Gun Site

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Many people are (rightly so) a bit leery of any new internet gun company. In this day & age of so many scams, scammers, outright thieves etc,, it pays to be cautious.

Often, one red flag is that payments be made via a form of electronic transfer. Apparently,, this new place allows credit cards.

But I see the following; "launched in November of 2023 with gun clubs in MA, NC, and FL." and I wonder; Where in these places?

Then I see; "using our escrow at a registered bank in Arkansas" and I wonder; Why no stores in Arkansas?

And another oddity. "We in fact take credit card and also ACH using checkbook.io. They are a real fintech company in Foster City, CA in Silicon Valley."

Business in a very anti-gun state like Ca?

Lastly,, I see the company joined here today, and has (7) posts,, and all of them are in this thread.

Now,, I'm NOT saying it's not a legitimate company or anything like that. But due to the amount of scammers,, and the fact we often preach; "Use well known & trusted members" when doing internet deals.
And we like to see a business with a store front and direct PHONE contact info. I will FREELY admit that I have NOT looked at the website or anything,, so I'm JUST using info posted in this thread.

If it's legit,, then I wish them the best of luck!

All great points and valid concerns.Thank you for your input. Sorry this is long...

I agree with you... the internet is filled with scammers and I personally hate scammers. That's why I started this company. Now, I know nothing I say here will provide all the trust needed for someone to check out the site. But, I'm hoping this thread and others we participate in for the future can at least start with a small bit of interest in what we are doing.

Some might take a chance on us and post for sale or potentially purchase a pre-owned firearm. Others will not want anything to do with us. And that's okay. We are not for everyone. If you feel comfortable doing a transaction however you do/have done in the past, then by all means, continue on your path. But, if someone ever sees a situation where we can be of service, I hope we can help in any way to provide a secure transaction.

It might sound cliche but our mission is to reduce the number of guns available to criminals by creating a place where law-abiding gun owners buy and sell with confidence and ease.

Our first presentation was to the Ashville Rifle and Pistol Club in Ashville NC. We also presented to Medfield Sportsmans Club, Westford Sportsmans Club, and have future dates with Tyngsboro Sportsmans Club, all in MA. Lastly, we are arranging a date with Weston Shooters Club in MA and their sister club Founder's Club in Fort Lauderdale FL in the future to present to their members and explain our services. Like it was mentioned above, there are so many scammers that it is good to get out there and present in person to different groups to build a sense of credibility and trust.

Also, our bank where Buyer's money is held in escrow is a regional bank in Alabama, United Bank of Atmore. We are not a brick-and-mortar store currently. We have considered it for the future but it is a different business model heavy in capital because of assets needed for a store. We are a SaaS, Software as a Service, that provides secure transactions and logistical support with our FFL contract with UPS to provide pre-paid labels to the Seller to send to the Buyer's FFL that we verify using ATF FFL EZCheck.

Lastly, yes, Checkbook.io is located in California but they love our mission of providing a service to an underserved community while reducing the number of guns available to criminals. I presented to them over zoom and basically stated that Silicon Valley is complicit in creating a black market by not providing services that make for safe transactions. They found me credible because of my ATF background and my knowledge of the laws.

This is too long but hope it provides some insight into what we are doing. We would love to engage more with gun owners to make our site better. If you or others feel inclined, please let us know what you think by emailing [email protected]! Thank you!

contender

Ruger Guru
A very concise reply.

I'm very familiar with the Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club. I know several members there.

By the repeated replies here,, and engagement in our Forum,, that may well become a place that some people may choose to use.
And as I mentioned,, I do wish you luck if it's all legit.

I will also point out an observation I've witnessed over the decades of hanging around "gun folks." You have brought up your ATF background as a means of validating yourself. All well & good.
However,, many, many, many gun folks have come to distrust the ATF due to the many ANTI-GUN practices that the ATF has used to harass gun owners, close down small FFL's, failures to actually prosecute criminals when proof is given of a crime, (let's use the Hunter Biden lying on the 4473 to purchase a gun as an example,) & many other practices honest gun owners have endured.
This thread is NOT political,, nor do I want it to go that direction. I'm just pointing out the distrust of the ATF that many gun owners now have due to the history of how the ATF has been run.
Your admitted association or employment in the ATF may be an actual turn-off to many due to the distrust.

