The passing of a real hunter,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I have the displeasure of posting about the passing of a true handgun hunter. Mark Hampton recently passed away from a heart attack while on another African safari.
If you are a serious handgun hunter,, you should be familiar with Marks exploits. Well over 30 African safari's, countless handgun hunting trips all over the world. Often for very hard to get species.
He wrote articles for some magazines & has a book out.

And with the little amount of time I've spent conversing with him on a few subjects on another Forum,, I can say he was quite knowledgeable AND a fine gentleman.
May he Rest in Peace,, and prayers out to his wife & family.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
@tarbe and I met him while sitting in a restaurant in the Johannesburg Airport on our way back from Zimbabwe, he was a very nice guy. I read a bunch of his articles over the years, RIP Mark!

contender

Ruger Guru
I dug out my book by Mark. It's mostly a pictorial, showing a lot of his trophies from around the world. The Foreword was written by Larry Weishuhn,, and is quite good in itself.

As I thumbed back through the pages,, it still amazes me at the varied & hard to get trophies he was able to take over his lifetime. Especially using a handgun.

IKE

Single-Sixer
Mark bought an unmolested 7mmBR centergrip XP-100 from me a few years ago, just for the action, to rebarrel (can't recall the caliber) and later took it on one of his trips to Africa....never met him but we had several lengthy telephone conversations through the years.

He was a good man and will be missed.....RIP.

mh.jpg