Strange little bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Roper

Bearcat
A friend gave me a bunch of reloading stuff from a friend the other day, He got it from someones wife when her husband past passed. In with all the other stuff were these odd little .308 diameter bullets. I've never seen anything like this before...has anyone else seen these? What the heck are they?

P1010338.jpg

dougader

Hunter
They look a little like the old Speer 100 grain plinkers, but the Speer bullets are round-nosed.

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
I would imagine the copper jacket on the bullet's bearing surfaces would keep lead out of the rifle's gas system, while still being less expensive than a completely jacketed bullet.

Roper

Bearcat
I knew someone here would know, Thanks for the replies.

If anyone has use for them let me know, free, all I need is an address...

Tellico

Buckeye
Don't push these too fast if you get them. I loaded some in my 300 Win mag for practice and after five shots at 100 yds with no hits I discovered they were disintegrating in the air about 40-50 ft from the muzzle. Put a target at 25 yds and had a shotgun pattern. I can't recall the load. :lol:

JohnM

Bearcat
Those are the old Hornady Short Jacket.
They quit making them, but I don't remember when it was.
I used to use a lot of them in 30 caliber stuff as a plinker because they were cheaper than the Speer Plinker.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
JohnM said:
Those are the old Hornady Short Jacket.
They quit making them, but I don't remember when it was.
I used to use a lot of them in 30 caliber stuff as a plinker because they were cheaper than the Speer Plinker.

Hornady shows them on their website and midway lists them in stock.

JohnM

Bearcat
Hm, yes I found that.
Sometime back I tried to buy some more and couldn't find them.
Then found some thing saying they were discontinued, thought it was on the Hornady site.
They've sure gone up since the last ones I bought. :)
A good light duty bullet. But then, I've always like Hornady.

JohnM

Bearcat
I bet they would be good in the BH.
When I got mine I dug through bullets thinking I had a box of those Hornadys left, but didn't.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Those are great in 30 Carbine, been using them for many years and still have a bunch. And they do work good in the Ruger 30 C SA's. I had read Hornady discontinued them, glad to hear they are available again.