All of us here on this Forum that have been members for a long time,, are law abiding, honest people. The very few scammers or otherwise unsavory types have never lasted very long here. And yet, even in this group,, you will find a lot of them are very cautious of any new venture or such like this. We are not against enforcing laws, and ALL wish that criminals be stopped from illegally using firearms.

So if I understand the service this company is offering correctly,, it's to be a "trusted middle man" in firearm transactions where the two parties do not know each other or are from different states. And that trust is to be backed by a guarantee of each party getting what they desire. A buyer getting a gun, and the seller getting paid.

Interesting concept.

v35

Bearcat
Hello, new here. I see someone posted our site www.trustedgunexchange.com here. I can answer questions about the site. Please fire away if you have questions.

Welcome. If I may make a suggestion, honest people and honest businesses use real names. They do not fear the truth. They have no desire to obscure themselves.

I do not use my real name when posting to internet forums like this one, but I'm not using it to run a business. I have a business. For it, I use my real name, real phone numbers, real addresses.

You may also run afoul of attempting to leverage this website (which surely costs money) to advance your business without having to pay for it. That's a question for the site administrators though.

Best wishes.

A very concise reply.

I'm very familiar with the Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club. I know several members there.

By the repeated replies here,, and engagement in our Forum,, that may well become a place that some people may choose to use.

I will also point out an observation I've witnessed over the decades of hanging around "gun folks." You have brought up your ATF background as a means of validating yourself. All well & good.
However,, many, many, many gun folks have come to distrust the ATF due to the many ANTI-GUN practices that the ATF has used to harass gun owners, close down small FFL's, failures to actually prosecute criminals when proof is given of a crime, (let's use the Hunter Biden lying on the 4473 to purchase a gun as an example,) & many other practices honest gun owners have endured.
This thread is NOT political,, nor do I want it to go that direction. I'm just pointing out the distrust of the ATF that many gun owners now have due to the history of how the ATF has been run.
Your admitted association or employment in the ATF may be an actual turn-off to many due to the distrust.

All of us here on this Forum that have been members for a long time,, are law abiding, honest people. The very few scammers or otherwise unsavory types have never lasted very long here. And yet, even in this group,, you will find a lot of them are very cautious of any new venture or such like this. We are not against enforcing laws, and ALL wish that criminals be stopped from illegally using firearms.

So if I understand the service this company is offering correctly,, it's to be a "trusted middle man" in firearm transactions where the two parties do not know each other or are from different states. And that trust is to be backed by a guarantee of each party getting what they desire. A buyer getting a gun, and the seller getting paid.

Interesting concept.
Your points are all welcome and taken positively.

These are all things I have thought about over the past two years as I built up to this point. I know, regardless of my well intended acts of providing risk-free gun transactions between unknown parties in different states, that there will be a number of gun owners who will not use the site because of the mere mention of my background. And that's okay.

My hope is to appeal to the ones who are looking to gain the most value for their gun in a sale and not have to worry about scammers if they are a buyer.

Again, appreciate all the feedback and engagement. It is a legit site and I'm hoping these messages help to realize it.

Thank you.

Welcome. If I may make a suggestion, honest people and honest businesses use real names. They do not fear the truth. They have no desire to obscure themselves.

I do not use my real name when posting to internet forums like this one, but I'm not using it to run a business. I have a business. For it, I use my real name, real phone numbers, real addresses.

You may also run afoul of attempting to leverage this website (which surely costs money) to advance your business without having to pay for it. That's a question for the site administrators though.

Best wishes.
Thank you for your message. Upon looking at all of the rules before posting anything, I did not see information or guidance for commercial businesses. I will gladly follow all the rules of the forum.

My name is Ken Kwak. Our business number is 617-299-9692 and our business address is 1049 Elm Street, #320, Manchester NH 03101, United States.

Appreciate you pointing it out. Apologies for not having it listed beforehand! Thank you.

Ken.

A very concise reply.

Interesting concept.
One last thing, on a personal note, if I can just add, there are many people like myself who work for the ATF, who are gun owners and respect and appreciate the second amendment and what it stands for.

Unfortunately, ATF is not run by its leaders anymore. My personal opinion, now that I have retired, and no longer held back by a veil of confidentiality, or retaliation is that ATF is run by the Department of Justice and the executive branch. When it comes to the policies you spoke about in your previous post, those are all directed by DOJ and their boss, the president.

But enough about politics. I'm glad I've moved onto greener pastures and hope to serve gun owners by providing what I've spoken of before.

