Suburb hunt in So. Florida

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Every winter my modest exotic fruit tree stand gets the attention of fruit eating tree rats. Like vexing squirrels in the summer they wouldn't be a problem if they ate the whole fruit but they destroy one fruit by taking a bite and moving on to another and so on. Thankfully even on the darkest night my lab/pit mix dog has this uncanny ability to sniff them out and stand directly below them perched high up in the canopy.

Last night a particularly large furry silver colored (actually quite a handsome well fed devil) rat made the mistake of coming into a Lychee tree and when I went to aim I found both the front and rear sights had gone missing. Luckily the base of both align perfectly with the bore and the first shot took it out of the tree.

Now to gen up a set of sights to replace those that were broken off. fortunately the sight bases are plastic and I can dremel in a pair of Glock FO sights for $10... rat and squirrels beware :)

Suburban style hunting... cowabunga!

contender

Ruger Guru
A pox on such vermin. Eating a man's fruit! :D

I often say that it's not the size of the animal,, or even the species,, but the hunt that's the best part.

My pellet rifle has(had) very basic plastic open sights--basically worthless. After a couple of failed attempts I now have a decent low power scope that allows hits on 'rat sized' vermin at 30-50'. At the longer range not many one shot kills but usually slows them enough to reload and finish the job.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Sorry, it's a cheapo Gamo spring piston .177 pellet. When I lived on a salt water island it killed a bunch of rats. Nowadays maybe a half dozen in the winter.

Mine is a Benjamin NitroPiston and it works quite well especially using flatnose pellets and head shots. I've knocked possums out cold with a perfect head shot but they don't stay down very long.