Super Blackhawk Bisley 5 shot 454 Casull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
Anyone that knows me knows that I really don't get into the New Models, but this one just had to come home with me today. The guys at the shop know me for my Rugers and this one hadn't even made it to the display yet. They pulled it out of the back, and I was filling out the 4473 as fast as they could get me one.

I carry a Custom OM 45 Colt currently as my back country weapon. I've always toyed with a Freedom Arms Casull as finding a Ruger Casull has never seemed a possibility, but I've never been a fan of the Freedom Arms as a back country gun. The one I owed years ago was just too well built and would bind up with just a little bit of dirt in the wrong spot.

For now, this one will most likely see Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P as that is what I currently one a bunch of so no need to spend money on the 454 rounds.....YET.

1711229691569.png

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Because my spelling sucks, especially on a Saturday evening a couple of tall ones in...........
Have another and you won't care!!!

I'm going in to get some "Black Bush" on the rocks, a venison patty, salad and baked potato with mushroom gravy soon, so I'll be joining you!

Enjoy!!!

Doc_Holidude

Bearcat
Nice grab. Can't blame you a bit for the hasty paperwork! Would love one like that in my little collection. 😎👍

contender

Ruger Guru
"Ruger should remove these from their website."

Due to the covid crap,, a lot of models haven't been in production for a while. But Ruger is slowly trying to get back up to speed with all their models. Have patience.

Heck,, the latest RENE has a great breakdown on the number of many models that were shipped over the last few years. It's painfully obvious of how few they were able to ship of many of their guns during this crap. But things are on the upswing.

Those are nice guns. I had one of those but let it get away from me. For me personally the similar Bisley in 5-1/2" 45 Colt does anything I would need. That would be using the Buffalo Bore 45Colt 325 IIRC. I talked to Tim Sundles about it years ago and we both had come to the same conclusion. I also had a few of those go through my hands. For me the plow handle just points more naturally for me, and in Alaska the first round hitting the target is pretty important.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I would love to have that revolver. Thinking about getting one and then I think again about when I shoot my Super Blackhawk 44 Mag and think that it is about all the recoil I want. So now I am thinking probably not. That is a Beauty, enjoy it.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I suggest look for somebody that has 44 Magnum Bisley, get a box of factory ammo (nobody will let you shoot your reloads in his/her revolvers) and ask if you can try side by side few rounds from Bisley and few from you SBH. Chances are 90% that recoil from Bisley will be easier on you hands than from SBH.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Anyone that knows me knows that I really don't get into the New Models, but this one just had to come home with me today. The guys at the shop know me for my Rugers and this one hadn't even made it to the display yet. They pulled it out of the back, and I was filling out the 4473 as fast as they could get me one.

I carry a Custom OM 45 Colt currently as my back country weapon. I've always toyed with a Freedom Arms Casull as finding a Ruger Casull has never seemed a possibility, but I've never been a fan of the Freedom Arms as a back country gun. The one I owed years ago was just too well built and would bind up with just a little bit of dirt in the wrong spot.

For now, this one will most likely see Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P as that is what I currently one a bunch of so no need to spend money on the 454 rounds.....YET.

View attachment 42468
This picture looks like a Flattop and not a full bore regular .45 Ruger Colt. I have one, and mine is a convertible, which means I have a spare cylinder for it that allows me to shoot .45 ACP rounds as well. So, if yours is really a flattop, DO NOT shoot the top 3 Buffalo Bore +P ammo, and the Buffalo Bore website shows explicit comments about this. The+P four loads (non SAMI authorized) are the following: (1) BB model 3B with an fps of 1,325 with a bullet of 300 gr that delivers 1,169 ft. lbs. (2) BB mode 3C that has a fps of 1,450 with a bullet of 260 gr, that delivers 1,214 ft. lbs. (3) BB model 3A that has a fps of 1,325 with a 325 gr bullet that delivers 1,267 ft. lbs. (4) BB model DEER GRENADE with an FPS of 1,500-1,526 and a bullet of 260 gr that delivers 1,299-1,344 ft; lbs. This .45LC latter round comes fairly close to the max .44 Mag load (BB model 4D which delivers 1,533 ft. lbs.)

If you care to see all this info, just message me here with your email address and I will send you my free PDF ballistics file that covers not only .45LC, but also another 34 handgun calibers as well as 25 rifle ones. There are 2,500 entries in this file, where each entry has a link to an online retailer that sells that specific ammo.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Those are nice guns. I had one of those but let it get away from me. For me personally the similar Bisley in 5-1/2" 45 Colt does anything I would need. That would be using the Buffalo Bore 45Colt 325 IIRC. I talked to Tim Sundles about it years ago and we both had come to the same conclusion. I also had a few of those go through my hands. For me the plow handle just points more naturally for me, and in Alaska the first round hitting the target is pretty important.

s4s4u

Hunter
I suggest look for somebody that has 44 Magnum Bisley, get a box of factory ammo (nobody will let you shoot your reloads in his/her revolvers) and ask if you can try side by side few rounds from Bisley and few from you SBH. Chances are 90% that recoil from Bisley will be easier on you hands than from SBH.

The grip makes a world of difference. You don't let a magnum "roll", you hold on to it and the Bisley is just better at that.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
This picture looks like a Flattop and not a full bore regular .45 Ruger Colt. I have one, and mine is a convertible, which means I have a spare cylinder for it that allows me to shoot .45 ACP rounds as well. So, if yours is really a flattop, DO NOT shoot the top 3 Buffalo Bore +P ammo, and the Buffalo Bore website shows explicit comments about this. The+P four loads (non SAMI authorized) are the following: (1) BB model 3B with an fps of 1,325 with a bullet of 300 gr that delivers 1,169 ft. lbs. (2) BB mode 3C that has a fps of 1,450 with a bullet of 260 gr, that delivers 1,214 ft. lbs. (3) BB model 3A that has a fps of 1,325 with a 325 gr bullet that delivers 1,267 ft. lbs. (4) BB model DEER GRENADE with an FPS of 1,500-1,526 and a bullet of 260 gr that delivers 1,299-1,344 ft; lbs. This .45LC latter round comes fairly close to the max .44 Mag load (BB model 4D which delivers 1,533 ft. lbs.)

If you care to see all this info, just message me here with your email address and I will send you my free PDF ballistics file that covers not only .45LC, but also another 34 handgun calibers as well as 25 rifle ones. There are 2,500 entries in this file, where each entry has a link to an online retailer that sells that specific ammo.
The picture is a 454 Casull. It will handle anything Buffalo Bore puts out in 45Colt and much more.

If you really like the Bisley grip frame but have big hands, try a RWGripframes "Bradshaw Bisley". About 3/16" more room between the trigger guard and your knuckles. However, the brass grip frame adds more weight to an already heavy gun.
IMG_7057.jpeg

Latest posts