No disrespect to anyone here, these are just my personal opinions. No more politics for me. Thank you.

RD18

Single-Sixer
I am the one that started this post to see who may have heard of trusted gun exchange. I must tell you I have met with them and listed a couple of guns. They are very professional and its a super secure site. I am very pleased with how they represent themselves. Check it out. I also wish them lots of luck.

What did folks say when Gunbroker, Guns America, Guns International, etc. started selling guns on line.

Someone was the first to sell and someone was the first to buy through the aforementioned websites.

If you would like to work together to sponsor this site with a banner and reach this community, please let me know. We have a vendor program setup.
Hello, yes, I am interested in doing this. I could not find any information on how to do this yesterday. I started here because one of our users asked a question to the community in January and I noticied it for the first time. Please advise on how I should proceed. Thank you!

Ken.

I am the one that started this post to see who may have heard of trusted gun exchange. I must tell you I have met with them and listed a couple of guns. They are very professional and its a super secure site. I am very pleased with how they represent themselves. Check it out. I also wish them lots of luck.
Appreciate your words and hope we can get your items sold! If anyone is interested in the items, here they are listed at www.trustedgunexchange.com. Thank you!

First off, Dave P, thank you very much for your comments and questions! Sorry for the long answer but your questions dove into our process and I want to make sure we provide as much transparency and information as possible for you and others reading this post to feel comfortable.

We are experimenting with the fee structure and are starting with 10% because it is 8% to 15% less than a consignment fee at a gun store. I know in New England, gun stores will charge between 18-25% for consignment, you leave the gun with them and they sell it while charging you that amount. Of course, the other option is to sell it to them outright for anywhere between $0.30-0.40 cents on the dollar. That could mean $300-400 for your $1,000.00 gun, which they will gladly put it on their shelf for $800-900 after logging it into their A&D Book. Nothing against them, I love my LGS. That's just the way the current system works.

Now comes TrustedGunExchange.com... list your gun for $750-900, depending on the condition, a Buyer wants it and provides us money into our bank escrow for the amount of the firearm and shipping, we provide you as the Seller the pre-paid label along with all the paperwork needed for the gun store to log into their A&D Book, and ensure the label is only issued to be delivered to the Buyer's chosen active FFL that we've verified with ATF FFL EZCheck.

The Buyer pays for the shipping which is in line with customary transactions with other online sites. We have discounted shipping rates with UPS and want to transfer those savings to Users. The Seller must drop off at a UPS Customer Center and no other UPS location. Regular UPS Stores will NOT take transfer of a firearm. This can only be done at the UPS Customer Center.

I like the scenario you posted above... you post your gun for $1,000.00, Buyer in BFE pays the $1,000.00 + Shipping to their licensed LGS, and we provide you the shipping label and paperwork to include in the box. We suggest shipping the rifle in a plastic rifle box in a cardboard box. You ship and it arrives next day to the Buyer's gun store. The Buyer comes in to pick it up within 6 business days of it arriving and goes through the FBI NICS criminal history check and ATF 4473 paperwork. The Buyer passes the check and views the gun and finds that it is "as advertised" and takes possession of the firearm and leaves the store. Funds in escrow are released on the 7th business day to the Seller via ACH direct deposit using Checkbook.io which takes 2 business days, or physical check which takes up to 7 business days. If there is no dispute of the received firearm within above mentioned 6th business days, the money is automatically released using the two mentioned payment times.

If the firearm arrives and it is "not as advertised," i.e. different make, model, serial number, has a large scratch not shown in photos or described or a combination thereof, then the Buyer does not take possession of the firearm, and immediately initiates a dispute with us. They must furnish photos and a description supporting why the firearm is not as advertised for our arbitration process. We will review all documentation, along with information and photos provided when the item was published for sale, and make a determination based on the information we possess within a 30 day period.

If the firearm is found to be "as advertised" and all the nics, scratches, information from the firearm, and whatever the circumstances might be matches all the photos and description originally provided when the firearm was posted for sale, and it is received in the same condition, then the Seller will receive the money as the payout to conclude the transaction.

