Single Six “D” serial number ? Update 1/3/2024-

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I found a Single Six- actually a Super Single Six for sale. It has an interesting serial number. D553553. Now from my novice research, this should not be a "D" serial number. I called Linda at Ruger, she showed no "D" on their transcribed computer database for a Super Single Six. Add to that the "D" seems to be very crudely stamped. The gun is in fair/good condition, but there is no box or paperwork- so as a collector's item there is no real value… but it has caught my interest. Any ideas?

IMG_8508.jpeg

Well, a quick google search revealed a "D" serial Single Six in a serial number close to this one. The picture shows that "D" has the ears like my picture. So maybe it's legit. Again- still wanting your collective thoughts.
IMG_8514.jpeg

chet15

Hawkeye
I found a Single Six- actually a Super Single Six for sale. It has an interesting serial number. D553553. Now from my novice research, this should not be a "D" serial number. I called Linda at Ruger, she showed no "D" on their transcribed computer database for a Super Single Six. Add to that the "D" seems to be very crudely stamped. The gun is in fair/good condition, but there is no box or paperwork- so as a collector's item there is no real value… but it has caught my interest. Any ideas?

What a great find!!! No worries on the "D" and how it looks. There could also be any number of different "D" fonts. I've seen them double stamped like that, incomplete stamp at the top or bottom, or even "D" stamps that were sideways. For the 5,100 D guns that were made in the D50xxxx range I think we figured there are at least four different D's that were used.
I am curious as to what model you have... Does it have adjustable sights? Barrel length??

Last edited:
It's a 5 1/2" barrel with adjustable sights. My biggest concern is that it is well out of the D50xxxx range, and that Ruger had no record of a Super Single Six with that serial number with a "D" prefix. My best guess is that someone stamped the same serial twice, realized their error, and "D" stamped one of them… I really need to catch Linda in the office so she can go back to the paper records and see what she can find. She told me they sometimes when things were transcribed to the computer records things were missed…

contender

Ruger Guru
If the price was fair,, I'd buy it,, and get the letter. Be very specific about the "D" in the request. The deeper research for the letters often reveals stuff not on the computer.

chet15

Hawkeye
It's a 5 1/2" barrel with adjustable sights. My biggest concern is that it is well out of the D50xxxx range, and that Ruger had no record of a Super Single Six with that serial number with a "D" prefix. My best guess is that someone stamped the same serial twice, realized their error, and "D" stamped one of them… I really need to catch Linda in the office so she can go back to the paper records and see what she can find. She told me they sometimes when things were transcribed to the computer records things were missed…

There are plenty of one-off "D" guns in the Single-Six and other model series' as well. In fact, the D50xxxx range are fixed sight guns, duplicated in 1968 without realizing the Ruger first started serial numbering the Super Single-Six in late 1965 at 500000.
10-20 years ago, being a dealer in Ruger firearms, there were three different occasions where our Distributor contacted us to let us know that three guns that we had over a period of time were actually duplicated serial numbers and they needed to be returned so that a "D" could be added to the serial number. All were one-off's.
I bet if Ruger digs a little deeper they will find the info.
Whoever you purchased it from, did they make mention of the "D"?
Chet15

That's very interesting. Leads credibility to the legitimacy of the "D" prefix. I guess I really need to decide if it's worth $500 to me. No box, no paperwork- but with both cylinders and a unique serial number. If it was about $400 I would have already purchased it. I haven't purchased it yet- but I'm leaning towards adding it to my small collection. I guess I've got until Tuesday to decide. Hmm… I don't have a 3 Screw Super Single Six yet…

The seller has no idea- doesn't even know what the "D" designates.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem.
If you were to not buy it,, and someone else did,,, you'd always have it haunting you as "one that got away." I prefer to buy with the knowledge that; "I might pay a little more now,, but later on it'll be here,, and not elsewhere." Or as a good friend once shared; "You never pay too much,, but occasionally you pay too soon." (RIP Ralph Simpson!)

Latest posts