light neck feathers, and the rounded tail feathers is Cooper's hawk.

http://www.audubon.org/news/a-beginners-guide-iding-coopers-and-sharp-shinned-hawks
If it was a Cooper's hawk, it was a small one. He's hung around our neighborhood for a couple years. Dined well on dove the other day and nailed several birds at the bird feeder over the winter. He (or she) is not a large bird. Sleek, nimble and lies in and out of the trees in the back yard like an acrobat especially when it does a fly by and flushes birds during the winter. The doves take off and this little hawk picks one, flies among the trees. Sometimes he's successful and sometimes not. Usually it's a sneak attack, flies over the peak of the house, swoops down and nails a dove or some other bird before the meal to be even knows what hits it.

Again could be a cooper's but if it is, it is not a very big one.

Latest posts