If the firearm after review during the arbitration process is found to be "not as advertised," then the Buyer get's 100% money back. The Seller has the option to abandon the firearm to the FFL currently in possession of the firearm or to pay for the shipping label for the firearm to be shipped to their FFL where they would have to go through the FBI NICS and ATF 4473 process to receive their firearm back. After the 30 day arbitration process is complete, and the Seller refuses to pay for the firearm to be shipped back to their FFL to be returned to them, then the Seller will be charged $10/day for administrative and storage fees until the Seller pays the shipping label for the return to their FFL. This scenario describes the most extreme circumstances and although it is weighed heavily against the Seller, it is built this way to deter a Seller from shipping a firearm that is different than what was advertised.

Hopefully these answer your scenario based question!

This business will be about scale. Also in the near future, we will build out the ability for FFLs to post firearms they would like to sell with us for approximately 6% fee per transaction.

By us making it easy for buyers and sellers with a guaranteed result, can we disrupt how guns are bought and sold? Can we make it easier and more secure? Can we become the industry standard for those who want the best value for their item and keep the money in their own pockets and for the buyer they get a money-back guarantee? All questions that we are trying to answer and we're hoping to get a dinner on you! LOL ... btw, I like my ribeye medium rare! LOL

Sorry it was so wordy. Thanks.
Ken.

I just read this thread and THINK it's a legit operation just getting started. Unfortunately while it's a "cool' concept I'd go so far
as saying if you want to use it maybe take advantage pretty quickly. Unless it's owners have access to PFM ( pure ******* magic )
or it's strictly a hobby venture, there's no way it's making it on the stated 10 percent margins. Didn't read deep enough to see who
pays the shipping costs, is that covered in the 10 percent seller's fee or an addition?? Now if they become a dealer also, with sales
margins on their own offered products.... then maybe.
Sorry Ken, prove me wrong in about 3 years and I'll buy you guy's a good dinner somewhere.
To educate us a bit more...
I post a handgun on your site for $1000...it sells to someplace in BFE. That buyer pays you #1030.00 with his credit card ...you send me a shipper from your FFL
and I ship it directly to his FFl, correct?....buyer comes in and say gun is junk, don't want it, OK so far? ....When do I get my gun back and what does
the deal gone south cost me and what does it cost the disappointed buyer???
I'm in Michigan if the state effects this and how does the various sales tax laws work with all this?
Apologies Dave P. I did not address the tax question. We are working on the system to automatically handle the state taxes for the Buyer. As in most e-commerce sites that deal with secondary market goods, it will the Seller's responsibility to report whether they made a gain on their item from the sale if it is above a certain amount. Users need to do their own research on this piece currently until we build in that functionality. Don't quote me but I believe it is also dependent on whether it is a gain from the original price you paid for the item and whether you took a potential loss. Again, you would have to speak with a tax consultant about this matter since we do not provide tax advice. Hope that answers your question.

Ken.

Dave, please keep the questions coming. Keeps me on my toes and allows anyone reading this thread to know us better as a company.

Interesting that you say that the 10% is too cheap and I say that with the utmost level of curiosity. We considered 15% but the differentiating price between the consignment fee and our fee was only 3%. We had to make the gain enough for the Seller to go with us as opposed to their LGS. I would eat $30 to just drop it off with the LGS. But at 10%, we are putting $80 back into the Seller's pocket which I believe to be a significant gain. Some might argue that GunBroker or Armslist is not as expensive but they don't provide the services that we do, for example, the pre-paid label or the guarantees and payout system we offer.

The tax laws vary by different states, with the little research done after your question, in your situation, if you were to conduct a transaction on the site, because we itemize each of the costs, i.e. item, shipping, fees, only the item (pre-owned firearm) purchased would be subject to sales tax. This is not tax advice but a hypothetical situation.

Hope this helps you decide on using the site someday.

Please ask more if you have questions. If you have them then others might as well. If you know of anyone interested in conducting a transaction, please feel free to pass along the link. Thank you.

Ken.

Hi Dave, Sorry for missing some of your questions.
Yes, UPS Customer Centers will accept both handguns and long guns using a pre-paid label from an FFL that has a contract with them. I'm not sure about your question related to the UPS Customer Center accepting firearms from an FFL from a different state. To answer it as I understand it, it happens all the time. Also, our pre-paid labels are next-day air and there must be an adult signature at the receiving FFL for the firearm to be released to the FFL.

The options for the Buyer in your last post are correct. Unfortunately, "not liking the gun," is not a valid reason to find favor for the Buyer. Per our policy, the firearm must be significantly different than what was "as advertised." The Buyer's choices are to pay the FFL fee for the transfer and take it home or abandon it with the FFL however the money will have already been transferred to the Seller per our policy.

