the green site charging sales tax?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin said:
All websites are supposed to charge sales tax now, regardless of if it's in state or out of state.

That's why I stopped selling online, collecting sales tax and handling it became cost prohibitive(don't get me started on labeling when shipping to CA)...FWIW, businesses do not charge sales tax, they collect it for the government.

hittman

Staff member
Captain America said:
businesses do not charge sales tax, they collect it for the government.

THIS! Finally somebody gets it!

Don't punish the business owner for acting as the governments collection agency, they're required by law to do it!

bobski said:
so they caved and did it, huh?
they followed ebays model.
any of you get burnt by that yet?

I assume you mean gunbroker.. They didn't cave, they are following the law. I'm actually surprised they are ot doing it for every State with a sales tax. There must be a wrinkle/loop hole in the law

The reality is legally if you 'used' to buy stuff from out of state and had it mailed or shipped to you and the company you bought it from did not charge you for your state's sales tax then you were supposed to pay that tax directly to the state if not before then when you filed your state's income tax.

Dan in MI

Staff member
blume357 said:
The reality is legally if you 'used' to buy stuff from out of state and had it mailed or shipped to you and the company you bought it from did not charge you for your state's sales tax then you were supposed to pay that tax directly to the state if not before then when you filed your state's income tax.

This^

States have just started enforcing it more and more. On line makes it easy for them.

Years ago (1992?) MI started enforcing out of state purchases. They went for low hanging fruit first. Dr's, dentists and medical offices. They all bought out of state and got hammered. Then the state just started rolling down the line to any licensed business. I had an FFL and they sent me note saying I owed them for any out of state purchases. Since I was collecting and paying sales tax it was no issue when I called, but it showed hey were just going down the license list. It took about ten years before they started advertising that people should be paying tax on out of state purchases. They didn't push until a couple years ago and hit on line sales.

NikA

Buckeye
I was surprised that GunBroker's roll out was fairly limited. I think only 8 or so states required them to collect sales tax.

IIRC, the recent ruling was that businesses conducting more than 100k in business in a given state had to collect sales tax, whether or not they were a forum for 3rd party sellers or a direct merchant. The biggies (eBay and Amazon) did so almost immediately; others will be following suit as the states work their way down the list.

For GB and other sites peddling used goods, it really makes a VAT model attractive. One time tax instead of recurring tax at every transaction.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Gunbroker is adding 36 more states starting April 1. It has to do with states passing what is called " marketplace facilitator" laws which focuses on websites that facilitate and account transactions like eBay, Wayfair, Amazon,etc. and now Gunbroker. If you read these laws in most states small businesses are exempt unless you have $100,000 in sales or 200 transactions per year into a state. But if you go through one of the "facilitator" websites they are required now to collect tax. Below is copied from Gunbroker.

The GunBroker.com MPF States

On April 1, 2021, GunBroker.com will be adding to the list of MPF states. In addition to the original 8 states (in Red and Bold) GunBroker.com will collect and remit sales tax for an additional 36 states based on the address where the item is delivered (Ship To address).

Complete list:
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana

Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma

Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

bobski

Hunter
so some sites are toying with vat now? must all sites collect or is it just big sites? I know some that don't at all.
heck, va just passed law where there arent any more person to person in state allowed unless it goes thru a ffl...for tax reasons.
sounds like gun sales on line are getting too expense.
whats left? ads only?
fyi...haven't bought or sold on greenie weenie in years.
looks like never now.

gunzo

Hunter
In all my time spent on the internet, too much maybe, & 98% of it on gun forums, & I've never heard of or read about the green site, much less greenie weenie.

Is this a Jeopardy thread?

NikA

Buckeye
At this point 'bobski' is clearly talking about GunBroker. Several respondants were able to deduce that and provide information in reply.

Posters unwillingness to provide a direct response to that question is less about them being impolite and more about the answer being evident unless one doesn't care to read the responses or is a bit thick.

This response is at least direct and quite possibly a bit impolite, but I personally can live with that.

Everyone caught up with the rest of the class?

NikA

Buckeye
I haven't heard of any sites toying with VAT, unless they are selling in a location where VAT is collected, in which case they are likely required to collect it.

Sales tax is the law of the land. Sites are complying with the law. To suggest that they do otherwise is condoning tax evasion. Ignorance is not and has never been an excuse for unlawful behavior.

I mentioned VAT merely because the way it is applied would suggest that goods available on the secondary market would not have an arbitrary amount of tax added to them each time a transaction occurred. Just a single taxable event at the point the "value" is "added" to the product, most likely collected in the original commercial sale.

caryc

Hawkeye
golferboy426 said:
caryc said:
powder smoke said:
May I ask? What is the green site? ps

Notice that no one had the courtesy to answer your question? I would like to hear an answer myself.

I suspect the green site is gunbroker That's why 2 of of posted GB info...their screen are based in green color

"I suspect the green site is gunbroker", Does not answer the question. No one confirmed that. I don't go to gunbroker so I would have no way of knowing that. Apparently some other people don't either.

NikA

Buckeye
bobski's second post in the thread indicated that he felt the GunBroker answers were in line with what he was looking for.

What's not clear is whether there's a reading comprehension problem or ...?

Xsales

Buckeye
powder smoke said:
May I ask? What is the green site? ps

I never have known the green site is or was Gun Broker
I guess we all must take a course on mind reading

Still don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts