The reason I have so much junk.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You know I should find some young guy starting out and gift him some of my tools. I'm never going to need a 48" or 36" pipe wrench (cast iron at that) again. Not to mention the size of combination wrenches you use to open the door on a firetube boiler. Now will I need by sightglass cutter. I could go on and on.

But I have this fear that someday, if all heck breaks out, I might need to go back to work.
I have a 500hp boiler open now for internal inspection. We have a sexual intellectual who refuses to use Neverseez on the water column gaskets so I refuse to clean the gasket surfaces. He does not know how to cut gaskets or gauge glasses. He buys cut gaskets and the glasses have been replaced with stainless magnetic columns with flap flags to show the water level. He is also having the cone and rear door rebricked by a contractor. Doesn't hurt my feelings any... I have done a lot of them through the years.

And if you sell, give away, or throw out something, within a couple days you are going to need it.
This. Every single time.

Also- never make the mistake of reorganizing. You'll never find half of your stuff again.

Lastly- don't fool yourself into putting something "into a safe place". That's just code for " you'll never see it again."

woodsy

Blackhawk
A large part of our problem is caused by saving stuff that belonged to relatives who passed away. After a couple decades it is easier to toss that stuff.

redhawker

Buckeye
My wife was a teacher, and we had a room in the house where she stored her teaching supplies/books/etc. Some of it would get buried in that room, so the next year we'd go to find whatever book she needed, and we either couldn't find it, or it would be so far back and buried in the room we'd just go buy a new one so we didn't have to do a major search trying to find the one she already had. When we moved last year, we found 3 and 4 copies of some of those books.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
My garage has a window into another dimension. Has to be, because stuff that I carefully place in there immediately goes to the twilight zone!
I know what you mean. I have a recliner that consumes pocket knives. I hope that wherever they go they think well of me. I mean I tried to take care of them...

My area of our home is in the basement and the covered area outside of this we call 'the fort'.... few years back my brother and I were clearing out my late father's shop of all the useless crap he had collected and I was just amazed.... then last year I was making my way though 'the fort' and realized; I got my father beat by a long ways.

I've already filled up a box of stuff to bring to October's East Coat Ruger Gathering.

My wife was a teacher, and we had a room in the house where she stored her teaching supplies/books/etc. Some of it would get buried in that room, so the next year we'd go to find whatever book she needed, and we either couldn't find it, or it would be so far back and buried in the room we'd just go buy a new one so we didn't have to do a major search trying to find the one she already had. When we moved last year, we found 3 and 4 copies of some of those books.
Somewhat similar- I used to have about six of those 5 gallon buckets, full of nuts and bolts. It got to the point where even though I thought I might be able to find what I needed, it took far less time to go tho the store and buy some new bolts. At one point I started sorting them- got through one bucket and gave up. Chucked all that ballast.

I used to be able to buy bolts by the pound. When they were on sale I'd stock up. Well, we moved here about a year and a half ago- and I gave all my nuts and bolts to my son in law, figuring they were so heavy to move and I'd just buy new when we got here. It had been a while since I had to buy bolts…I was in for a shock when I stopped by the local Ace. At today's prices. I must have given my son in law a couple thousand dollars in hardware!

The other day I noticed that I was missing a lot of caps from the valve stems on different tires. Lawn tractor, wheelbarrows, rototiller etc. So, I purchased a package to replace the missing ones. Yesterday, while searching for something else in the garage, I pulled out a drawer and lo and behold! there was about thirty of them staring back at me. This happens to me all to often. That's why I have so much stuff laying around.
Interesting.. Why I have "run out of room"... lol My father, depression Era, the great generation made use of everything. We built things and fixed things from scrap on our farm. My first job was pulling nails out of the wood a torn down chicken coop using it to build a steady. Even reused the nails, straightening them out.
Today we have such a throw away society because this younger generation has not been taught how to build things and fixed things nor do the have the amibition to do so. I taught even my daughter how to change the oil in her car. Her first car. She worked, saved and paid cash for it.
It would do me good to inventory everything I have so I don't buy it "again". I am glad I have children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. It's their inheritance I am building!! Lol

Its sad to see what happens with all of the stuff that someone has kept, thinking either that they might need it in the future, or that their children (or grandchildren) will make use of it. Then when the old person dies, the family looks at the house or garage or barn or whatever full to the gills with all sorts of stuff and decides it is too overwhelming to go through all what is there, and instead has it all just hauled off the local dump. The Swedish have a concept called "death cleaming" of reducing your belongings to what is truly important to you, and starting the process early in your old age.

I've never been a hoarder, or even a saver of old stuff, and periodically have gone through closets and storage areas and my garage and gotten rid of stuff while organizing what I still have kept. I only have a very small number of firearms, not like so many on this forum, and I probably (at the age of 81) should thin my "collection" to the few that I carry or count on for home defense or regularly take to the range. I know that my grown kids will not want the guns, and will see disposing of them as an unwanted chore, but I haven't yet gone through that extreme "thinning". In part, the low amounts I would end up with for selling some of the guns is not enough to offset the pleasure I get from just holding and looking at them, even if I am not shooting them.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I was upset at my wife for putting up my stuff that I had around the house... then I realized I didn't know what things she reorganized. I didn't miss them I guess. Only a few of them I needed them and she got them for me. But so far... I haven't lost anything.. that I know of.

Tenbore

Blackhawk
I had a nice repro M1916 holster for the 1911. I put it away where I could find it again. One day a few months later I was needing it, so I went to get it. I could not find it anywhere. I looked high and low, tore into all kinds of boxes, shelves bins etc. Nowhere was it to be found. I started thinking, maybe I sold it on eBay. I was doing quite a lot on eBay at the time. Finally, about two years later I was looking for some computer cables. They were in a box in the garage clearly labeled "computer cables." I opened the box and wouldn't you know it, right there on top was the holster! I still can't figure out why I would have put it in that box!

I still can't find my 10-gauge roll crimper :mad:

The A Team

Bearcat
Part of my problem is contained in this thought: "don't throw that away, you might need it or part of it later". Stems from overzealous frugality. Guess I was raised at a time when everything could be taken apart and fixed or repurposed vs today when it works or is trash.
My dad grew up destitute and has that mentality. The 50's and 60's were about working for pennies per hour while he was growing up. He is finally starting to realize he has more stuff hoarded away than he will ever use. Now that he's 76 and the last of his brothers alive.

I thought I would outsmart the problem by getting a house that without all the extra junk storage space. But apparently it's genetic because even with a smaller house I still lose things and go nuts trying to find stuff.

My maternal grandmother was extremely organized and downsized their stuff when she hit 80. Turned out to be a blessing because she got the photos and family momentos to us before she died. A few years later she was diagnosed with cancer and passed away 3 months later. Grandpa already had bad dementia and couldn't take care of himself.