The Buyer has the right to dispute a charge with their credit card company. However, it is written numerous times in our Terms of Service and Escrow Agreement, which Buyers must agree to before purchasing the firearm, that there must be sufficient reason why the firearm that was received was not as advertised based on photos or description from what was originally posted by the Seller. The reason for the Buyer "not liking it" or a case of "Buyer's remorse" is not covered as a valid reason for a dispute. But yes, TGX would dispute any chargeback with written policies agreed to by the Seller and Buyer where Buyer had multiple chances to decline to purchase the firearm based on what was advertised in photographs and description provided by the Seller.

Regarding "abandonment," states have different legal requirements related to this subject. FFLs will have their policies related to handling abandonments. There are FFLs with policies that consider a firearm abandoned after their set limit of time set by them for the Buyer to pick up that firearm. After it is considered abandoned, it is their property to resell if they choose. Again, it would be a decision made by the FFL following their particular state laws.

Hope I answered all of your questions.

Thank you.

Ken.

contender

Ruger Guru
By the amount of detailed information Ken has provided here,, and the attempts at explaining the process,, all does appear legit.
I too,, like many others,, appreciate the fact that a person or business etc is willing to put forth as much detailed information to where honest people can feel more comfortable in doing a transaction.

What we have here may be a way for the very cautious buyers to have a better guarantee of buying a firearm sight unseen, with certain protections.

To Ken,,
In reading your explanation of a dispute. I have a question or maybe an idea to assist. How about using a good quality grading process,, like the "NRA Firearm Grading" scale to assist in determining if a dispute is valid or not?

Just a thought.

Ruger Guru, thank you for your input! As a newer company, this is the type of suggestion that we love hearing! Please keep it coming!

I will talk with my team to see how we can implement this. I really like this because it brings standardization to the website as well as people's description is in context to a standard!

Thanks for the suggestion! Please keep it coming!

We will look at incorporating but we want users to provide the best description they can so there will be no dispute. It should not just be a single mention of one of the below without a description. Perhaps we will implement as a drop-down… let us think about this. Thanks!

I'm assuming you are talking about the below information so we can be on the same page:

The **National Rifle Association (NRA)** has established widely recognized standards for grading the condition of firearms. These standards are crucial for evaluating a firearm's condition and estimating its value. Here are the NRA's standard gun condition rating terms for both **modern** and **antique** firearms:

### Modern Firearm Condition Standards:
1. **New**: Not previously sold at retail, in the same condition as current factory production.
2. **Perfect**: In new condition in every respect (sometimes referred to as "As New").
3. **Excellent**: New condition, used but little, with no noticeable marring of wood or metal. Bluing is perfect, except at the muzzle or sharp edges.
4. **Very Good**: In perfect working condition, with no appreciable wear on working surfaces. No corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
5. **Good**: In safe working condition, with minor wear on working surfaces. No broken parts or significant corrosion that would interfere with proper functioning.
6. **Fair**: In safe working condition but well-worn, possibly requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments. May have corrosion pits that do not render the firearm unsafe or inoperable.

### Antique Firearm Condition Standards:
1. **Factory New**: All original parts, 100% original finish, in perfect condition inside and out.
2. **Excellent**: All original parts, over 80% original finish, with sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood. Unmarred wood and a fine bore.
3. **Fine**: All original parts, over 30% original finish, with sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood. Minor marks in wood, but a good bore.
4. **Very Good**: All original parts, none to 30% original finish. Original metal surfaces are smooth with sharp edges. Wood may be slightly scratched or bruised, and the bore is disregarded for collector's firearms.
5. **Good**: Some minor replacement parts, metal may be rusted or lightly pitted in places (cleaned or re-blued). Principal lettering, numerals, and design on metal are legible. Wood may be refinished, scratched, bruised, or have minor cracks but is in good working order.
6. **Poor**: Major and minor parts replaced, extensive restoration needed. Metal is deeply pitted, with obliterated lettering, numerals, and design. Wood is badly scratched, bruised, cracked, or broken. Mechanically inoperative and generally undesirable as a collector's firearm¹³.

We are growing slowly but surely and would appreciate spreading the word about the company if users are so inclined. We will be placing an ad in this forum in the near future and hope you will help us grow. Thank you and always here for questions.

Ken.

Latest posts