The new Ruger/Marlin connection

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I'd link mine for ya but the mailman just brought it yesterday. :lol:

NRA members will likely already have it anyway. :wink:

Yeah, mine came yesterday, too . . . thus this thread.

I checked the magazine website and there is no link to either story . . . yet. That magazine doesn't update its site very consistently.

I tried to learn from reading the article if the new Marlins have a push button or other hammer block type safety. Photos looked like they retained the push button or cross bolt safety. And while at it what do they call that safety?

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I'm assuming from the volume of parts purchased in the deal, the folks in NC will be using existing stock as available for much of the training/transition period. I wonder how long before Ruger produced receivers will appear and whether those obnoxious safety buttons will be retained or discarded from the new production. One can only hope… :D

Froggie

hittman

Staff member
That article was excellent. They managed to cover a great deal of how they arrived at the first guns being produced.

It was interesting that they test fired "over 5000" rounds through one and had "about 10" failures. They were described as mostly mis-fires related to ammo, not the gun. That's impressive.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Green Frog said:
I'm assuming from the volume of parts purchased in the deal, the folks in NC will be using existing stock as available for much of the training/transition period. I wonder how long before Ruger produced receivers will appear and whether those obnoxious safety buttons will be retained or discarded from the new production. One can only hope… :D

Froggie

The cross bolt safety (CBS) is here to stay. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO. I have JM marlins with and without the CBS. The CBS is easy to ignore and/or switch out and I don't use it EXCEPT when loading and unloading that particular rifle which I think is safer.

I think all the mod 95s are made by Ruger, not old receivers.

And thanks to the OP for the tip on the article. I've been traveling and hadn't gotten to my mail yet. Just dug the AR out and read it. Good stuff.

37fed

Single-Sixer
A 45-70 with a can and a rail.10,000 buffalo hunters are flipping in their graves. I guess traditional is out, but I guess that's what sells.

The latest "RifleShooter" magazine also has an article on the Ruger/Marin 45/70. I sold my JM stainless Guide Gun and miss it. I still have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 but want another lever action. Was going to get a Henry, but then saw where Ruger bought Marlin, so have been waiting to see what they came out with. I'm impressed so far from what I've read on it. I can live with or without the threaded barrel, but with the cap on, it's barely noticeable. I am not a fan of the Crossbolt safety, but it can be replaced with a safety delete. I like the rail. You can have a traditional scope, scout scope, red dot, or change to any of them in a minute or two. Or the peep sight option is always there. I plan on getting one and a 44 mag when available.
As far as buffalo hunters rolling over in their grave, I imagine just a scope or fiber optic sight would cause that.

37fed

Single-Sixer
I am very glad Ruger is saving Marlin and Ruger always has the commitment to quality to bring forth a worthwhile product. (Some) older people like me have nostalgia for the guns we learned to shoot with, deer hunts in rusty pickups, walnut and steel. Same thing with single action revolvers. Looks like what Matt Dillon and Little Joe used on Saturday. Yes if the country was invaded I might not grab a lever action or a Blackhawk but for my own enjoyment I don't need bayonets or grenade launchers on my lever guns. Not what I buy them for. But again, that is what sells. I just hope when production catches up Ruger makes some more traditional lever products. The important thing is they seem to have retained the quality (Ruger and Marlin) are known for.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Well I just used a Marlin JM model 94 in 44 mag on a pig hunt. I actually have 3 original Marlin levers, a 336 in 35 rem, a 375 Win and the 44 mag. All have taken numerous deer and now a pig for the 44 mag. Can't think that I would ever need another lever gun as I also have a couple Savage 99s and a Winchester 94 in 30-30 but you never know what the new Marlin/Ruger will come up with.